• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Band

Ben Stokes - Not guilty

Just now, Banned said:

SO a bunch of drunks have a fight with each other, all as bad as each other ... vast sums spent on a 2 week court case and investigation when no one was really hurt.

And he's inevitably found not guilty, as was the man who he fought.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45182868

What a waste of taxpayers money.

SHould not have took 2 weeks.

These sorts of trials go before magistrate over n out in 20m with a suitable fine.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

These sorts of trials go before magistrate over n out in 20m with a suitable fine.

But he has a right to trial by jury if the sentence is potentially longer than 6 months. CPS should have just charged him with a lesser offence so this could be the case.

You'd need to be an idiot to refuse this than go up in front of the kangaroo court that is the magistrates.

Edited by Banned

Reckon he was pretty lucky, maybe a couple of cricket fans in the jury. The CCTV video was pretty damning. Perhaps not necessarily of being the instigator, but still. And the CPS not adding the assault-ABH charges at the correct time back in February - someone has been working behind the scenes on his behalf I think. 

Let's hope he learns from it, I wouldn't trust a guy who could behave like that with too much drink in him again. Imagine if he goes out drinking on the next tour to Oz and some of the local roughs see him and start winding him up.... As a cricket fan, I'd like him to be playing not behind bars....

1 minute ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Reckon he was pretty lucky, maybe a couple of cricket fans in the jury. The CCTV video was pretty damning. Perhaps not necessarily of being the instigator, but still. And the CPS not adding the assault-ABH charges at the correct time back in February - someone has been working behind the scenes on his behalf I think. 

Let's hope he learns from it, I wouldn't trust a guy who could behave like that with too much drink in him again. Imagine if he goes out drinking on the next tour to Oz and some of the local roughs see him and start winding him up.... As a cricket fan, I'd like him to be playing not behind bars....

I think he will struggle to get anyone to come out on the piss with him in future. This isnt "Beefy" "Lamby" and "Freddie".

This is a red head powder keg booze nutter. Hell of a player though.

"Celebrities" with a bit of a reputation for being/acting tough tend to get shit when they mingle with the public and drink (Surprised Danny Dire can leave the house)

Watched Nicky Butt getting wound up by two scrotes in a Manchester bar once, as he started to get up I pointed out that if he reacted they'd won no matter what the outcome as they'd achieved what they set out to do which was to provoke him into a fight. I suggested he buy them a drink instead. Fair play to him he did and they left not long after, deflated.

I havent really been paying much to it, other than catching some snippets on the radio. 

Last week it sounded like "I punched the guy because he said something homophobic and because I know some gay people that made me feel threatened" :Jumping:

Is this the standard, enlightened post modern defence? I can be a violent thug so long as I suspect, or claim to suspect that the guy i'm beating is some sort of thought criminal/un-person?

Is that what justice is now...who can get the most Champion Conformist points?

8 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Stokes lawyer refers to selective reporting of CCTV by media.

white, male, hetro, successful

Of course the media wanted to destroy him, duh!

:)

18 minutes ago, snaga said:

From what ive seen of the CCTV, looked like he was being a mouthy a dick as he cant handle his drink, bumped into some weedy looking idiots who also couldnt handle their drink and they had a but of fisty cuffs.

To me they just looked like the kind of bellends who think they're hard after a few drinks and get mouthy there are hundreds of thousands of this ilk all across the nation every weekend. Hence one of the reasons i've rarely gone out drinking in UK towns and cities for a couple of decades.

Edited by Banned

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

yep 150 quid fine and bound over to keep the peace would have been sorted in 20 mins has you point out.

34 minutes ago, Banned said:

From what ive seen of the CCTV, looked like he was being a mouthy a dick as he cant handle his drink, bumped into some weedy looking idiots who also couldnt handle their drink and they had a but of fisty cuffs.

To me they just looked like the kind of bellends who think they're hard after a few drinks and get mouthy there are hundreds of thousands of this ilk all across the nation every weekend. Hence one of the reasons i've rarely gone out drinking in UK towns and cities for a couple of decades.

it has got a bit nuts out there i agree,i wont go up the nightclub area of stoke has i know full well i can be a dick if im totaly pissed the problem is im not 21 any longer and what few teeth ive got left  i want to keep.its actualy an eyeopener for people that like to get totaly hammered to stay sober just for 1 night out with there mates the odds are high you will want to go home after 3 hours 

Edited by stokiescum

29 minutes ago, snaga said:

He is ginger. If not for the money and fame he'd probably be sporting a giant red neckbeard, and be strapping dynamite to himself and looking for the nearest pop concert to detonate in. 

14 minutes ago, Banned said:

I'm not saying he isn't a bellend, but you can be sure if he was from a minority, the media would have been defending him, bellend or not.

2 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

He is ginger. If not for the money and fame he'd probably be sporting a giant red neckbeard, and be strapping dynamite to himself and looking for the nearest pop concert to detonate in. 

Gingers are fair game!

5 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

it has got a bit nuts out there i agree,i wont go up the nightclub area of stoke has i know full well i can be a dick if im totaly pissed the problem is im not 21 any longer and what few teeth ive got left  i want to keep.its actualy an eyeopener for people that like to get totaly hammered to stay sober just for 1 night out with there mates the odds are high you will want to go home after 3 hours 

Thing is when i was in my teens/20s going out drinking it was just beer, now they drink all this Sambuca, drinks on fire and all sorts of crap that you dont realise the effect until 1 hour later.

Sad that British culture involves going out drinking until you drop, we do seem to be worse at it than anywhere else in the western world.

28 minutes ago, Banned said:

Yep, a nation of two can van dammes

26 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

yep 150 quid fine and bound over to keep the peace would have been sorted in 20 mins has you point out.

Yeah but then he'd have a criminal record which could affect his visa applications. 

Edited by Option5

29 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Yeah but then he'd have a criminal record which could affect his visa applications. 

thats a point id not thought about,i didnt even know that certain sorts of mental illness will get you barred from certain countrys,ie if your sectioned.its not all sections btw there are quite a few but even if your basicly better it stays with you.

Being a cricket fan, I've been following this trial closely.  In my opinion, the So-Called BBC had the knives out for Stokes from the outset.  Check out the So-Called BBC bias against him when compared with another source - both these articles were published regarding the summing up of the trial:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45169488

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/1155241.html

the So-Called BBC article's headline is "Ben Stokes trial: Cricketer 'lied about self-defence'".  It does not include any comments from the judge.

The Cricinfo article headline is "Jury set to consider verdict as Ben Stokes awaits fate", and includes these comments from the judge:

"The judge also suggested that Stokes' account had been "very consistent" from the first time he was interviewed by the police, on September 25, to his appearance in the witness box."

"The judge also said that the recollection of Andrew Cunningham, the doorman at Mbargo nightclub who suggested Stokes was abusive and had bullied two gay men, was not entirely consistent."

The only reason I still pay my BBC tax is so I can watch the cricket.  I don't begrudge Sky for the money I pay for the cricket coverage as it is pretty good, but I'm pissed off having to pay the So-Called BBC just for the right to be able to pay Sky to watch the cricket.

Now, i was prepared to put this up with kebab  pint and fight fuckwittery.

Two can van damme.

I thought the defending the gays was a 'Im sure that bloke said my burd had a fat arse' fight starter.

It does seem to be true.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6058845/England-cricketer-Ben-Stokes-arrives-court-wife-jury-retires-consider-verdict.html

And Ryan Ali....

2 hours ago, Lipid said:

"The judge also said that the recollection of Andrew Cunningham, the doorman at Mbargo nightclub who suggested Stokes was abusive and had bullied two gay men, was not entirely consistent."

Why didn't they ask the two gay men what happened? It would have been sorted out in five minutes. o.O

2 hours ago, Lipid said:

Being a cricket fan, I've been following this trial closely.  In my opinion, the So-Called BBC had the knives out for Stokes from the outset.  Check out the So-Called BBC bias against him when compared with another source - both these articles were published regarding the summing up of the trial:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45169488

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/1155241.html

the So-Called BBC article's headline is "Ben Stokes trial: Cricketer 'lied about self-defence'".  It does not include any comments from the judge.

The Cricinfo article headline is "Jury set to consider verdict as Ben Stokes awaits fate", and includes these comments from the judge:

"The judge also suggested that Stokes' account had been "very consistent" from the first time he was interviewed by the police, on September 25, to his appearance in the witness box."

The only reason I still pay my BBC tax is so I can watch the cricket.  I don't begrudge Sky for the money I pay for the cricket coverage as it is pretty good, but I'm pissed off having to pay the So-Called BBC just for the right to be able to pay Sky to watch the cricket.

Seems to have been two cricketer trials going on at the same time; in one trial as reported on by the So-Called BBC, a beefed–up cricketer thug mocked two gay men, harangued a doorman and assaulted some others causing grievous bodily harm (he should have been up for attempted murder) and was arrested and charged. In the other trial, in reports after the verdict, a brave sportsman defended two gay men from some homophobic abuses and attack from thugs and was thanked by the gay men who apologised for the hassle they had caused the brave sportsman.

10 minutes ago, satch said:

Seems to have been two cricketer trials going on at the same time; in one trial as reported on by the So-Called BBC, a beefed–up cricketer thug mocked two gay men, harangued a doorman and assaulted some others causing grievous bodily harm (he should have been up for attempted murder) and was arrested and charged. In the other trial, in reports after the verdict, a brave sportsman defended two gay men from some homophobic abuses and attack from thugs and was thanked by the gay men who apologised for the hassle they had caused the brave sportsman.

Yep.

For the record.

'Speaking to ITV West Country Mr Barry said: 'I thought he was just a normal guy, someone sticking up for someone who was weaker than he was, which was quite nice.

'When I realised who he was, I thought 'fair play', because obviously he's put his career at risk for someone he never knew.

'I'd say thank you definitely, thanks for being there. Sorry about all the drama we landed you in but a lot of appreciation.''

As thry werent called as witnesses i did assume the defending gays had been made up.

If only....