• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

RAC Home insurance - why ffs?

Banner ad. ToS.

What is the fucking point.

I know why - private equity.

Rac was a car rescue brand. Limited demand as cars rarely breakdown.

Rac were caught for being waste of money on breakdown. Theyll be a bigger con on insurance.

To be fair, that's all they ever were was insurance.  Sure, they used a different model, but you paid money as insurance just in case your car broke down.

But I appreciate the general problem -- companies went beyond 'what they did' to 'their brand'.  So they could do anything so long as their brand was being used positively.  This is everything now.  IMO we'll go back to a system of companies being trusted for what they do in the field, rather than 'other stuff they do'; ultimately, people might be stupid, but eventually they work out 'how it works' and then stubbornly stick with the 'new normal'.  I'll suggest my kids generation won't be suckered into buying something because the brand has moved into the field.

[Well, it seems difficult to imagine from where I'm sitting at the moment, as they're all completely besotted with brands... but IMO that'll change when they have to start spending their money rather than mine.]

54 minutes ago, dgul said:

To be fair, that's all they ever were was insurance.  Sure, they used a different model, but you paid money as insurance just in case your car broke down.

But I appreciate the general problem -- companies went beyond 'what they did' to 'their brand'.  So they could do anything so long as their brand was being used positively.  This is everything now.  IMO we'll go back to a system of companies being trusted for what they do in the field, rather than 'other stuff they do'; ultimately, people might be stupid, but eventually they work out 'how it works' and then stubbornly stick with the 'new normal'.  I'll suggest my kids generation won't be suckered into buying something because the brand has moved into the field.

[Well, it seems difficult to imagine from where I'm sitting at the moment, as they're all completely besotted with brands... but IMO that'll change when they have to start spending their money rather than mine.]

Anecdotal, I met a bloke on holiday a few years back who owned a car lot. He had been fully independent and on the brink of going to the wall. Then one day he drove past an RAC branded lot, so he gave them a call. 

In return for the RAC completely rebranding his car lot all he had to do was flog their warranties. With everything rebranded as 'RAC' his business trebled and he's now a wealthy man.

That's the power of the brand.

Edited by Roger_Mellie

56 minutes ago, dgul said:

But I appreciate the general problem -- companies went beyond 'what they did' to 'their brand'.  So they could do anything so long as their brand was being used positively.  This is everything now.

Virgin is the model for all these companies, it only exists as a brand.

37 minutes ago, Option5 said:

It is a very interesting phenomenon.  Years ago (say, post war), brand was nothing -- it was all the product (in that people trusted the brand in the area that it existed, but there was little cross-brand selling).

Then, in the 60's, brand started to be more than the product.  The end result in Virgin, where the brand is all there is.

I'm convinced it'll go the way of advertising -- people are these days far more likely to ignore conventional marketing.  They're all about peer recommendation (hence the move of marketing into social media).  The equivalent for brand is that it'll become irrelevant, with people buying purely on peer recommendation, irrespective of brand.

[Of course, this'll probably just mean conventional mega-internationals just invent new brands to appear 'new and exciting' and push on social media channels, but that the same thing -- the 'brand' as a cross-selling commodity will go]

Guinness is good for you.

Brands have always had strength and weakness, they come they go.

Back in the '80's, style guru Peter York championed the power of brands.

A wave of intellectual theorists told us the concept of brands was in decline. They had their day. In the future consumers would become smarter and more informed, embracing independent choice.

They were wrong.

Whether it's rappers in Vegas spunking $10k on Krystal champagne, hipsters in their Sketchers, or school run Mums dropping off Hermione in her leased Evoque, brands are more powerful than ever. 

Why pay £900 for an Apple phone that's no better than a Hangwei-Wang for £250 off Gumtree ?

Shirts with polo player badges, handbags with LV clasps, energy drinks with F1 teams.

Counterfeit ? Yes M'Lud, she had two.

Brands are here to stay.

5 hours ago, unregistered_guest said:

So, is Green Flag a bunch of salafist insurgents?

[to stretch the analogy beyond breaking point]

RAC is a bit like RUC, and their vans are ORANGE!:Old:

6 hours ago, Option5 said:

The only thing I associate Virgin with is truly abysmal customer service. But then they're still broadly on a par with most of the competition. Get ready for your blood pressure if you ever have to ring them.

12 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

The only thing I associate Virgin with is truly abysmal customer service. But then they're still broadly on a par with most of the competition. Get ready for your blood pressure if you ever have to ring them.

Really.

I cant get by the dodgy beardy cunt.

I did have a virgin mobile contract once. Quelle surprisee - within 2 weeks of using my credit card to pay for it - and id only used that card for amazon - massive induan based fraud hit.