• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Real Life Journey Times

FFS, I was driving in central Scotland yesterday and it took me two hours to travel 60 miles. That's like 30mph. There were no accidents etc, it was just normal "rush hour" traffic made worse by people going to a football match.

I'd honestly be happy with the price of fuel going up to reduce congestion or paying for road pricing. Anything has to be better than standing still on a motorway.

1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

FFS, I was driving in central Scotland yesterday and it took me two hours to travel 60 miles. That's like 30mph. There were no accidents etc, it was just normal "rush hour" traffic made worse by people going to a football match.

I'd honestly be happy with the price of fuel going up to reduce congestion or paying for road pricing. Anything has to be better than standing still on a motorway.

Try driving in London, then you have something to complain about. 

The m25, the largest car park in the world 

26 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

be carefull of what you wish for,within 10 years you could end up driveing from london to glassgow and be geting hit by sevral areas polution taxes charges,londons got away with it others will want some of that free cash

7 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Bloody hell. What is it like doing 30mph? Can you still breathe at that speed?

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Try driving in London, then you have something to complain about. 

The m25, the largest car park in the world 

When you work out how much your time is worth the cost of congestion is horrendous. I'd imagine most people would be happy spending £5 plus an hour to prevent being stuck in traffic. An airline pilot/ brain surgeons time could be tens of thousands an hour. 

Congestion must be costing the economy billions a year. It's a cost that's never discussed by the So-Called BBC etc when they say immigration is brilliant.

4 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

be carefull of what you wish for,within 10 years you could end up driveing from london to glassgow and be geting hit by sevral areas polution taxes charges,londons got away with it others will want some of that free cash

A litre of fuel should cost a lot more than it does.... The price of motoring has went right down because modern diesels are so economical. Cheap motoring means every dickehead can afford a car meaning congested streets. Put the cost of fuel up and roads get less crowded.

2 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

When you work out how much your time is worth the cost of congestion is horrendous. I'd imagine most people would be happy spending £5 plus an hour to prevent being stuck in traffic. An airline pilot/ brain surgeons time could be tens of thousands an hour. 

Congestion must be costing the economy billions a year. It's a cost that's never discussed by the So-Called BBC etc when they say immigration is brilliant.

Exactly. We need to curb immigration which puts pressure on a creaking infrastructure, rather than charge those using the roads to get to work. 

Perhaps we should just ban those who are a drain on society from using cars. Not joking. It’s the sap taxpayer paying for it, they need preferential access. 

My 10 mile commute takes 45-55 minutes on average in the car, about the same on my push bike (40 there, 50+ back as more climbing) and I'm definitely no bradly whatisface-fast on a bike. If there's an accident/traffic lights etc then its 1h+. Too many cars :(

2 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

My 10 mile commute takes 45-55 minutes on average in the car, about the same on my push bike (40 there, 50+ back as more climbing) and I'm definitely no bradly whatisface-fast on a bike. If there's an accident/traffic lights etc then its 1h+. Too many cars :(

Where abouts? 

4 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

I have a 12km commute, 30 minutes in the car, 30 minutes on the bike with about a 200 meters of climbing according to me phone (100m each way). But at the moment I have to get a very long, cold shower when I get to work which tips it in favour of the car. If I take the eBike I can zap the shower but it is a bit slower.

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Where abouts? 

Bradistan

2 minutes ago, Dave Bloke said:

I have a 12km commute, 30 minutes in the car, 30 minutes on the bike with about a 200 meters of climbing according to me phone (100m each way). But at the moment I have to get a very long, cold shower when I get to work which tips it in favour of the car. If I take the eBike I can zap the shower but it is a bit slower.

Mines 700ft of climbing on the way in to work, 1400ft on the way back. I did it for ages on a not to road legal ebike, even in snow, until someone nicked it, and I was quicker consistently on it than in the car. Must say the ebike is a lot more tempting in winter - put the waterproofs on and off you go - may get another! Fortunately I can gypsy shower and I've had no complaints about odour yet.

1 minute ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Bradistan

Mines 700ft of climbing on the way in to work, 1400ft on the way back. I did it for ages on a not to road legal ebike, even in snow, until someone nicked it, and I was quicker consistently on it than in the car. Must say the ebike is a lot more tempting in winter - put the waterproofs on and off you go - may get another! Fortunately I can gypsy shower and I've had no complaints about odour yet.

Christ, sounds like oop north is worse than London. I’m often traveling all over London in rush hour. A pain but never that slow. 

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Exactly. We need to curb immigration which puts pressure on a creaking infrastructure, rather than charge those using the roads to get to work. 

Perhaps we should just ban those who are a drain on society from using cars. Not joking. It’s the sap taxpayer paying for it, they need preferential access. 

I don't think we can blame this on immigration. I think it is that people can no longer afford to live where they need to be.

20 years ago a 10 mile commute would be exceptional. Now, a 100 mile trip is not uncommon.

Add in the distance people need to travel to school and the lack of local shops and you create gridlock.

I commute.  70 mile round trip per day.  It is thinking time in my own car.  I loathe public transport as people are beyond anti social, sniffing and talking shite on their phones, eating.  Horrible expensive experience.  

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Christ, sounds like oop north is worse than London. I’m often traveling all over London in rush hour. A pain but never that slow. 

Mines probably made worse by the central location, the first 2.5miles takes 20minutes on average. I'd guess the Leeds - Manchester 'belt' is all just as bad though from other journeys I've taken to sites first thing. Don't know what the answer would be other than too many cars. 

9 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Bradistan

with the heat in the south of France the eBike is a godsend in the summer months but I have a legal one with a 25kph top speed, which is a bit pedestrian. I'm quicker on almost every leg on my pedal bike except two sections of uphill. In the summer I have to leave early on the pedal bike or I cook, which I don't like.

Anyone else heard of the "stadium effect"? Imagine a stadium full of sitting people watching a football game. Someone stands up to get a better view. Everyone else then stands up to get a better view as well. Since everyone is now standing up they are getting the same view as when everyone was sitting, however everyone is now worse off as they are now standing....

I'd argue that driving cars shows the stadium effect as well... Cars would genuinely be awesome if less people had them. As it is people are posting details of commutes being quicker by bike....

1 minute ago, Dave Bloke said:

with the heat in the south of France the eBike is a godsend in the summer months but I have a legal one with a 25kph top speed, which is a bit pedestrian. I'm quicker on almost every leg on my pedal bike except two sections of uphill. In the summer I have to leave early on the pedal bike or I cook, which I don't like.

You need to get that limiter up :) Mine had an easy solution, set the wheel size to 16". Also had a 500w motor though. 14mph up 4% hills and 22mph on flats. Was single speed so I topped out at 24 really. I miss the dam thing, especially in winter as the traffic gets worse when the weather gets worse :( Snow days are hell... I'm tempted to get some snow tyres for my MTB and use that on snow days as it can take 2h+ when it snows.

20 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Bradistan

You go over pennines on an ebike??

7 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Anyone else heard of the "stadium effect"? Imagine a stadium full of sitting people watching a football game. Someone stands up to get a better view. Everyone else then stands up to get a better view as well. Since everyone is now standing up they are getting the same view as when everyone was sitting, however everyone is now worse off as they are now standing....

I'd argue that driving cars shows the stadium effect as well... Cars would genuinely be awesome if less people had them. As it is people are posting details of commutes being quicker by bike....

I think that this was also a problem in Victorian London. Horse drawn carriages rather than cars of course 

33 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

A litre of fuel should cost a lot more than it does.... The price of motoring has went right down because modern diesels are so economical. Cheap motoring means every dickehead can afford a car meaning congested streets. Put the cost of fuel up and roads get less crowded.

with these new regulations for mots many cars will soon be financialy unviable,also more lycra clad terrorists will be on the roads if costs go up.

2 hours ago, Great Guy said:

that's a long time to be without chips