DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sensible lightweight motorbike suggestions

SNACR

Does anyone have any idea if CCM bikes are any good? Unlike Triumph they are actually made in Britain - at least partly anyway.

I like the stripped back look where you can see through them. Have been considering the Blackout or the Bobber.

https://www.ccm-motorcycles.com/bikes/stealth-bobber/

The Triumph Bobber is also on my window shopping list, along with a BMW RNineT, but these are quite big engined litre+ bikes , whereas the CCMs are usually 600cc. This will be my first 'proper' bike.

I would like to buy British if possible.  The negative is they are reassuringly expensive, there are very few for sale, and they might be crap. Anyone know more?

2ZEVSRY66BACZPM2U6GAZZYUWQ.jpg

Edited by spunko

On 08/08/2018 at 19:18, Dave Bloke said:

I have a Suzuki SV650S,  it weighs around 165kg, which is light and is very narrow, I can get through gaps like a cat - things that are difficult for 4 cylinder bikes.

Yes, I've only just rediscovered this thread. That IS a sensible suggestion.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, spunko said:

Unlike Triumph they are actually made in Britain - at least partly anyway.

The majority of Triumphs are now built in Vietnam. That is a bit of a disappointment to me.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, MrPin said:

The Royal Enfields are apparently popular, made in India. They even have a proper instrument panel, which doesn't look like a Nintendo game podule.

I have nothing against the Indians but I wouldn't trust their engineering so have ruled them out. Confusingly, "Indian Motorcycles" like the Indian Scout, are made in the USA. But then if I were to get a US-made bike it would be a Harley of some sort. MrPin you are the resident Harley expert here, are the newer Harleys meant to be any good?

I did for a while consider the Street Bob, but they're so damn expensive.

51 minutes ago, spunko said:

I have nothing against the Indians but I wouldn't trust their engineering so have ruled them out. Confusingly, "Indian Motorcycles" like the Indian Scout, are made in the USA. But then if I were to get a US-made bike it would be a Harley of some sort. MrPin you are the resident Harley expert here, are the newer Harleys meant to be any good?

Yes, they are well made, but neither LIGHTWEIGHT nor SENSIBLE. HD now manufacture in VietNam, or maybe Thailand.

The Sportster will no longer be available due to changing EU regulations. They are quite sensible, but not quite lightweight.

I'm not sure where the Indian Scout is made, but that is quite sensible, and a lot more modern.

I've not heard anything bad about the Enfields. Anyone else here with experience? They seem to be selling well. I think the fact they are made in India is neither here nor there. We used to say that about Japanese stuff.

1 hour ago, spunko said:

I was having a drink with a load of guys from the Dorset Indian riders club the other night. (I was there on my CB1000R so lording my extra 2 cylinders over them all). Sadly they didn't care that much, and just seems to claim that my tiny jab bike had no soul. They may be right…

But the point is, that in the 'lazily engineered, poor rear suspension and won't go around corners' biking world, the Indians kick the Harley's ass every time. Harley's really are barn door engineering from the 1950's. They are an absolute bag of shite. Even their custom 'put-put-bang' engine noise is a result of cost-cutting, rather than a desire to create a particular sound.

Well that's that sorted then. I believe the Indian scout does fulfil the requirements of being "sensible and lightweight", if a bit expensive, but there must be a few on the secondhand market now.

I did look at one, but decided it was too lightweight.

For some reason, I have bought HD motorcycles more than any other make. A bit like all my shoes are the same.

Here's one that went round corners.

HD_1200.jpg

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...