• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Chewing Grass

I hate technology (for the sake of it) - Luddite thread

Having completely grown sick and fed up with how fab driverless technology is mantra, what tech for tech sake technology does everyone else either hate, think is totally pointless or will make like worse or less enjoyable from a human perspective.

Nickola Tesla once stated that “There is a difference between progress and technology, progress benefits mankind. Technology does not necessarily do that.”

Then some American with pots of money used his name to stick on his cars, suppose it's got a funkier ring than Musk Autos.

Edited by Chewing Grass
fuckin comprehensive spelling

5 minutes ago, MrPin said:

What's wrong with a proper gearstick and parking brake?:D

Things that have worked satisfactorly for over a hundred years with mechanical rods and cables so why complicated them with electricity and magnetism.

15 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

It will have some useful applications, but I think the IoT is going to generally be a buggy, superfluoous insecure blight on humanity.

Yep, one recent DOS attack was carried out by the hacking and utilisation of Internet enable cameras. It's only a matter of time before they rise up against us. I'm not having that Aamzon Echo thing listening to me in my house.

7 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Yep, one recent DOS attack was carried out by the hacking and utilisation of Internet enable cameras. It's only a matter of time before they rise up against us. I'm not having that Aamzon Echo thing listening to me in my house.

Might get one but with a lead cover!

29 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Things that have worked satisfactorly for over a hundred years with mechanical rods and cables so why complicated them with electricity and magnetism.

If I get one with the wheel on the wrong side, I get in the other door, to avoid an arse accident!:CryBaby:

35 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

It will have some useful applications, but I think the IoT is going to generally be a buggy, superfluoous insecure blight on humanity.

Who are you to deny my toaster a hundred other toaster friends, on Facebook, it's never met?

1 minute ago, SNACR said:

Who are you to deny my toaster a hundred other toaster friends, on Facebook, it's never met?

Whats wrong with an analogue toaster why make the fuckers digital!

Brainwave, patent a dot matix toaster like a thermal printer that can turn your toast into sepia toned photographs.

29 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

If you were married to my wife you'd be looking forward to driverless cars.

Otherwise - sure. Electronic parking brakes - why?

Makes sense on autos, where you never really use it, in reducing cabin clutter and a faster departure. I wish they didn't sound like an underpowered electric screwdriver though - or they at least they used some sound-deadening material so the screeching noise offended my ears less.

33 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Whats wrong with an analogue toaster why make the fuckers digital!

Brainwave, patent a dot matix toaster like a thermal printer that can turn your toast into sepia toned photographs.

Actually pointless digital buttons do really annoy me. I don't understand how they're any improvement over a volume or tuning dial.

Even more absurd is car dash displays replacing analogue dials with an LCD screen which then displays a graphic of an analogue dial FFS - actually do I win the thread with that?

Edited by SNACR

35 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

If you were married to my wife you'd be looking forward to driverless cars.

Otherwise - sure. Electronic parking brakes - why?

So you could get some action with her on the back seat? :Beer:

Regarding cars, I loathe most of the unnecessary (IMO) electrical stuff in new cars e.g. outside temperature indicator, heated seats. More to go wrong! But everyone to their own. I'd be happy with windows that have a handle to open or close the window! My  19 year old vehicle has electric windows and central locking but apart from that it's very basic.

I prefer simple basic stuff but maybe that's because I'm older?

I'm an IT guy and fully agree with the Luddite OP. When it comes to holiday time I try to go somewhere without the interwebs. If by some freak of chance the place does have connection I steadfastly ignore it. The most technology I allow myself is the good old fashioned wireless for the morning news from the So-Called BBC to make me angry enough to do a poo.

1 minute ago, The Idiocrat said:

So you could get some action with her on the back seat? :Beer:

At Mrs Chewys age the car would need a lube dispenser as well, I think a van with a double bed in the back with a TV , Tea/Coffee facilities and toilet arrangements would be a better proposition.

1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

heated seats

One of the most unnerving things I have ever had in a car, used them once to see and never again. Something unnatural about it and feels like using a recently vacated public toilet.

Fully agree with heated seats in cars. When I first met Mrs Hartman she had a car that had them. It was something I'd never experienced before and she turned them on without me knowing one day when we were out for a drive.

I sat there in absolute horror thinking I'd just uncontrollably pissed myself.

1 minute ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Fully agree with heated seats in cars. When I first met Mrs Hartman she had a car that had them. It was something I'd never experienced before and she turned them on without me knowing one day when we were out for a drive.

I sat there in absolute horror thinking I'd just uncontrollably pissed myself.

It is always better to lose control in private, rather than public transport!

27 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Gallic Crooner Jean-Jacques Goldman predicted it all 20 years ago

Jean Jacques has moved to the UK, can't stand France anymore and has his kids in an English school.

Edited by davidg