• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Byron

Bloody Metric

With Brexit looming, just how soon can we dump metric and get back to proper measurements.,

Horse power not Ps

Feet, inches etc.

Pints and gallons

Probably most of you are too young and would prefer to carry on with this Euro nonsense.

11 minutes ago, Byron said:

With Brexit looming, just how soon can we dump metric and get back to proper measurements.,

Horse power not Ps

Feet, inches etc.

Pints and gallons

Probably most of you are too young and would prefer to carry on with this Euro nonsense.

I like horsepower instead of kw or whatever it is now, ft-lbs instead of whatever that modern unit is, I use feet and inches for people, and distances, miles for longer distances though. Pints for milk and beer, gallons for petrol/diesel. I like grams and kilos for weights other than weights of people though.

I'm just over 40 if that has any bearing on this, educated to use metric but culturally imperial!

22 minutes ago, Byron said:

Horse power not Ps

Feet, inches etc.

Pints and gallons

It is HP not kW.

Why would you like horsepower?  It isn't even the power of a horse, ffs (a horse will produce 10 horsepower easy, possibly 15).

I would say that doing any unit based calculations is about 1,000,000* time easier in metric.  In imperial as soon as you're away from the normal compound units you're all over the place.  

[* sorry, 12*60*60*8*4.  Approximately.]

36 minutes ago, Byron said:

Horse power not Ps

Feet, inches etc.

Pints and gallons

What are you on about?  What is this thing called metric?  

24 minutes ago, blobloblob said:

You have 5lbs of ham and you need to share it between 6 people. How much does each one get? 

Depends on how much you like each of them.

13 2/3 oz.

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Not at my dinner table. No one is getting more than their fair share. o.O

If I shared it out in equal slices I bet you would be the one to get the tape measure and micrometer out!

Would it have to be an imperial micrometer?

Edited by OurDayWillCome

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Trick question.

Nobody would weigh cooked ham; they would just divide it equally by eye.

Aye.

In my household there’s no way that six folk would be allowed just under a 1lb of ham each in one sitting!

30 minutes ago, blobloblob said:

You have 5lbs of ham and you need to share it between 6 people. How much does each one get? 

If the plan is to throw the ham at a mosque then it’s three years in jail per person and five years for the person handing it out.