• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
TheBlueCat

John Brennan Security Clearance

I’m not putting this on the Trump thread as it’s not about him, although he’s triggered the question. So, Trump removed Brennan’s security clearance and and he’s threatening to sue:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/19/john-brennan-donald-trump-security-clearance

The thing is though, this guy is retired from the CIA and now works at a university so why does he still have security clearance anyway? I could see that he might still have the clearance without any access to actual material but, in that case, what’s he suing for as it makes no difference anyway? Do American governments make a habit of sharing secret stuff with ex-employees? All seems very odd to me.

3 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

I’m not putting this on the Trump thread as it’s not about him, although he’s triggered the question. So, Trump removed Brennan’s security clearance and and he’s threatening to sue:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/19/john-brennan-donald-trump-security-clearance

The thing is though, this guy is retired from the CIA and now works at a university so why does he still have security clearance anyway? I could see that he might still have the clearance without any access to actual material but, in that case, what’s he suing for as it makes no difference anyway? Do American governments make a habit of sharing secret stuff with ex-employees? All seems very odd to me.

Courtesy.

Senior ex employees can still freelance, consult.

But they have to behave.

Idiot or not, forign policy in the US always starts and ends with the prez.

Behave like a fucking sjw and you are out.

I should add a lot of intelligence is not written down, just in heads.

Hey, ex ciaman, you met (insert dickwad brasshat) whos now president. Whats he like, any interests, weaknesses??

Clearance is always needs based.  Usually runs out a few years after the last 'need'.  Doesn't make much difference who/where/what you are.

As to the question 'what’s he suing for as it makes no difference anyway?' -- it is America, they do things differently there.

7 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

I believe that if he still has contacts in the security services, they can still share sensitive information with him if he has clearance. This may break other codes of conduct, but not breach security.

This gives him access to information the rest of the media do not have, something the media will pay a premium for.

Edited by snaga

Just now, Byron said:

As far as I know my security vetting ended when I retired.

Obviously I am still bound by the Official Secrets Act, but would no be able to access any new stuff.

same in the US, it's only the very senior staff that keep their clearance, meant for transition purposes, but seems to have become a retirement plan.

A public sector worker is a servant to the public. Access on a consultancy basis should be allowed through a temporary pass.

This is not like some opened ended zero hours contract for a minimum wage job, this is national security.

---

Perhaps one gets a lifetime pass to Area 51?

Wasn't there some discussion a few weeks ago (possibly started by Q?) About US personnel with security clearance being able to access top secret networks (five eyes?) In places like new Zealand without leaving any audit trail of what they had accessed? Sounds like a very dangerous thing to leave in the hands of your enemies.

It's funny, people talk about "classified" information, and security "clearance", but what do those words actually mean in this context?

Classified by who? Cleared by who, and for what purpose?

Where does the authority to classify information actually originate, and where does the authority to give clearance come from?

In the US the whole shebang is set up and run by Presidential Executive Order. It's not in the Constitution, or in statute. It's all done under the personal executive power of the President. FDR"s Executive Order 8381 kicked it all off in 1940, and various orders have come in since, each superceeding the last.

So everything that's classified is actually classified under Trump's personal authority as President, and everybody who's cleared is cleared under Trump's personal authority as President.

So what the fuck is Brenan on about?

O.o

PS. This also means that Trump can't actually "leak" state secrets. It's fundamentally up to him what's released and what isn't.

Ex CIA Swamp rat called Mudd completely loses his shit when confronted with the fact that a security clearance is profitable!

@4:28 boom

For his trouble Trump trolls him mercilesly

Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump

Just watched former Intelligence Official Phillip Mudd become totally unglued and weird while debating wonderful @PARISDENNARD over Brennan’s Security Clearance. Dennard destroyed him but Mudd is in no mental condition to have such a Clearance. Should be REVOKED? @seanhannity
7:06 PM - 20 Aug 2018

xD