• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Melchett

DART Charge bollocks

Just got notification in my email that they are upping the charge for cars using the Dartford river crossing.

All fine and good, except....  the charge is of dubious legality anyway. The fact that it is still in place was reneging on the promise that it would be scrapped once the crossing and a fund to ensure its future maintenance had been paid for (that passed many years ago) and is now reneging on the promise made at that time that the charge would not be used as a means to pay for other things.

Hey ho. I expect they expect the plebs will just bend over and take it up the ass again. After all, that has been the case for this charge for many years.

Interesting article here:

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/dartford-crossing-drivers-still-pay-499643

Copy of my email:

On the 1st October 2018 the charge for Class B vehicles registered to a Dart Charge account will be changing. As an account holder you will continue to benefit from a discount to the standard rate as shown in the rate table below. There are no changes to the discounted rates for any other vehicle classes.

Vehicle Class

Standard Rate

Account Holder Discounted Rate

(up to 22:00 on 30/9/18)

Account Holder Discounted Rate

(from 06:00 on 1/10/18)

A - Motorcycles, mopeds and quad bikes

£0.00

£0.00

£0.00

B - Cars (including trailers), motorhomes and minibuses (with 9 or less seats including the driver’s seat)

£2.50

£1.67

£2.00

C - Vehicles with 2 axles

£3.00

£2.63

£2.63

D - Vehicles with more than 2 axles

£6.00

£5.19

£5.19

Why is this change happening?

With over 55 million vehicles travelling over Dartford Crossing every year, there is an ongoing need to manage increasing demand at the Crossing.

The Government has also committed a further £10 million to reduce congestion at and around the Dartford Crossing. Highways England continue to work with local stakeholders, including Kent County Council, Dartford Borough Council and Thurrock Council, on traffic flow and safety measures that will be delivered over the next few years.

After nine years of operating a 33% discount for cars, the Government has reviewed how fairly the benefits to account holders are spread across different vehicle types and have aligned the Class B rate more closely to Classes C and D.

The new discount rate of £2.00 for Class B vehicles still offers road users a 20% reduction whilst making for a more equitable rate between different vehicle classes.

There are no changes planned for the discount rates for Class C and Class D vehicles or Local Residents Discount Scheme.

What do I have to do?

You don’t need to do anything as these changes will automatically apply and will show on monthly statements. You may wish to consider increasing your top-up amount to ensure your balance remains in credit.

If you no longer wish to be an account holder, you can close your account by emailing us at CustomerService@dartford-crossing-charge.service.gov.uk

Please note that without an account you will have to pay for every crossing made during charging hours at the standard rate for your vehicle. If payment is not made, then you may receive Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs).

Yours sincerely

Jane Henderson
Head of Operations
Dart Charge Customer Services

The toll on the Severn Crossing is disappearing soon; I never thought I'd see that for the same reason the promise on the Dartford crossing was reneged on.

4 minutes ago, Bod said:

The toll on the Severn Crossing is disappearing soon; I never thought I'd see that for the same reason the promise on the Dartford crossing was reneged on.

Don’t count your chickens till it’s gone.

1 hour ago, Bod said:

Just like the Mersey Tunnel(s)?

Or the Runcorn Bridge where they are replacing the free one with a chargeable one?

There was a similar promise made on the Forth Road Bridge tolls, they did stop charging though. 

Now we have a new bridge and it doesn't have tolls at all, I think some English people or Europeans maybe bought it for us or something...