• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Long time lurking

Who is America

9 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Well it has taken 20 years for the world to forget Ali G 

Just watched the first episode, all i can say it`s Alig G on streiods  ,never knew he done this series 

It's shocking what people will sit there and take. Only watched two bits of it so far.

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

It's shocking what people will sit there and take. Only watched two bits of it so far.

That`s the best part of it ,you start to think what they must be thinking/feeling yet they still sit there and suck it all up 

19 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Just a taster 

I`m reading there was a member of the house of representatives lost his job because of a interview with Sacha anyone know who it was 

Interestingly, in the comments it was overwhelmingly 'Trump supporters', 'ignorant', 'inbred', 'all religions are equal' etc. Apparently, later on in the meeting they said they also didn't like black people, which probably doesn't help them.

16 minutes ago, mooncat69 said:

Interestingly, in the comments it was overwhelmingly 'Trump supporters', 'ignorant', 'inbred', 'all religions are equal' etc. Apparently, later on in the meeting they said they also didn't like black people, which probably doesn't help them.

In the southern states the smaller towns are usually white or black.

If that same pitch had been delivered in a black town there would have been the comment that they didn't like white people.

The south outside of the big towns and cities is segregated from choice. You won't get beaten up in the "wrong" town but you wouldn't buy a house there. 

1 hour ago, mooncat69 said:

To be fair he gives both side (well all sides ) a platform to show their true colours/stupidity 

2 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I used to enjoy Ali G when I thought it was quite clever.

Now I see this and it just seems like Jeremy Kyle..   it is a program to make stupid/suggestible people make fools of themselves for our amusement.  A bit akin to poking the disabled kid in the school yard until they cry.

I'm not sure if I've changed in my view of what's funny,  or if Sasha has taken some of the skill out of his performance.

Well some of those people were /are part of the US`s political elite ...i think that is the point ?

I take it you only watched the clip i posted ? 

14 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Now I see this and it just seems like Jeremy Kyle..   it is a program to make stupid/suggestible people make fools of themselves for our amusement.  A bit akin to poking the disabled kid in the school yard until they cry.

I'm not sure if I've changed in my view of what's funny,  or if Sasha has taken some of the skill out of his performance.

It was always that.

It's funny when it's pricking the pomposity of people who should know better, but fall for it anyway. Otherwise not so much.

1 hour ago, Libspero said:

Never found him funny in any of his guises but then I am a one man Glsagow Empire as far as comics and comic actors are concerned.

Mocking the powerless is the last resort for comedians and he is as guilty of that offence as much as any 1970s northern club stand up 

Just now, Long time lurking said:

Just a taster 

I`m reading there was a member of the house of representatives who lost his job because of a interview with Sacha anyone know who it was 

The 'N' word is funny.

3 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

Well some of those people were /are part of the US`s political elite ...i think that is the point ?

I take it you only watched the clip i posted ? 

Yes,   they probably should have been more guarded.  But I suspect they are just humouring a crazy guy and going along with him so as not to be rude or hurt his feelings.  Then bang..  the whole thing is televised and it makes them look like they really believe it.  But in a career threatening way because the whole thing is seen out of context.   I guess to me it just seems more like bullying than comedy.  I could just be getting boring in my old age.

On 12/08/2018 at 21:23, Libspero said:

Yes,   they probably should have been more guarded.  But I suspect they are just humouring a crazy guy and going along with him so as not to be rude or hurt his feelings.  Then bang..  the whole thing is televised and it makes them look like they really believe it.  But in a career threatening way because the whole thing is seen out of context.   I guess to me it just seems more like bullying than comedy.  I could just be getting boring in my old age.

That was how Ali G worked.  The character was incredibly stupid, verging upon "special", so the celebrity interviewees were desperately trying to be nice and helpful to them.

Then with some careful editing turn it around and make the interviewee look stupid and patronising.

On 12/08/2018 at 17:24, Libspero said:

Da Ali G show was great back in its day. This is dire and not watchable as you say.

One thing to remember also is that these shows are heavily edited, for every stupidly offensive question, there are probably 5 sensible ones that don't make the cut (purposely). Sacha Baron Cohen said this is how he gets people to say stupid things.

I've seen a couple of interviewees see through Ali G double quick. Namely Trump and JRM.

Any others?

Does anyone remember the Aussie guy that did troll interviews? Had pasty white face make up with bits of shaving cut paper on his face.

One of my favourites was him saying to Mick Jagger: 'I've been a fan of yours ever since you were in The Beatles.'

6 minutes ago, jm51 said:

I've seen a couple of interviewees see through Ali G double quick. Namely Trump and JRM.

Any others?

Does anyone remember the Aussie guy that did troll interviews? Had pasty white face make up with bits of shaving cut paper on his face.

One of my favourites was him saying to Mick Jagger: 'I've been a fan of yours ever since you were in The Beatles.'

Was it Dennis Pennis?

I haven't seen any of this comedian's other work, but the 'mosque' sketch seems designed to ridicule any objections to Islamification in the USA. Smug middle class hipsters can look at this and laugh at the 'racist rednecks', despite them probably have very legitimate concerns about Islamic immigration. 

As always, turn it around. I can't imagine any comedian going to an Islamic country and doing a spoof about building a cathedral there, or  going to a Muslim majority part of the UK and telling them a Christian evangelical centre will be built there. 

Used to think SBC was great. In Ali g, Borat.  Cringy stuff sometimes but funny.  Bruno was just on the edge between hilariously funny and horrendous. Then he tried a number on Ron Paul in that film. Well fuck you SBC. The one decent honest guy in USA politics and you tried to make him look like a cu*t. 

There's too much of the SJW about him now to watch him. 

I can't watch the new show after seeing one episode. The Israeli self-defence guy and the academic who wears the pussy hat are quite amusing, but the other characters are shite. I agree that heavy editing and cheap tricks are at the core of it.