• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
201p

Car Thieves Know Where The Tracking Device Is!

What is the point of a tracking device, if the thieves know where it is on the vehicle? It is probably best to fit your own.

Bungling thieves are snared by police after removing tracker device from £75,000 Range Rover they stole from solicitor's driveway and leaving it in their OWN vehicle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6076277/Bungling-thieves-snared-police-leaving-stolen-tracker-device-car.html

Premeditated crime which required 'advanced skills and tools' and worth about £70k (of pain to the insurance company, anyway).  No jail time.  Have they actually been punished enough?

[I note that the perps were only caught by a fluke (they were dumb).  I also note that for this sort of thing (high value vehicle) there isn't an easy way to get rid of the thing in the UK -- where is the information about the exporters that the justice system is also prosecuting?  This doesn't actually look like a good advertisement for the capability of the police.]

I’m amazed the police even bothered to follow it up..  I thought car crime was broadly ignored.

Perhaps just because the owner could give them the thieves address with no work involved?  Or so they could make the headlines showing “look guys,  we are doing this police stuff..  honest”?

They don't necessarily drive them away, so a steering wheel lock isn't a deterrent. The things I've heard are:

• high value vehicles are parked up somewhere by the thieves to see if someone comes for them. If, after a few days they are still there, then no tracker is fitted
  • the vehicle is put in a refrigerated lorry to screen tracker signals

9 minutes ago, Bod said:

They don't necessarily drive them away, so a steering wheel lock isn't a deterrent. The things I've heard are:

• high value vehicles are parked up somewhere by the thieves to see if someone comes for them. If, after a few days they are still there, then no tracker is fitted
  • the vehicle is put in a refrigerated lorry to screen tracker signals

Cool.

20 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

A 75k RR EVOQUE?

Thought they were the cheap ones. Christ, people are mad. Beneath all the adornments, doesnt it share a basic platform with the last generation Ford Focus?

If you add in every extra and take the most expensive options...

Evoque.jpg.885a4388e2094e8390a8f3010c740647.jpg

It sounds like some insurance scamming was going on. ;)

7 hours ago, Libspero said:

I’m amazed the police even bothered to follow it up..  I thought car crime was broadly ignored.

They just happened to find it while investigating a "racist" tweet.

12 hours ago, PatronizingGit said:

A 75k RR EVOQUE?

Thought they were the cheap ones. Christ, people are mad. Beneath all the adornments, doesnt it share a basic platform with the last generation Ford Focus?

One less cunt driving around in a RR can only be good news.

16 hours ago, 201p said:

What is the point of a tracking device, if the thieves know where it is on the vehicle? It is probably best to fit your own.

Bungling thieves are snared by police after removing tracker device from £75,000 Range Rover they stole from solicitor's driveway and leaving it in their OWN vehicle

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6076277/Bungling-thieves-snared-police-leaving-stolen-tracker-device-car.html

If you know what you are looking for auto data electrical schematics will show the location of OME equipment 

23 hours ago, dgul said:

Premeditated crime which required 'advanced skills and tools' and worth about £70k (of pain to the insurance company, anyway).  No jail time.  Have they actually been punished enough?

[I note that the perps were only caught by a fluke (they were dumb).  I also note that for this sort of thing (high value vehicle) there isn't an easy way to get rid of the thing in the UK -- where is the information about the exporters that the justice system is also prosecuting?  This doesn't actually look like a good advertisement for the capability of the police.]

It is I believe very easy. A quick drive to Folkestone or Harwich and then drive onto one of the many containers that are incorrectly registered to some overseas entity, or a completely made up one.

Given that the average container ship transports about IIRC 10,000 containers per load - if that's the correct term - then you can see it's a needle in a haystack situation.