• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Malthus

First they came for your pies

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-45258081

BBC going after booze now, Adrian Childs horrified that he drank 100 units in a week compared to the suggested max of 14 units 

Seriously feck off, this is like the new puritans, work all the time and have no fun would look to be the goal for the mug population 

ps anyone like to challenge Adrian’s 100 units 

At a rough guess I’d say on a big week in my prime I’d easily have had 150 units , calmed down a bit now 👍

1 minute ago, Malthus said:

BBC going after booze now, Adrian Childs horrified that he drank 100 units in a week compared to the suggested max of 14 units 

Seriously feck off, this is like the new puritans, work all the time and have no fun would look to be the goal for the mug population 

At a rough guess I’d say on a big week in my prime I’d easily have had 150 units , calmed down a bit now 👍

I call BS, he's just promoting his documentary.

2 minutes ago, snaga said:

I call BS, he's just promoting his documentary.

Easily done to be fair.

I worked with a chap who didn't eat breakfast or lunch but every night he had a big meal, usually three course, usually out, with two bottles of quality wine.

A bottle of wine is four pints / eight units so 2 x 8 x 7 = 112 units a week.

He was totally open about it and nobody considered him an alcoholic; he just liked (as Swiss Tony would put it) fine food and fine wines.

4 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Pffffttt. Amateur! IIRC a bottle of spirits is approx 30 government defined units. Just over three bottles a week. I’d worry if it was a bottle a night!

Childs famously quit a programme and went to another channel thinking he’d make his fortune. He’s struggling now and has found a way to be paid to whine about his problem.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Easily done to be fair.

I worked with a chap who didn't eat breakfast or lunch but every night he had a big meal, usually three course, usually out, with two bottles of quality wine.

A bottle of wine is four pints / eight units so 2 x 8 x 7 = 112 units a week.

He was totally open about it and nobody considered him an alcoholic; he just liked (as Swiss Tony would put it) fine food and fine wines.

100 in a week sure, but at 51 drinking 3 bottles of spirits a week, every week, and he claims that's normal social behavior for him? I call BS, or he's a fucking idiot for not knowing he's already an alchoholic.

He's playing the part of the stereotypical middle aged middle calss man that the So-Called BBC want to push.

5 minutes ago, snaga said:

100 in a week sure, but at 51 drinking 3 bottles of spirits a week, every week, and he claims that's normal social behavior for him? I call BS, or he's a fucking idiot for not knowing he's already an alchoholic.

He's playing the part of the stereotypical middle aged middle calss man that the So-Called BBC want to push.

There’s a fine line between what can be termed heavy drinking and alcoholism. Plus a lot of genetic and social luck thrown into the mix!

Child’s using his skills/knowledge and personal experience to get work in his world with the bonus that it may help him to cut back his drinking if he really wants to.

13 minutes ago, snaga said:

It works out to pretty much exactly half a bottle of spirits a day. I felt like crap doing that in my 20s, I can't imagine how shit I'd feel now in my 30s let alone 50s.

14 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

There’s a fine line between what can be termed heavy drinking and alcoholism. Plus a lot of genetic and social luck thrown into the mix!

Child’s using his skills/knowledge and personal experience to get work in his world with the bonus that it may help him to cut back his drinking if he really wants to.

Perhaps I am too cynical, but this story has BBC approved stamped all over it. Probably trying to manufacture a #metoo campaign for middle aged drinking, we know that will backfire and be just be seen as a challenge.

100 units a week is pretty heavy tbf, long-term that really can't be good for you physically or mentally.  

A bottle of spirits a week is what, 30 units, someone said upstream.  A few beers on top of that and you could easily top 50 units.

The whole 'recommended' limits are total fucking bullshit, have zero medical basis and are basically made up.

A couple of decent beers at 2.5 units per bottle every other day plus a few more at the weekend gets you up to, say, 25 odd units? That's not too bad.

43 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Pffffttt. Amateur! IIRC a bottle of spirits is approx 30 government defined units. Just over three bottles a week. I’d worry if it was a bottle a night.

On that, maybe I"m stating the obvious, but I only realised recently that units are just the amount of alcohol in a litre, so a 5% beer is 5 units per litre, or 2.5 per 500 ml bottle. That doesn't seem particularly scientific to me. I try to keep it down to 50 a week, but what with working away from home atm, am finding that hard to stick to.

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

I drank a fuck load of vodka at uni. 2nd year was especially drunken. i could get my old bank statements out and tell you how much it cost me.

80p a pint at the union bar, for £5 I could have 5 pints and 10 fags, most nights I spent £10, and double that at the weekends :)

4 minutes ago, snaga said:

80p a pint at the union bar, for £5 I could have 5 pints and 10 fags, most nights I spent £10, and double that at the weekends :)

Oh I'd go and drink lager at the bar too but have  a bottle of vodka most nights during my worst term. Merrydown as a pre-drink to an evening out.

My dad is cracking on a bit and still does a bottle of wine a night and a few beers and did so for as long as I can recall growing up. More on a Saturday night as Sunday mornings is now the only day he doesn't work a morning (courier job for pin money). Perhaps I see it as normalised but I never saw it as a problem and still don't - I have never seen him visibly drunk or even tipsy for that matter. Held a high stress responsible job for years which I think may have contributed to the habit and has since stuck. My mother used to do up to a bottle a night but kicked the habit, only really because of weight gain, still drinks, just not as much.

As for me, rarely touch a drop during the week but can sink quite a bit at the weekends if out and quite a heavy social drinker. I sort of take the Christopher Hitchens line with drink that it makes the world (and people) around you less dull and more interesting, don't mind admitting that. If I had to give up all of life's vices I'd probably question the point of working all week. Even partial to the odd spliff once a blue moon. Am very liberal in terms of approach to alcohol and drugs providing ones use doesn't adversely affect other peoples' lives/children etc.

My understanding is that 18% of heavy drinkers develop alcoholic liver disease.

I hope this is true because I drink shit loads more than recommended.....but seem to keep going strong at 60.

It's all very puzzling...but my evil plan is to keep drinking...with a bit of smoking...and put two fingers up at the establishment.  I actually don't give a fuck anymore.

I last emptied the plastic storage box that I use as a bottle bin in my man-cave on Thursday night.

It now holds the following empties:

16x 500 ml Co-op Czech Lager @ 2.5 units each

3x 35cl Co-op Blended Scotch Whisky @ 14 units each.

2x 70cl bottles of Whyte & Mackay whisky @ 28 units each

1x 70cl bottle of Haig Clubman whisky @ 28 units each.

That's 166 since Friday.

bin.thumb.jpg.e8c374ec4fb4804ff72eba40c92b697f.jpg

And then there's what I'll quaff tonight...

desk.thumb.jpg.8c72dfdf2ed8a9b86463084c7107f941.jpg

Childs is a fucking Southern poof...!

XYY

2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I last emptied the plastic storage box that I use as a bottle bin in my man-cave on Thursday night.

It now holds the following empties:

16x 500 ml Co-op Czech Lager @ 2.5 units each

3x 35cl Co-op Blended Scotch Whisky @ 14 units each.

2x 70cl bottles of Whyte & Mackay whisky @ 28 units each

1x 70cl bottle of Haig Clubman whisky @ 28 units each.

That's 166 since Friday.

bin.thumb.jpg.e8c374ec4fb4804ff72eba40c92b697f.jpg

And then there's what I'll quaff tonight...

desk.thumb.jpg.8c72dfdf2ed8a9b86463084c7107f941.jpg

Childs is a fucking Southern poof...!

XYY

Good man.   You're my number one fan. :-)