• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Long time lurking

What the So-Called BBC fail to report on thread

Some other things I hardly hear discussed (or their current affairs and actualité were 15 years behind the debate)

• LVT
  • UBI
  • House Price Bubble
  • Money is permitted to be made from thin air by private banks who split zero
  • The uselessness of degrees
  • The oppression of men and masculinity
  • The mysterious NHS, and how costs increase as technology improves, unlike every other industry
  • Utility suppliers/supermarket proxy figures for UK population are at complete odds with the government's official ones
  • The downsides of diversity of culture
  • The views of grass-roots followers of Islam, rather than intellectuals
  • Anything Christian or heteronormative in a positive light (Jeremy Vine said he can't mention his belief on air else he'd be out of a job)
  • How much you get get in benefits if you play the system

5 minutes ago, Bod said:

Some other things I hardly hear discussed (or their current affairs and actualité were 15 years behind the debate)

• LVT
  • UBI
  • House Price Bubble
  • Money is permitted to be made from thin air by private banks who split zero
  • The uselessness of degrees
  • The oppression of men and masculinity
  • The mysterious NHS, and how costs increase as technology improves, unlike every other industry
  • Utility suppliers/supermarket proxy figures for UK population are at complete odds with the government's official ones
  • The downsides of diversity of culture
  • The views of grass-roots followers of Islam, rather than intellectuals
  • Anything Christian or heteronormative in a positive light (Jeremy Vine said he can't mention his belief on air else he'd be out of a job)
  • How much you get get in benefits if you play the system

What's UBI?

1 hour ago, Bod said:

the So-Called BBC rarely mention that 10% of the Syrian population are Christian, and Assad looked after them. Or that the supposedly Christian West sends in its planes to bomb Assad's troops on behalf of the people who want to wipe out the Christians.

That's clearly ridiculous.

Given its rising economic,political and military importance the So-Called BBC should be reporting about China as much as they do about Russia. the So-Called BBC really like to flog old stories and locations to death so certain countries get way more coverage than they probably deserve including Pakistan, South Africa etc. Forget about the Pacific and South America as they do not exist. 

Many of BBC News reports are fairly meaningless to the average UK viewer.

The other channels same.

Instead of endless coverage of foreign events from their selected locations focus on UK.

There's plenty to investigate here without roaming the world. Shine a light on the goings on that impact us.

Rolling news is bits and bobs endlessly repeated, only being worthwhile when breaking coverage occurs.

They could separate World News, for those interested in Rohingyas, Syrian orphans, Mediterranean migrants, detailed Trump scandals, and African famine. Broadcast programmes on UK without all that shit.

Regional TV news is mostly worthless. Where are the undercover probes into local crime ? What happened to real journalism ? Instead they show us 15 minutes of disabled youngsters organising a concert to welcome refugees, or schools raising money for NHS with nightime walks, then 10 minutes of football and rugby. Ending with the weather.

Propaganda, fake news, thought control, opinion presented as facts, distraction and bollocks.

No news is good news.

44 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Many of BBC News reports are fairly meaningless to the average UK viewer.

The other channels same.

Instead of endless coverage of foreign events from their selected locations focus on UK.

There's plenty to investigate here without roaming the world. Shine a light on the goings on that impact us.

Rolling news is bits and bobs endlessly repeated, only being worthwhile when breaking coverage occurs.

They could separate World News, for those interested in Rohingyas, Syrian orphans, Mediterranean migrants, detailed Trump scandals, and African famine. Broadcast programmes on UK without all that shit.

Regional TV news is mostly worthless. Where are the undercover probes into local crime ? What happened to real journalism ? Instead they show us 15 minutes of disabled youngsters organising a concert to welcome refugees, or schools raising money for NHS with nightime walks, then 10 minutes of football and rugby. Ending with the weather.

Propaganda, fake news, thought control, opinion presented as facts, distraction and bollocks.

No news is good news.

And the result ...the end is nigh 

3 hours ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Where are the undercover probes into local crime ? What happened to real journalism ?

If 1970s TV was correct, journos once used to hang out in the pub drinking and smoking all day to get a lead. Anyone who drinks or smokes at the beeb probably gets sent for reprogramming and thats why there are no longer any muckrakers.

Currently on BBC news featured stories i have

Kofi Annan (OK, i don't know anyone similarly famous who has died today...fair article choice)

A story about 'crazy rich asians' (why? What bearing does this have on UK news) 

Black Stepmums and mums (in an 87% white country, why?)

Why august is good for the soul (slow news day I guess...still beats reporting about actual things)

Something Something sexism

Immigrant Feel Good story

England needs asian football players, not just blacks (perhaps they aint good enough...not many in premier teams. Why is this shitstirring nonsense 'news')

Some 3rd world segment

Daily Drag/Tranny celebration.

Thats it.

No recommended stories about the rampant theft and criminality of our political class, banksters. The dodgy foundation of most of our foreign policy. The obscene costs of housing and stagnant wages. Nothing. No actual news, just SJW distraction space fillers that are music to the ears of those who wish to plunder while our attention is elsewhere.

Vile establishment mouthpiece.

Edited by PatronizingGit

32 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

Currently on BBC news featured stories i have

Kofi Annan (OK, i don't know anyone similarly famous who has died today...fair article choice)

A story about 'crazy rich asians' (why? What bearing does this have on UK news) 

Black Stepmums and mums (in an 87% white country, why?)

Why august is good for the soul (slow news day I guess...still beats reporting about actual things)

Something Something sexism

Immigrant Feel Good story

England needs asian football players, not just blacks (perhaps they aint good enough...not many in premier teams. Why is this shitstirring nonsense 'news')

Some 3rd world segment

Daily Drag/Tranny celebration.

Thats it.

No recommended stories about the rampant theft and criminality of our political class, banksters. The dodgy foundation of most of our foreign policy. The obscene costs of housing and stagnant wages. Nothing. No actual news, just SJW distraction space fillers that are music to the ears of those who wish to plunder while our attention is elsewhere.

Vile establishment mouthpiece.

It`s not if nothing is happening that`s worthy of the news ...kids disemboweling each other is so yesterday

51 minutes ago, Byron said:

Yet the twitter thing mostly alleges that the So-Called BBC is a Tory propaganda machine.

Seems to me that the lefties are also unhappy.

I like to think I take a balanced view and consider the other side. I also think I have a good level of empathy (its what makes us nice to each other) but I really can't see how in a million years the leftists think that BBC is right wing....

I can only summise it's all based on the So-Called BBC reporting some stuff about Corbyn which unavoidably is going to be negative at times.....

To the leftists, reporting anything factual that even so much as has a hint of negativity against their ideology makes the reporter right wing.

6 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

And the result ...the end is nigh 

I was listening to R4 the other day in the car, and they were talking about falling newspaper revenues as physical sales plummeted and advertising/online subscriptions failed to make up the difference.

A spokesman for a newspaper industry body actually suggested some kind of taxpayer funded subsidy or licence fee might be required to ensure the survival of a free and fair press...

7 minutes ago, MvR said:

A spokesman for a newspaper industry body actually suggested some kind of taxpayer funded subsidy or licence fee might be required to ensure the survival of a free and fair press...

xD  he was joking right?  

4 minutes ago, MvR said:

I'm happy to pay my BBC TV Licence every year because it's excellent value at less than 50p per day. Even though I don't want to watch much BBC.

I'm happy with the idea of paying £571.20 Newspaper tax as an equivalent of subscribing to The Guardian and The Observer for 12 months. Even though I don't actually want to read the papers. 

I don't see any problem with making everybody pay for BBC and newspapers even though some may not want them.

The only other solution would be that only those that want them have to pay for them, which causes two immediate problematic problems. 1/ It could make them more expensive for everybody that wants them which isn't fair. 2/ Either or both could go out of business if not enough people want to pay for them.

No, the only realistic solution is to make everybody pay.

35 minutes ago, One percent said:

xD  he was joking right?  

I wish.. he was entirely serious unfortunately.  I can't find the radio programme in question, but it was talking about the same report covered here :-

https://www.theguardian.com/media/media-blog/2018/jul/01/journalism-funding-future-press

Actually, it might have been an interview with this particular Journalist, Roy Greenslade, given this quote from the article. 

In such circumstances, if we wanted journalism, as distinct from newspapers, to survive, it was necessary to contemplate new forms of funding. One alternative I championed was a public subsidy, similar to the So-Called BBC licence fee. This was anathema to publishers. It was counter to their ethos, they argued, protesting disingenuously about it being a threat to freedom of the press – thereby implying that their own form of ownership, and the funding of journalism by advertising, is press freedom’s perfect formula.

Thinking about, I'm not totally adverse to some kind of subsidy paid directly to journalists themselves, but the question of who receives it is the tricky matter. If some kind of transparent mechanism based on public vote was implemented, and it wasn't possible for TPTB or powerful figures to use undue influence to remove the subsidy, there might be some merit to the idea.

And the amount of subsidy would need to be fixed ( maybe with popularity bands)  and fair. So the top 500 receive x amount.. the next 2000 receive maybe a bit less, and so on.  Ultimately you'd want the journalists that the people wish to read able to earn a living so they can continue to write, without having any "higher ups" to pander to.

Edited by MvR

1 minute ago, MvR said:

Thinking about, I'm not totally adverse to some kind of subsidy paid directly to journalists themselves, but the question of who receives it is the tricky matter.

I would fund journalists with accredited credentials.

Rather like the social media review on CNBC where they feature posts that support the approved official narrative whilst warning viewers that they may see unofficial narratives posted online which could be fake news.

Accredited credentials for journalists would require a full degree in journalism, a degree in geography so they know where they are going, plus an oath of allegiance pledging not to depart from establishment approved narratives.  Left-wing orientation mandatory.

Right-wing or Centre-right journalist to be excluded from subsidy on the basis they should practice what they preach to fund their own distribution mechanism.