• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

how much for plans

At a guess you would get change from £20k but as they have advertised they will have £100k (if they get the funding) i`m sure it will cost £100k 

As for engineering drawings that must be bullshit ,the place has been standing for 100 years + just replace like with like FFS

Typically in this part of the world, costs of the project break down as:

75% actual work

15% Architectural, MEP DRAWINGS

10% PM

Of course, with different materials and labour costs, these may vary, but often the mistake on works is to skimp on drawings and design, which usually turns the whole job into a costly fiasco.

15 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

As for engineering drawings that must be bullshit ,the place has been standing for 100 years + just replace like with like FFS

I somewhat doubt that materials in use 100 years ago would be in use or available today.

Examples would be:

Lead pipework;

Vulcanised rubber electrical items;

Hardwood structural beams;

Fire-vulnerable surface coatings.

So, yes, some drawings would be needed to bring up to an acceptable standard.

7 hours ago, Bkkandrew said:

I somewhat doubt that materials in use 100 years ago would be in use or available today.

Examples would be:

Lead pipework;

Vulcanised rubber electrical items;

Hardwood structural beams;

Fire-vulnerable surface coatings.

So, yes, some drawings would be needed to bring up to an acceptable standard.

Would agree but  everything you outline is covered buy building regulations ,which the council employ someone to advise on and any one contracted to do the work would/should know ,but yes there would be "some" drawings required but £100K for them ? as for hardwood beams if its grade 1 listed i would imagine it would be like for like from them

After all it`s not like its falling down,and was still open last year 

1024px-Foxdenton_Hall%2C_Chadderton.jpg

Edited by Long time lurking

I was going to step in and say that it wasn't unreasonable for the work but checked myself and reread the OP.

£100k for architectural drawings is entirely off the scale. Unless they intend having some Fine Arts graduate spending two years capturing them in oil paintings.

I've been involved with remodeling a local historic venue and an architect very kindly did several excellent plans for a discounted rate. It was very complex and even then was only of the order of two or three grand.

Someone has their hand massively in the till at £100k.

It's the MEP drawings that might cost a bit more as the MEP in the refurbished building would be chalk and cheese to what existed from 100 years ago.

Costs would be higher due to the heritage of the building also, no doubt.

Hardwood beams would be illegal in this part of the world. Don't know about there, would have thought so, as chopping down oak trees is as frowned on on as chopping down rosewood here, surely?

Edit to add, we are bidding on the refurb of a beautiful French colonial building in the center of Phnom Penh. The outline price comes in at $115,000 for drawings, so not hugely different.

Its a UNESCO listed building, so same issues of not being able to alter much of it, despite the scope being strengthening and bringing up to 21st Century standards of use expectation.

28 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

It's the MEP drawings that might cost a bit more as the MEP in the refurbished building would be chalk and cheese to what existed from 100 years ago.

Costs would be higher due to the heritage of the building also, no doubt.

Hardwood beams would be illegal in this part of the world. Don't know about there, would have thought so, as chopping down oak trees is as frowned on on as chopping down rosewood here, surely?

Nope ,as it is, its grade two listed but if it was grade one it would have to have like for like on the inside and out.... grade two is more if not all about preserving  the outward appearance ,an architect don`t determine what meets the standard  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listed_building

21 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

But who and how do you prove it?

VEry hard to do ,there`s a case in a twon near me where the council had work done funded by an EU grant ,it was all over the local rag the cost was £160k 

The local busy body who is a thorn in the side of the local council lived right next to the foot bridge that was "overhauled"  long story short it was painted and had high viability/grip edges fitted to the treads, the work was done in three days by four men in a un marked van 

The council refused to give the name of the contractor that done the job when  requested under a FOI  request ,he`s still fighting it though  

10 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

So you can still chop down oak trees there and saw them up for use on houses. Wow.

Oak frame houses are all the rage for those that can afford it and i`m not talking refurbishing them ,built from drawing   ,although most of the Oak comes from Eastern Europe and France there`s not much left in the UK  now   http://thecompleteoakhome.co.uk/?gclid=CJnz_tjogNQCFcoW0wodTw8EOg

What a shameful thing. To think that people actually come over here from all over Europe campaigning against logging and it is going on in their own back yards!

You learn something new (and depressing) every day!