• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Architects: a licence to print money

Ok, so looking at getting a straightforward two story extension done. The last time I did this, in London, a very nice older bloke, one man band type bloke came round. Went way, came back after a week or two with beautiful hand drawn, old fashioned drawings that told any prospective builders what to do.  He did the planning permission thingy with the council (we paid the council their ransom money), got it into building control (again we paid their ransom money), all for around the 500 quid mark.

fast forward ten or so years, this time in the wilds of Yorkshire, an architectural firm, local, want well north of 2 grand for this. Ffs. 

Back on the phone.  

Does anyone have a ballpark figure of what I should expect to pay?  

51 minutes ago, Gloommonger said:

Can't help, but the only architect I know, runs a small husband and wife practice and has just got himself a £90k Tesla X.

I am not surprised given the amount charged for a bit of measuring and some drawings.  FFS.  The more I know about other professions, the more I realise that I made some daft choices....

I regard them with about the same contempt as estate agents, piss poor middle men charging big fees to make a process more difficult and time consuming. As a lowly tradesman, I particularly enjoy spending days quoting work, time that I will never see a penny for, which once passed on to the professional and their business heading added to my work, they get to charge the end customer for. Also beware terms and conditions that mean unless you are willing to take your chances in court, they get paid regardless, even when they carry out work contrary to the explicit written instructions of the client - that was a £15k lesson in reading the contract for my folks a few months back.

So how many are there on here xD

46 minutes ago, One percent said:

I am not surprised given the amount charged for a bit of measuring and some drawings.  FFS.  

If it is so easy why dont you do it yourself.

If we take builders day rates at £150-250 say a day as a guide, the question to ask is long do you think it will take the architect from start to finish to visit site, discuss your requirements, draw the plans, review the proposals with you, then submit on a time basis including travel. therein lies your answer. Also factor in his qualification and PI insurance

2 hours ago, One percent said:

Ok, so looking at getting a straightforward two story extension done. The last time I did this, in London, a very nice older bloke, one man band type bloke came round. Went way, came back after a week or two with beautiful hand drawn, old fashioned drawings that told any prospective builders what to do.  He did the planning permission thingy with the council (we paid the council their ransom money), got it into building control (again we paid their ransom money), all for around the 500 quid mark.

fast forward ten or so years, this time in the wilds of Yorkshire, an architectural firm, local, want well north of 2 grand for this. Ffs. 

Back on the phone.  

Can you sort that 'story' shit out now before CP starts the sub-editing of your posts.

It might be that the old lboke in Lodon was doing it for beer mney - every paid off.

And the ew firm are having to pay for stuff.

It could also be that that the new firm gets inundated with pie in he sky conversions, so are setting a highish inital fee to discourage idiots who think they can build a 5 bedroom extension to a 2br cottage..

Do the planning stuff yourself it's easy. Just look at what others have done on their applications and nick it. I got a local firm to do porch plans recently and it was £280 the  rest I did myself. This was Listed Building Consent too. 

There are sites which will give you a block and location plan for about a tenner. 

If your house isn't listed or a national park or SSSI etc,  and the extension is pretty straightforward and you did all of it yourself except the measuring and plans then I reckon you could get it done for 600 quid odd.  It'll take months and months though,  for the council to decide. Allow for about 4 months minimum. 

Paid £500 for some drawings showing position of new first floor window and room plans. Couldnt of been any simpler really.

I then had to pay planning and building contol fees on top, but architect did submit drawings direct to planning so saved me an email :-)

Edited by snaga

Cheers all. I’ve alred done the preplanning submission all I need are the drawings. I’m thinking 1 k is generous for these. Confirmed by comments. 

Got a trusted local builder today who put me into his guy. Beer money type so should be golden 

4 hours ago, One percent said:

Back on the phone.  

Won't get anything for less than £1k.

I need work done but I'm holding back until the HPC which is finally coming...

Builders and associates like architects having been troughing for years, charging WTF they liked.

When they are desperate for business, I'll give them a call ;)

3 hours ago, One percent said:

I am not surprised given the amount charged for a bit of measuring and some drawings.  FFS.  The more I know about other professions, the more I realise that I made some daft choices....

Read a article awhile back from their own chartered body or something, most architects end up leaving the profession and going off to do something else. Sounded like a lot end up under-employed. Loads will end up on the scrap heap as well when each recession hits. Quick look on glassdoor shows the majority of architecture jobs pay £30k...after 6 years of study and 2 years treated as a glorified tea boy. Fuck. That.

I'm guessing you're dealing with a firm with fancy premises etc? Why not find a one man band working out his shed?

When I used to watch Kevin McCloud's 'Grand Designs I used to note that Architects would be 'sacked' fairly quickly by the clients once the drawings have been done to save money.

If I could go back in time to the days of the student grants, I would have liked to have trained as an Architect. Hopefully they don't all get sacked as quickly as they often are in Grand Designs.

There's a lot of professions which have it easy/take the piss out of the rest of us: doctors/nurses/teachers/firemen/council officers. Wouldn't put architects anywhere near that list.

5 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Read a article awhile back from their own chartered body or something, most architects end up leaving the profession and going off to do something else. Sounded like a lot end up under-employed. Loads will end up on the scrap heap as well when each recession hits. Quick look on glassdoor shows the majority of architecture jobs pay £30k...after 6 years of study and 2 years treated as a glorified tea boy. Fuck. That.

I'm guessing you're dealing with a firm with fancy premises etc? Why not find a one man band working out his shed?

I did a trawl of the planning portal and went with the one who seemed to have done a lot of the plans.  Couple of builders I poke to after booking them in for a cha did the teeth sucking thing, saying that’ll cost you.  

Now done another trawl and found three one man bands who are coming to give me a quote next week. 

I will report back. 

3 hours ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

I think £2k is very reasonable.   Well, of course it's not, but... 
I mean, I build extensions, and haven't heard of anyone paying so little in a long time.  Does your 2k estimate include for a structural engineer?

Why would I need a structural engineer?  Didn’t need one with the last one I did. Just need a good builder. Are you available?  xD

1 hour ago, JackieO said:

I need work done but I'm holding back until the HPC which is finally coming...

It is isnt it. Im seeing reductions left right and centre. Still utterly insane prices that you'd be a fucken idiot to entertain but it really is starting.

Prior to the initial stock market crash in 2007 i sold all my shares as i knew it was coming ... Feels the same this last couple of weeks.

Good luck to carney dropping rates when the usa is raising to protect the dollar as the reserve currency.

Edited by Banned