• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

MenACWY vaccination - caused by NEW people

Men ACWY jab: nhs.uk/menacwy

Cases of meningitis and septicaemia due to Men W have been increasing in England, from 22 cases in 2009/10 to 210 in 2015/16.

Why teenagers and students should have the MenACWY vaccination

Cases of meningitis and blood poisoning (septicaemia) caused by a highly virulent strain of Men W bacteria have been rising since 2009.

Older teenagers and new university students are at higher risk of infection because many of them mix closely with lots of new people, some of whom may unknowingly carry the meningococcal bacteria at the back of their noses and throats.

Anyone who is eligible for the MenACWY vaccine should have it, even if they've previously had the Men C vaccine.

The MenACWY vaccine is highly effective in preventing illness caused by the four meningococcal strains, including the highly virulent Men W strain.

Swamping services across the board.

Promulgating the housing bubble and the economics that goes with it. Increased debt, increased financial stress, lower pension provisions.

Unaffordable housing - disruption of nearly years of a generation - now knocking on two generations - low settlement and birth rates.

Congestion everywhere, not just road but trains at unacceptable levels - if there is an accident on one of the really overcrowded trains it would be carnage (no egress etc), there are masses of situations where anything like this would be immediately flagged as a severe H&S hazard.

When I gave blood recently, I had to be checked for malaria because I had lived in Hongkong (40 years ago! Malaria hangs around).

While this is quite sensible, I assume it has only now involves significant numbers and must be tested for due to the numbers of new citizens. Makes you think about what you might be getting that they haven't thought to check for yet.  (Fortunately, not too many of them blood donors).

(Slightly off topic, but I did read a while back that recieving blood transfusions might be associated with later life cancer.)

5 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Swamping services across the board.

Promulgating the housing bubble and the economics that goes with it. Increased debt, increased financial stress, lower pension provisions.

Unaffordable housing - disruption of nearly years of a generation - now knocking on two generations - low settlement and birth rates.

Congestion everywhere, not just road but trains at unacceptable levels - if there is an accident on one of the really overcrowded trains it would be carnage (no egress etc), there are masses of situations where anything like this would be immediately flagged as a severe H&S hazard.

Thanks, added them in. I think 13 and 25 might overlap a bit, but I'm sure there's more...

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

Men ACWY jab: nhs.uk/menacwy

Cases of meningitis and septicaemia due to Men W have been increasing in England, from 22 cases in 2009/10 to 210 in 2015/16.

Why teenagers and students should have the MenACWY vaccination

Cases of meningitis and blood poisoning (septicaemia) caused by a highly virulent strain of Men W bacteria have been rising since 2009.

Older teenagers and new university students are at higher risk of infection because many of them mix closely with lots of new people, some of whom may unknowingly carry the meningococcal bacteria at the back of their noses and throats.

Anyone who is eligible for the MenACWY vaccine should have it, even if they've previously had the Men C vaccine.

The MenACWY vaccine is highly effective in preventing illness caused by the four meningococcal strains, including the highly virulent Men W strain.

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES2015.20.28.21188

Historically, MenW has been a rare cause of IMD in England, accounting for < 5% of all laboratory-confirmed cases [4,5]. An outbreak of invasive MenW disease following the Hajj (pilgrimage to Mecca) in the early 2000s was soon controlled following mandatory MenACWY vaccination for all pilgrims [6]. In the 2008/09 epidemiological year (running from 1 July to 30 June the following year), MenW was responsible for only 19 of 1,109 (1.7%) cases in England. Since then, however, MenW cases started to increase, with cases nearly doubling annually in recent years (Figure 1).

Controlled but [perhaps] not eradicated and now, endemic.

Cheers.

Lives in the back of the throat, the spread among public is probably assisted by spitting. A good evolutionary mechanism for transmission.

Edited by Hopeful

Thanks, that is interesting.

What I find amazing is that we've got a historical need (meningitis in young people who mix up with others), and meet that need (meningitis vaccination for young people).  Now the dynamics have changed -- we've got meningitis W which is also affecting adults in large numbers, presumably in cities where there is more exposure to the new strain.  Yet the answer is still only to vaccinate the young*.  I sounds to me like the medics need to reassess the actual risk.

[* oh, and those attending Hajj.  Because there's lots of meningitis W there.  Hmmm.]

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES2015.20.28.21188

Controlled but [perhaps] not eradicated and now endemic

Fucking hell. The establishment knows we are importing diseases and yet the continue. 

There are fucking reasons why there is such a thing as nations and this is one of them. 

Fucking treasonous bastards. 

Im angry. 

40 minutes ago, One percent said:

Fucking hell. The establishment knows we are importing diseases and yet the continue. 

There are fucking reasons why there is such a thing as nations and this is one of them. 

Fucking treasonous bastards. 

Im angry. 

Lives in the back of the throat, the spread among public is probably assisted by spitting, which increases during Ramadan as spitting is a way to not invalidate the fast.

Spitting is a good evolutionary mechanism for transmission for the disease.

Edited by Hopeful

3 minutes ago, dgul said:

Thanks, that is interesting.

What I find amazing is that we've got a historical need (meningitis in young people who mix up with others), and meet that need (meningitis vaccination for young people).  Now the dynamics have changed -- we've got meningitis W which is also affecting adults in large numbers, presumably in cities where there is more exposure to the new strain.  Yet the answer is still only to vaccinate the young*.  I sounds to me like the medics need to reassess the actual risk.

[* oh, and those attending Hajj.  Because there's lots of meningitis W there.  Hmmm.]

Yes, I think the vaccination programme should be extended to all age groups.

It's the cost, innit

With regard to item 18 I have a 2 litre bottle of used vegetable oil I want to dispose of. I called the local council for advice and was told I had two options:

1.            Drive 5 miles to a suitably equipped recycling centre (and don't forget to take photo ID)

2.            Put it in the bin but make sure it's in a leak proof container.

I've taped the lid on the bottle and it will go in the bin just before they come to empty it but I now understand why people just pour it down the drain.................

2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Lives in the back of the throat, the spread among public is probably assisted by spitting, often increases during Ramadan, as spitting is a way to not invalidate the fast.

Spitting is a good evolutionary mechanism for transmission for the disease.

Why won’t we ban spitting?  Disgusting habit. 

Oh, wait, I know, it might offend our new citizens, it is after all part of their culture 

Thankfully, the MenACWY vaccine is Halal

https://www.meningitis.org/meningitis/vaccine-information/meningococcal-groups-acwy-vaccine-in-the-uk

Menveo® has been certified as Halal by the Indonesian Council of Ulama and the Islamic Services of America. Nimenrix® has been certified as Halal by the Halal Food Council of Europe.

Vaccination for Hajj and Umrah pilgrims from the UK

Large epidemics of meningococcal disease have been linked to the Hajj pilgrimage, at first due to group A bacteria and then in 2000/2001 to group W1.  Cases of meningococcal disease also occurred world-wide after pilgrims returned to their own countries2.

£30 a shot if you want it privately, I think

Open and transparent government, not

Edited by Hopeful

6 minutes ago, Option5 said:

With regard to item 18 I have a 2 litre bottle of used vegetable oil I want to dispose of. I called the local council for advice and was told I had two options:

1.            Drive 5 miles to a suitably equipped recycling centre (and don't forget to take photo ID)

I've taped the lid on the bottle and it will go in the bin just before they come to empty it but I now understand why people just pour it down the drain.................

I think you'll be okay tipping it down the drain. It's the vast quantities that get dumped down there by kebab houses etc that's the problem. You could justify it by reminding yourself that you're creating employment for people like Mr Pin... :o

PS: I just realised I didn't add the one about broken toilet seats/shitting while squatting.

8 minutes ago, Option5 said:

1.            Drive 5 miles to ..........

If you have a diesel, just bung it in the tank and drive 10 miles.

Just now, steppensheep said:

I tried to find a local cooking oil to fuel outfit but haven't had any success. My son would put it in his truck but he's 150 miles away.

43 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Put a wick in and burn it.

33 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

You might like to filter it first.  Quit a bit for used (1 micron sounds about right, but I'd check before putting it in my tank).

Anyway, you could put in veg oil diluted at 25 - 50:1 (ie 1 litre per tankful or so) without any issue at all in a diesel.  The problem is all the bits.

For a bit of balance, I started university in 1997, and in the first term, three people in my halls died of meningitis and three more got critically ill. They hurriedly vaccinated the rest of us. It's a bit of a stretch to blame this on cultural enrichment.

I daresay I was never in any danger as I never got within a mile of swapping bodily fluids with any other students :wanker: .

You could also filter it* and top up a home heating oil tank.  I wouldn't put too much in, though, as if you change the properties of the heating oil it would need the jets to be adjusted (at least).  A few %age would just get burnt up, though.

[* much less requirement here cw cars as bits will fall out of suspension and settle in the crud at the bottom]