• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spygirl

No more Puppy Farm

1 minute ago, Dipsy said:

Good, I wish they also find a way to ban the breeding of dogs which creates defects in them, such as the ability to breathe properly.

Yeah.

Every other fucking dog that ive been tripped over as its on a 20ft lead in town has been a french fucking bulldog.

Funny thing is, most dogs are mostly nice.  There doesn't seem to be any rational reason why you'd spend lots on a dog + piece of paper.  As a vet friend of mine says -- dogs are available for free!  Why would you pay for one!

[like many animals*, dogs are an example where hybrid vigour is a real thing]

[* and I'd include humans in that, even though many would disagree (vehemently, I'm sure)]

5 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Yeah.

Every other fucking dog that ive been tripped over as its on a 20ft lead in town has been a french fucking bulldog.

I find standing on the lead 'by accident' works a treat.

Eh?

The Government announced that it will ban the sale of puppies by pet shops, online dealers and other third party sellers.

Surely that one is counter-productive.  Open, regulated, licenced sellers of puppies.  That should be how you buy them.

The people I know (three women at work over the last eighteen months) have bought their puppies through totally unregualted sources which are probably supplied by puppy farms in dreadful conditions.

If the aim is to genuinely want animals to be looked after then make it illegal to sell them through anything other than pet shops (or animal rescues for the price of ther medical treatment).

12 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Eh?

Surely that one is counter-productive.  Open, regulated, licenced sellers of puppies.  That should be how you buy them.

The people I know (three women at work over the last eighteen months) have bought their puppies through totally unregualted sources which are probably supplied by puppy farms in dreadful conditions.

If the aim is to genuinely want animals to be looked after then make it illegal to sell them through anything other than pet shops (or animal rescues for the price of ther medical treatment).

It is a bit difficult though.

Puppies are complicated because if you get a boy doggie and a female doggy to together then puppies come along for free.  In the case of 'accidental' the owners might well need to 'get rid of' the puppies, but it can be a bit of a wrench -- the introduction of cash into the deal essentially says 'I'm prepared to look after the little thing, please accept this sum as an indication of my commitment'.

I'd suggest that anyone should be able to sell up to 5 puppies per year without any paperwork, etc.

Someone needs to pass a law banning women from getting the ugly dog in the divorce.

Dating sites are not only full of divorced women, they are full of divorced women with ugly dogs. No doubt keeping the dog was a major spite victory in their divorce but it means that when considering dating these women you also have to take on their ugly dog also.

Why ugly dog - most of them seem to have some kind of pug or bull-dog. I think they were fashionable in recent years. Dogs that slobber and sound like asthmatics being dragged along on their short legs by some divorced woman with over-inflated views of her own attractiveness.

/ rant

About time too.

When we last saw our vet we'd adopted three new cats and wanted to know, simply for the sake of our own curiosity, if they were related to each other. In particular if two of them were brothers. It wouldn't make any difference to our relationship with them.

I asked about the possibility of DNA tests to confirm and I was a little surprised that the question didn't exactly receive the most encouraging response. She wasn't rude, by any means, but just a little dismissive of the entire concept.

It now occurs to me that this could well be as a result of those tests being set up and used largely to propagate "perfect" bloodlines and that such institutions should not be supported.

(Yes, it is possible, no, it's not especially reliable, costs about £75 per cat)

This won't make any difference to anything. Most puppy farms are overseas, in Eastern Europe mainly, and get imported into the UK via Ireland. @sarahbell is correct.

The breeders are the scum of the earth in many cases and don't care. Better to heavily regulate them into having only one set of pups per bitch and to do spot checks and setup full licensing system. Many breeders run "legal puppy farms".

17 minutes ago, Option5 said:

I have a dog needs re-homing, small terrier type that barks a lot.

If anyone is interested let me know and

I'll climb the fence into next door's garden and get the little bastard for you :ph34r:

Ditto a bichon frise here.
Little fucker escapes from their garden every now and again so if you time it right no climbing needed.

5 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Horrible story but not uncommon. I do think as regressive as the Nazis supposedly were, their ideas of exterminating animal abusers should be brought back.

I wouldn't go that far..  a lot of animal cruelty is neglect.  People who neglect their animals often have their own mental issues.  Think crazy old cat woman.

1 minute ago, Libspero said:

I wouldn't go that far..  a lot of animal cruelty is neglect.  People who neglect their animals often have their own mental issues.  Think crazy old cat woman.

Of course, I meant intentional. The crazy cat lady thinks she's doing nothing wrong, but someone who locks a dog in a cage for its entire life and breeds them constantly must know they are evil.

1 hour ago, dgul said:

Funny thing is, most dogs are mostly nice.  There doesn't seem to be any rational reason why you'd spend lots on a dog + piece of paper.  As a vet friend of mine says -- dogs are available for free!  Why would you pay for one!

[* and I'd include humans in that, even though many would disagree (vehemently, I'm sure)]

Spot on for me.  I would not consider getting a cat from anything other than a cat rescue centre.

Anyone who wants one specially bred to their exact specification rather than giving one of these lonely cats a loving home doesn't to my mind really like cats at all.

11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Spot on for me.  I would not consider getting a cat from anything other than a cat rescue centre.

Anyone who wants one specially bred to their exact specification rather than giving one of these lonely cats a loving home doesn't to my mind really like cats at all.

Having adopted several over the years, the most difficult cats to home are plain, all-black cats more than a few years old. That's what the last two adoption centres told us.

9 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Having adopted several over the years, the most difficult cats to home are plain, all-black cats more than a few years old. That's what the last two adoption centres told us.

Next door has 2 plain black cats, they are the only ones I won't chase off yelling "Get orf my land!"

They don't hassle the rabbits.

They don't sleep on my car or climb in the car.

They don't come in to the house/garage if I leave the door open.

I don't think they shit in my garden (the shits are massive, and these guys are small).

Hence they get petted instead of chased :)

18 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Well, I'm impressed by your 'commitment to the cause', but cats produce baby cats for free all the time -- they're more enthusiastic about it than dogs.  If you want to adopt an adult and work with the psychology that's fine, but kittens are everywhere and much easier to train.

1 hour ago, Option5 said:

I have a dog needs re-homing, small terrier type that barks a lot.

If anyone is interested let me know and

I'll climb the fence into next door's garden and get the little bastard for you :ph34r:

terriers are not that friendly, part of their nature

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, dgul said:

Well, I'm impressed by your 'commitment to the cause', but cats produce baby cats for free all the time -- they're more enthusiastic about it than dogs.  If you want to adopt an adult and work with the psychology that's fine, but kittens are everywhere and much easier to train.

We've always adopted older cats in the past. Until this time.

Two aged around 2 or 3 and the third aged around 6. At the time.

The elder one is calm. But has a problem with scenting things.

The two young ones were and are still very kitten-like and at times it's a little like having children, having to watch what they're up to, and one of them is.. naughty and a little devil to the others. They're quite a handful sometimes. Though I am in no way suggesting that this is the same as having three human children.

Edited by DTMark

Just now, DTMark said:

We've always adopted older cats in the past. Until this time.

Two aged around 2 or 3 and the third aged around 6. At the time.

The elder one is calm. But has a problem with scenting things.

The two young ones were and are still very kitten-like and at times it's a little live having children, having to watch what they're up to, and one of them is.. naughty and a little devil to the others. They're quite a handful sometimes. Though I am in no way suggesting that this is the same as having three human children.

Probably very similar, other than they'll never grow up and start really costing money.

[and children don't eat you when you die unexpectedly]

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I suspect that a lot of animal rescue charities are nothing other than rackets - probably the more high profile they are (ahemdogstrustahem) the less likely they are to be on the level.

6 hours ago, dgul said:

Becuase a mongrel is not as scary as a fucking american pitbull.

The ban on pitbulls need enforcing.

The number of almost lab sized 'staffies' ive walked by with a head like a fucking tiger.....