DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Fixer Upper!

Frank Hovis

It's amazing that this has only been empty for twenty years; that's what happens if the roof isn't water tight.  Coming up for auction in September if anybody fancies a challenge in "Poldark country">

0_Mary-Celeste-House-1.jpg

Kitchen and vegetation:

0_Mary-Celeste-House-16.jpg

And the bed has fallen through the damp floor:

0_Mary-Celeste-House-13.jpg

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/gallery/inside-cornish-mary-celeste-home-1888358

A mate bought a farm in Normandy that was in a similar condition. Looked like it had been abandoned for 20 years or more. Then we found 7 year old newspapers. The winters must be harsh in Normandy.

8 minutes ago, jm51 said:

A mate bought a farm in Normandy that was in a similar condition. Looked like it had been abandoned for 20 years or more. Then we found 7 year old newspapers. The winters must be harsh in Normandy.

Could have been barely watertight for possibly decades before. Inlaws had a place in Brittany, we got to know the locals very well and the nearest neighbour was in her 80's and lived just in two rooms downstairs, the kitchen was still compacted earth presumably from the day it was built and the roof not in a great state of repair so probably leaking but not significant enough to leak through the to lath and plaster but probably already pretty dilapidated.  10,000's of similar properties must be coming up on the market in France every year in the rural areas.

Can't see that being retained unless it's listed or has some special history. The bodged extension connecting the two buildings (?) suggests it's not listed.

On 14/08/2018 at 20:21, Long time lurking said:

The fire station in Redruth looks intresting

Maybe, the £20k is cheap but it will take a lot of work.

The old chapel at Goonhavern was on for ages at a cheap price but it never seems occupied and keeps being relisted.

If you want a really big challenge how about a disused church in a prime location in Truro.

Estimated repairs bill: £4m.

IMG_4475JPG.jpg

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/stpauls-church-truro-demolition-fears-1269028

Long time lurking
2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Maybe, the £20k is cheap but it will take a lot of work.

The old chapel at Goonhavern was on for ages at a cheap price but it never seems occupied and keeps being relisted.

If you want a really big challenge how about a disused church in a prime location in Truro.

Estimated repairs bill: £4m.

IMG_4475JPG.jpg

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/stpauls-church-truro-demolition-fears-1269028

I looked at the auction site for the fire station ,the catch by the looks of it is the storage area at the back had planning granted in 2010 for conversion into a dwelling ,but i`m guessing the rest as a listed building would have to be restored to it`s original use ,it also seems the council had taken possession of the building 

• 3 months later...

Anyone know what this sold for in the end?

This also caught my attention, it's a very well done renovation. Now if only I had the money.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32861751.html

Before:  (not quite as bad as Frank's but not far off)

http://www.wightagents.co.uk/property/print.aspx?pics=true&id=16330

1 hour ago, steppensheep said:
Property for auction in Cornwall)

Pendeen, Penzance, Cornwall, TR19

Sold for £176,000

Description
End of Terrace Cottage Two Floor Three Room(s) Unmodernised Garden

https://www.eigpropertyauctions.co.uk/search/results

lot 27 in

https://www.propertyauctionsouthwest.co.uk/auction_details/10/catalogue.pdf

Another twats holiday let whilst the locals are all stuck with mum and dad.. or worst renting 

A few links I've noticed recently ...

£250k @ Aberystwyth includes 19 acres & a collapsed gable end https://www.propertypigeon.co.uk/property-search/aberystwyth-llanon-llanhystyd/sy23-1719056837?utm_source=newsnow.co.uk

£50k @ Tredegar, ready stripped, open plan, "cash buyers only" (walls removed without planning??) https://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/48744601?utm_source=newsnow&utm_medium=network&utm_campaign=aggregator&utm_term=08#tuoQd4QmzRzFSYFQ.97

£55k @ Alston (sstc), stripped, 1st floor missing !  https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/46397299#zhqF43yFWSKhHicm.97

£100k @ Todmorten. Ad says 5 bed detatched but I'd call it a Catherderal ! https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53842383.html

Or a whole village near Powys (they've already reduced it once so put a cheeky offer in ?) https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/05/whole-village-sale-less-price-luxury-london-flat-7686935/?

¬¬

With a lot of these old properties there are just a few things that will necessitate a major spend from the outset and additional costs in particular the roof. If you see a property with a heavily sagging roof then the chances are that you a looking at a complete new roof and timbers. Once you get into that territory you will struggle to live in the property so will be renting elsewhere or staying in a caravan onsite depending on circumstances. I'd be tempted to go for the latter for a year or two if stripping down the interior of a place and on a budget and have the space. If the roof has gone then the internal structural timbers are likely shot too or well on their way to being so. What you need to look for is a structure that is basically sound or can be made that way with just a little outside help. Major ground movement and subsidence / damage probably avoid. Most damp issues can be solved with some thought and appropriate remedies.

However if the roof is OK and the property has been reasonably watertight what can look like a nightmare project really doesn't need all that much skill to do 80% of the work, yes you'll need particular trades for parts of the work due to regs - plumbing. heating, electrics and probably roof repairs but the rest of it is labour and a lot of time. The raw materials for repair are still reasonably cheap if you buy them bulk or loose. Learn to point and repair stonework, render and plaster, do basic woodworking and you are good to go if you have a reasonable aptitude. Leveraging your labour is key, buy the right tools - cement mixer, paddle mixer for plaster, good powered hand tools and if any significant groundworks outside buy a cheap digger and sell on at the end of the project. A lot of the people you are bidding against will be builder/developers and they will be measuring job in their time almost regardless of the type of work that needs doing so the house to go for is the time consuming one that does not require the skill level.

I think the market has changed a lot - new build now smothered in regs and requirements is getting stupidly expensive - if you go for a smaller place that needs total refurb and an extension on top chances are it is going to blow your budget, you can cut all sorts of corners / make the appropriate compromises in refurb work and you won't have building control crawling all over you for the build to make sure you meet every reg. New build extension you'll have to adhere to every reg and insulate to within an inch of its life even though the rest/majority of the building could well have no insulation at all. Cheaper by far to buy the right sized building you want in the fist place and a lot less hassle, planning issues, architects fees, builder fees etc. Unless really proficient you won't want to be doing a compete self build yourself so going to be reliant on external trades for most of it.

Also if you can avoid listed buildings.

5 hours ago, Andersen said:

A few links I've noticed recently ...

£250k @ Aberystwyth includes 19 acres & a collapsed gable end https://www.propertypigeon.co.uk/property-search/aberystwyth-llanon-llanhystyd/sy23-1719056837?utm_source=newsnow.co.uk

£50k @ Tredegar, ready stripped, open plan, "cash buyers only" (walls removed without planning??) https://www.primelocation.com/for-sale/details/48744601?utm_source=newsnow&utm_medium=network&utm_campaign=aggregator&utm_term=08#tuoQd4QmzRzFSYFQ.97

£55k @ Alston (sstc), stripped, 1st floor missing !  https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/46397299#zhqF43yFWSKhHicm.97

£100k @ Todmorten. Ad says 5 bed detatched but I'd call it a Catherderal ! https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53842383.html

Or a whole village near Powys (they've already reduced it once so put a cheeky offer in ?) https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/05/whole-village-sale-less-price-luxury-london-flat-7686935/?

¬¬

1 and 3 maybe work looking at. 

1 - House from outside seems straight, roof flat and looks in reasonable nick, doesn't;t mean the roof tiles are not shot and leaking though.

2. Floor is missing but no real issue as long as walls still structurally ok. 

3 hours ago, onlyme said:

With a lot of these old properties there are just a few things that will necessitate a major spend from the outset and additional costs in particular the roof. If you see a property with a heavily sagging roof then the chances are that you a looking at a complete new roof and timbers. Once you get into that territory you will struggle to live in the property so will be renting elsewhere or staying in a caravan onsite depending on circumstances. I'd be tempted to go for the latter for a year or two if stripping down the interior of a place and on a budget and have the space. If the roof has gone then the internal structural timbers are likely shot too or well on their way to being so. What you need to look for is a structure that is basically sound or can be made that way with just a little outside help. Major ground movement and subsidence / damage probably avoid. Most damp issues can be solved with some thought and appropriate remedies.

However if the roof is OK and the property has been reasonably watertight what can look like a nightmare project really doesn't need all that much skill to do 80% of the work, yes you'll need particular trades for parts of the work due to regs - plumbing. heating, electrics and probably roof repairs but the rest of it is labour and a lot of time. The raw materials for repair are still reasonably cheap if you buy them bulk or loose. Learn to point and repair stonework, render and plaster, do basic woodworking and you are good to go if you have a reasonable aptitude. Leveraging your labour is key, buy the right tools - cement mixer, paddle mixer for plaster, good powered hand tools and if any significant groundworks outside buy a cheap digger and sell on at the end of the project. A lot of the people you are bidding against will be builder/developers and they will be measuring job in their time almost regardless of the type of work that needs doing so the house to go for is the time consuming one that does not require the skill level.

I think the market has changed a lot - new build now smothered in regs and requirements is getting stupidly expensive - if you go for a smaller place that needs total refurb and an extension on top chances are it is going to blow your budget, you can cut all sorts of corners / make the appropriate compromises in refurb work and you won't have building control crawling all over you for the build to make sure you meet every reg. New build extension you'll have to adhere to every reg and insulate to within an inch of its life even though the rest/majority of the building could well have no insulation at all. Cheaper by far to buy the right sized building you want in the fist place and a lot less hassle, planning issues, architects fees, builder fees etc. Unless really proficient you won't want to be doing a compete self build yourself so going to be reliant on external trades for most of it.

Also if you can avoid listed buildings.

I was with you until you mentioned plastering xD. Never given it a go but have read it's not difficult to do bad plastering but very difficult to do good plastering... Is that not the case?

Also number 1 in Aberystwyth seems very expensive to me.

56 minutes ago, spunko said:

I was with you until you mentioned plastering xD. Never given it a go but have read it's not difficult to do bad plastering but very difficult to do good plastering... Is that not the case?

Also number 1 in Aberystwyth seems very expensive to me.

It is a bit like painting - a lot of the end result is the prep, prep that  an experienced plastered would adjust for whilst working at commercial rates. If you spend the time on the  the backing render so that it is true and plumb then you are half way there. Start off small, work your way up and be very careful on what you try and bite off in one go - if it starts setting before you have it tight then you are screwed and will have to start again with another wet mix on top. I always use a two coat method - first coat slapped on quick, get it relatively level and then mix another skim coats and apply that - what it does is provide an evenly wet surface which doesn't;t draw out the moisture too quickly and gives you more working time. Always use cold fresh water for the mix, clean tools and mixing buckets meticulously, always use in date and as new a plaster you can find (increased workability time), all that helps. 

Key tool is the trowel itself, rock up to Homebase and buy a crappy steel sheet of metal on a handle and you'll struggle, plastered will wear their finishing trowel down, rounding the corners and wearing it in, Tyzack do a stainless steel ( no rusting which is great), pre-worn, pre-shaped Ready to Go trowel and find it very easy to use.

Oh, don't even think about doing a ceiling until you have done 5-10 walls well, they can be murder. Sometimes better to strip ceiling down, re-board and get pro in to skim over.

Re: 1., yes could be, the house probably isn't as big as the frontage suggests and all depends on local pricing.

Democorruptcy
11 hours ago, Andersen said:

¬¬

Err...?

Agent Daffyd Hardy placed it on the market in 2016 at £1.5 million, and despite getting all the above included in the price, they struggled to find a buyer.

Now the village is going for £1.25 million, which if you divide it by the 16 houses is just over £28,000 each.

18 hours ago, steppensheep said:
Property for auction in Cornwall)

Pendeen, Penzance, Cornwall, TR19

Sold for £176,000

Don't know the local area but that's daft money given the reno costs and what is it - a very small and quite ugly end of terrace cottage in not a great location.  The auction reserve was £50k FFS - must be a luvvie with too much money or (unlikely) a builder who's luck's about to run out.  Like the way someone's had the roof tiles off but the downpipe remains.  Done a few.  Saddest part is taking out all the old stuff.  What's a "modernised garden" FFS?

18 minutes ago, Harley said:

Don't know the local area but that's daft money given the reno costs and what is it - a very small and quite ugly end of terrace cottage in not a great location.  The auction reserve was £50k FFS - must be a luvvie with too much money or (unlikely) a builder who's luck's about to run out.  Like the way someone's had the roof tiles off but the downpipe remains.  Done a few.  Saddest part is taking out all the old stuff.  What's a "modernised garden" FFS?

IIRC it's got a great sea view. 

I personally found that immediate area too remote and exposed, I wouldn't want to live there!

1 hour ago, Harley said:

Don't know the local area but that's daft money ...

The story made the mail and the metro...possibly a clever bit of marketing by the seller. The firestation that sold for 59k had been bought for 25k a few months earlier. (If I remember my googling correctly)

1 hour ago, spunko said:

I personally found that immediate area too remote and exposed, I wouldn't want to live there!

I live on a hill with beautiful views.  And today, a mere 22mph wind so only a few slates, branches, and the heating full on.  Some serious fun to come later!  Lesson learnt - with such a view I can see why the houses and windbreaking woods are where they are! 

On 28/11/2018 at 17:46, Harley said:

Featuring these properties in the paper extends the possible number of buyers massively and they always go for too much.  I agree that somebody has overpaid.

On 28/11/2018 at 18:04, spunko said:

IIRC it's got a great sea view. 

It's windy, cold, misty and generally bleak.

I worked (not in Cornwall) with somebody from Pendeen and asked her how often she went back; the answer was "as little as possible".  She said the weather there was either raining ir about to rain and she had no desire to ever live there again.  Bleakness incarnate.

Archived