• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JFK

Advice for finding good quality casual non-poncey boots

I need some new quality casual boots. I have smartish work shoes that I leave in work, I've got a pair of brogue DMs boots that are nicely breaking in and smart enough for work too, what I do need is a replacement for my goretex ankle boots I bought from Clark's in a sale about 3-4 years ago. They've lasted pretty good but are looking a bit scuffed and worn.

I'm after non-poncey cas boots, good quality that will not fall apart in 6 months, buy cheap-buy twice.

Any ideas? 

(posted on HPC too)

On the same lines as CATs, Dewalt Bolster boots - had them 10 years and were second hand when I bought them at car boot!

Kicked the shit out of stud walls and anything else stubborn that would not move. Mind quite a bit of them made up of Shoegoo now.

I too have CAT boots. Very comfy, but as I don't wear any clothes any more, they don't get much used. If you feel your boots are too poncey, try a trip to an oil platform. The poncey boot dunking trial will sort you out.

3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I too have CAT boots. Very comfy, but as I don't wear any clothes any more, they don't get much used. If you feel your boots are too poncey, try a trip to an oil platform. The poncey boot dunking trial will sort you out.

Got rigger boots too when they were on a deal, think they were outlawed for not providing enough ankle support or somesuch, still if I need to splash  through  some caustic oil slick at any time them I am sorted.

Just now, onlyme said:

Got rigger boots too when they were on a deal, think they were outlawed for not providing enough ankle support or somesuch, still if I need to splash  through  some caustic oil slick at any time them I am sorted.

Amazingly, you can't wear "rigger" boots in the North Sea. You can in the Mexican gulf however, but they give you a funny hard hat like firemen have.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Solovair.

Although, since the snip, I only wear high heels.

Welcome aboard the HMS Fishfinger, er leutenant. So many of the men are women here, but the navy must modernise.

Bought two pairs of casual boots from Hushpuppy.co.uk on sale at half price.  Really comfortable, not heavy duty enough for real work but good enough for everyday wear.

Kinda remind me of my "mod" days when I bought my first pair of fashion shoes, suede hushpuppies and wore them with hooped socks. I was quite cool in those days.

2 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Bought two pairs of casual boots from Hushpuppy.co.uk on sale at half price.  Really comfortable, not heavy duty enough for real work but good enough for everyday wear.

Kinda remind me of my "mod" days when I bought my first pair of fashion shoes, suede hushpuppies and wore them with hooped socks. I was quite cool in those days.

Mods! Stop this mod!

Reminds me of a trip out on the old Harley, where I found a bunch of scooter boys looking at an engine. Gave one bloke a lift to the nearest garage and back. I hope they were sorted. But basically they had bought the wrong machine.

Just now, sleepwello'nights said:

I used to have a motorcycle. It was fun riding it and hanging at the local café in Windsor with the other bikers.

What I found more fun was that the nice looking girls preferred Mods. I was easily persuaded to change my allegiance, but then I'm very shallow.

It's because they don't shit their trousers and wash with swarfega!

7 minutes ago, JFK said:

:D

I'm a clean biker. Yes I did have a Harley Davidson! I lived in Brighton, and had a white police bike. I used to ride around wearing pink jeans. See the beardie old biker's faces when I rode to the pub! Where's your bike then? It was Brighton I suppose!

23 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I'm a clean biker. Yes I did have a Harley Davidson! I lived in Brighton, and had a white police bike. I used to ride around wearing pink jeans. See the beardie old biker's faces when I rode to the pub! Where's your bike then? It was Brighton I suppose!

Repped for awesomeness 

31 minutes ago, MrPin said:

My GF used to wear pink jeans too, although her bottom was (thankfully) bigger than mine!

This is history, but I am still a complete cunt!:o

When my bike was out of action for a month or so I borrowed a mate's burd's pink Z1000. Got some interesting looks at Ryka's (Box hill cafe for those that don't know)

I've got a pair of Timberland boots. Fairly light, very comfortable. 2 1/2 years of daily (10-12 hours) wear in all weathers, plenty of walking in mud etc. Still waterproof and in good condition. Soles are about half worn but still plenty of grip. If I get another year out of them I'll consider them great value at £135.

10 minutes ago, the gardener said:

I've got a pair of Timberland boots. Fairly light, very comfortable. 2 1/2 years of daily (10-12 hours) wear in all weathers, plenty of walking in mud etc. Still waterproof and in good condition. Soles are about half worn but still plenty of grip. If I get another year out of them I'll consider them great value at £135.

Yeah seen some waterproof chukka timberland, seem worth it if last 3+ years as I'd be wearing them at least 3/7 days a week

58 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

When my bike was out of action for a month or so I borrowed a mate's burd's pink Z1000. Got some interesting looks at Ryka's (Box hill cafe for those that don't know)

Indeed I went up there a few times, when I lived round that way! Impressed by the bright colour BTW. Did think of having the Harley in pink, but not in Brighton

4 hours ago, Carl Fimble said:

Steelies!

Steel toe capped boots- there's no VAT on safety footwear.

Also, dragging lumps of steel on your feel is good exercise too, probably.

Remember getting my army boots checked for steelies as a student getting into clubs. but then I did look like a long haired reprobate.  unlike my number zero haircut (by necessity :/) nowadays