• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
spunko

Pigeon fanciers

Recommended Posts

I know it's a long shot but are there any DOSBODers who are pigeon fanciers? I am told this is the correct term. Someone who keeps pigeons, doves etc. I have an old dovecote in my garden which I've been renovating, and am considering getting a few white fantail type doves, but that's about as much knowledge as I have. :ph34r:

The world of pigeon fancying seems to be dominated by men in large coats like Mr Pin.

So that's why I'm asking here. o.O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

I know it's a long shot but are there any DOSBODers who are pigeon fanciers? I am told this is the correct term. Someone who keeps pigeons, doves etc. I have an old dovecote in my garden which I've been renovating, and am considering getting a few white fantail type doves, but that's about as much knowledge as I have. :ph34r:

The world of pigeon fancying seems to be dominated by men in large coats like Mr Pin.

So that's why I'm asking here. o.O

Have you also got a moat?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, One percent said:

Have you also got a moat?  

Not any more, it's been filled in to make way for my new folly.

it isn't a nice dovecote, actually it's quite ugly, but i wasn't sure on the legality of tearing it down. Bit like this:

cote.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Not any more, it's been filled in to make way for my new folly.

it isn't a nice dovecote, actually it's quite ugly, but i wasn't sure on the legality of tearing it down. Bit like this:

cote.jpg

That’s nice but doesn’t look that old. I was thinking it would be more brick built. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other thing I was going to ask, to those who are good at woodwork, how would I go about constructing a feeding tray to attach to the post? It'll basically be a tray supported by shelf brackets, but the difficulty will be cutting the hole in the middle for the post (10cm x 10cm). You can see they've made one here:

The-Essex-Dovecote-.jpg

I am assuming it should be done by making it out of two parts, both parts cut into 3-sided parts to make a hexagon. What tools would be needed for that, I've got a mitre saw. You can buy them but they cost about £40 so I'd rather not.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, One percent said:

That’s nice but doesn’t look that old. I was thinking it would be more brick built. 

The world of pigeon fanycing is actually quite interesting, if you ignore the shady characters. I didn't realise you could pay £500 for a dove with a flat nose like a bulldog, or that there are doves that roll in loop-de-loop when flying.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

The other thing I was going to ask, to those who are good at woodwork, how would I go about constructing a feeding tray to attach to the post? It'll basically be a tray supported by shelf brackets, but the difficulty will be cutting the hole in the middle for the post (10cm x 10cm). You can see they've made one here:

The-Essex-Dovecote-.jpg

I am assuming it should be done by making it out of two parts, both parts cut into 3-sided parts to make a hexagon. What tools would be needed for that, I've got a mitre saw. You can buy them but they cost about £40 so I'd rather not.

 

Give me the dimensions I'll make one for you if you don't want the hassle, loads of spare wood lying around. If not, don't need a mitre saw just make your own cutting blocks/guides at the correct angle with sheet of material and fence(s) and use a normal hand saw following the fence line for the cuts. Don't need to edge joint the boards (a biscuit jointer would be easiest), can just use thin batten underneath and edging will hide the rest.

 

Parents in law had doves, quite characters, need to shake the eggs though after a while otherwise you'll have too many! Other issue is if you feed them you'll definitely have more rats!

 

Edited by onlyme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

I know it's a long shot but are there any DOSBODers who are pigeon fanciers? I am told this is the correct term. Someone who keeps pigeons, doves etc. I have an old dovecote in my garden which I've been renovating, and am considering getting a few white fantail type doves, but that's about as much knowledge as I have. :ph34r:

The world of pigeon fancying seems to be dominated by men in large coats like Mr Pin.

So that's why I'm asking here. o.O

Ghost Dog knows about pigeons :

screen-shot-2016-03-28-at-12-03-13-am.pn

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s a bloke along from my place who has been a pigeon keeper for years. He has a huge well kept shed/aviary for them. Most times I pass his place he has visitors who are obviously pigeon fans also. So I suppose it would be a sociable hobby if that was your thing.

His pigeons are often flying around then returning to their shed/aviary. I like the sound that a flock of pigeons make when flying.

All useless info perhaps but I see that bloke as someone who is passionate about his hobby and it also reaps him social rewards due to friendship and chats with kindred spirits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

We report a case of 53 year old female who presented with severe chronic breathlessness due to regular exposure to pigeons for last 35 years.

Was she living in the dovecote?

Her case might have been a side effect from her diabetes medicine.

More about it here http://www.occupationalasthma.com/occupational_asthma_pageview.aspx?id=78 just keep Tammy Flu handy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

 

2 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

Her case might have been a side effect from her diabetes medicine.

More about it here http://www.occupationalasthma.com/occupational_asthma_pageview.aspx?id=78 just keep Tammy Flu handy.

 

From link above. That is a very high correlation / incidence rate for those with high exposure to birds..

It is an uncommon and an under-diagnosed entity. Studies document 6000–21,000 cases per 100,000 persons per year for pigeon breeders in U.S [1] but the incidence in India is unknown.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, onlyme said:

 

From link above. That is a very high correlation / incidence rate for those with high exposure to birds..

It is an uncommon and an under-diagnosed entity. Studies document 6000–21,000 cases per 100,000 persons per year for pigeon breeders in U.S [1] but the incidence in India is unknown.

 

I suppose pigeon breeders will be going inside huts/coops etc so breathing in the nasty stuff. It wouldn't be as bad just having a dovecote in the garden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

I suppose pigeon breeders will be going inside huts/coops etc so breathing in the nasty stuff. It wouldn't be as bad just having a dovecote in the garden.

Oh yes, totally, day in day out with 10's  / 100's birds  in aviaries fluttering around is totally different to a few birds in the garden,   but what a risk for those absorbed in the hobby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrPin said:

What - you went all the way to Egypt to see some friggin' pigeons...?

You've more money than sense you mind Pinny - I can see shit-loads of them flying rats living in the allotments outside my back-bedroom window...!

And just to make you extra jealous, I can also see the Taj Mahal from the front one...!!!

Beat that tractor-boy...

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

4221396001_5808378875001_5808377420001-v

;)

 

XYY

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

What - you went all the way to Egypt to see some friggin' pigeons...?

You've more money than sense you mind Pinny - I can see shit-loads of them flying rats living in the allotments outside my back-bedroom window...!

And just to make you extra jealous, I can also see the Taj Mahal from the front one...!!!

Beat that tractor-boy...

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

4221396001_5808378875001_5808377420001-v

;)

 

XYY

 

tut, tut, black socks with white shoes, surely a fashion faux pas even in Hartlepool

have you seen Harry and Megs in the Royal Cottage ?

Edited by ashestoashes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People who keep racing pigeons are a dying breed (no pun). I have a relative who is getting rid of all her pigeon related stuff due to having a family and working full time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/08/2018 at 11:49, onlyme said:

Parents in law had doves, quite characters, need to shake the eggs though after a while otherwise you'll have too many! Other issue is if you feed them you'll definitely have more rats!

I understand that in early medieval England, when the population was low, and before anyone here had heard of jungle fowl, it was common to keep pigeons for their eggs. I don't know how productive they would be, but it might be a nice side-benefit

I also had in mind the @Carl Fimble dovecot, but I've visited at least one historic site which has such a thing, and my abiding memory is of the overpowering smell of ammonia coming from it. I don't know if that's a problem in small dovecots, but it's something I'd want to find out first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad sort of keeps them. Started with 4. They quickly multiplied so outgrew the dovecot, same as yours Spunko. He built a bigger one but then had to squirrel and cat proof it as they kept climbing in and either killing the birds or stealing the eggs. The doves won't nest if they feel they are threatened. Then a buzzard moved into the area and picked them off for breakfast, lunch and dinner. He was down to 5 when he decided to get rid and we took them to an auction. Sold them, but next day one must have escaped his new owner and returned. This lonely dove has now bred with the local pigeons and there are 17 of them sitting in the trees, but still feeding from the dovecot. A nice ending as my dad feels no responsibility towards them and just feeds them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.