• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
swiss_democracy_for_all

Bull terriers, they're so sweet. Anyone can have one.

I can't help having a little sympathy for this lad and none whatsoever for the stupid old cow who couldn't control her dog. I've highlighted the key phrase in the article - anyone who has ever witnessed a dog being "held down" by a bull terrier will know it was probably being throttled slowly, and she would have been completely unable to stop it. He stopped it, but went too far.

If anyone should be stopped from keeping a dog it should be the old biddy - or at least, stopped from keeping a dog too strong for her.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-45268289

A 15-year-old boy has been fined £500 for punching and kicking a "much-loved" pet dog to death.

The boy, who cannot be named, was 14 when the "prolonged attack" happened in St Ives, Cornwall on 31 October.

He was found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to a protected animal last month after a two-day trial.

The teenager has been banned from keeping animals for five years and ordered to pay £500 compensation.

More news from Devon and Cornwall

In sentencing, the judge, Justice Diana Baker said the dog, Teddy, suffered a fractured skull and multiple blunt force trauma injuries to his head, neck and torso resulting in internal bleeding.

Addressing the boy, she said domestic violence has "severely affected" his emotional wellbeing.

"You are a young man who has lived with domestic violence for a long time," the judge said.

"Domestic violence under the influence of alcohol that has severely affected your emotional wellbeing and ability to deal with stressful situations."

A victim impact statement from Teddy's owner was read to the court.

Jacqueline Stevens Image captionJacqueline Stevens said Teddy was a gentle dog that did not growl at anyone

In it, Jacqueline Stevens, 71, explained how she had hand-reared the Staffordshire bull terrier and kept him for nine years

"My life has been ripped apart and has been changed forever," she said.

She added that she now "dreads going to St Ives" due to the "sad associations and memories".

The incident happened when the dog held down a pet terrier belonging to the family of the convicted boy who had a "total loss of control", the court heard.

The boy was sentenced to an 18-month rehabilitation order with 18 months of supervision. He was also given an eight-week curfew.

The £500 fine will be paid by his mother at a rate of £50 a week.

The boy will not be allowed to apply for the ban on him keeping animals to be lifted for the next three years.

However, the court heard the family would be able to keep their pet terrier.

To me,  his actions sound reasonable at face value..  he was protecting his pet.

That said,  perhaps he kept kicking and beating it long after it let go.

In the old days everyone would have said "it's just a dog" and everyone would have mumbled about it and life would have gone on.  Those were simpler times.

3 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Yes the owner's responsible for controlling it (i.e. it should be on a fucking lead), but you don't kick a dog to death by mistake.

Dog psychology is not rocket science. You have to be in charge!:Old:They like to be rewarded for good behavior, and get embarrassed if you tell them off.

6 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Yes the owner's responsible for controlling it (i.e. it should be on a fucking lead), but you don't kick a dog to death by mistake.

11 minutes ago, Libspero said:

To me,  his actions sound reasonable at face value..  he was protecting his pet.

That said,  perhaps he kept kicking and beating it long after it let go.

In the old days everyone would have said "it's just a dog" and everyone would have mumbled about it and life would have gone on.  Those were simpler times.

Yeah sounds like he went way too far, but I don't like the way the article presents the poor old lady and her sweet dog as the victims.

Just now, Melchett said:

I’d have done the same. Every fucking time.

What a good mate that bloke will be, and I bet his dog thought the world of him!:Old:

Just now, Byron said:

What a huge waste of our tax pounds prosecuting this silly case.

One of many?o.O

1 minute ago, Melchett said:

My Grandad was a coal man, killed two dogs that I know of that attacked him on his round.

Most coal men did the same as they tended to be strong and tough, postmen and milkmen got bitten.

Just to clarify. I have had a pet killed by someone’s out of control dog. When I was a preschool kid I had an out of control dog go for me without provocation and was only saved by someone like this lad. As an adult cyclist and walker I have had to put up with a steady stream of uncontrolled dogs going for me.

i have zero tolerance for uncontrolled dogs. And zero sympathy for their owners.

3 minutes ago, Option5 said:

My Grandad was a coal man, killed two dogs that I know of that attacked him on his round.

Most coal men did the same as they tended to be strong and tough, postmen and milkmen got bitten.

I feel some skiffle coming on. Delivering polluting stuff to every house. I personally blame him for the 1952 smog.:Old:

Madd a comment on the puppy farm thread.

The number of american pit bull staffies ive seen is a fucking joke. These are almost lab sized and have faces like a fucking tiger.

The fog in this case is a staffy. Stupid bitch cannot control it. 

6 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I feel some skiffle coming on. Delivering polluting stuff to every house. I personally blame him for the 1952 smog.:Old:

Yes, and your point is? :D

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Madd a comment on the puppy farm thread.

The number of american pit bull staffies ive seen is a fucking joke. These are almost lab sized and have faces like a fucking tiger.

The fog in this case is a staffy. Stupid bitch cannot control it. 

I'm not sure what the definition is, but I know what a Staffy looks like. Not sure American Pit Bulls are so nice.

1 minute ago, Option5 said:

Yes, and your point is? :D

Your grandfather will be personally responsible for buying air fresheners for every electric car sold, which is probably powered by coal, and does no harm to the environment whatsoever, and has zero emissions, and people will pay a lot of money to appear driving them, and felling morally superior (especially actors).

8 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Your grandfather will be personally responsible for buying air fresheners for every electric car sold, which is probably powered by coal, and does no harm to the environment whatsoever, and has zero emissions, and people will pay a lot of money to appear driving them, and felling morally superior (especially actors).

That's why the first mass produced hybrid was called the Toyota Pious.

It was wasn't it?

Just now, Option5 said:

That's why the first mass produced hybrid was called the Toyota Pious.

It was wasn't it?

By the people that drive it, most certainly!

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I can't help having a little sympathy for this lad and none whatsoever for the stupid old cow who couldn't control her dog. I've highlighted the key phrase in the article - anyone who has ever witnessed a dog being "held down" by a bull terrier will know it was probably being throttled slowly, and she would have been completely unable to stop it. He stopped it, but went too far.

If anyone should be stopped from keeping a dog it should be the old biddy - or at least, stopped from keeping a dog too strong for her.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-45268289

A 15-year-old boy has been fined £500 for punching and kicking a "much-loved" pet dog to death.

The boy, who cannot be named, was 14 when the "prolonged attack" happened in St Ives, Cornwall on 31 October.

He was found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to a protected animal last month after a two-day trial.

The teenager has been banned from keeping animals for five years and ordered to pay £500 compensation.

More news from Devon and Cornwall

In sentencing, the judge, Justice Diana Baker said the dog, Teddy, suffered a fractured skull and multiple blunt force trauma injuries to his head, neck and torso resulting in internal bleeding.

Addressing the boy, she said domestic violence has "severely affected" his emotional wellbeing.

"You are a young man who has lived with domestic violence for a long time," the judge said.

"Domestic violence under the influence of alcohol that has severely affected your emotional wellbeing and ability to deal with stressful situations."

A victim impact statement from Teddy's owner was read to the court.

Jacqueline Stevens Image captionJacqueline Stevens said Teddy was a gentle dog that did not growl at anyone

In it, Jacqueline Stevens, 71, explained how she had hand-reared the Staffordshire bull terrier and kept him for nine years

"My life has been ripped apart and has been changed forever," she said.

She added that she now "dreads going to St Ives" due to the "sad associations and memories".

The incident happened when the dog held down a pet terrier belonging to the family of the convicted boy who had a "total loss of control", the court heard.

The boy was sentenced to an 18-month rehabilitation order with 18 months of supervision. He was also given an eight-week curfew.

The £500 fine will be paid by his mother at a rate of £50 a week.

The boy will not be allowed to apply for the ban on him keeping animals to be lifted for the next three years.

However, the court heard the family would be able to keep their pet terrier.

My answer predisposes the fact the bull terrier was attacking the terrier and was out of woman's control

Right-o

The woman whose Bull terrier died needs to get a fekking life and move on. It's just a dog, and if that's the most traumatic thing for her she hasn't fekking lived one yet.

She should take responsibility for her dog's behaviour

If I was in that situation and someone else's animal was attacking my animal I would have kicked the attacking dog to death too, if the first kicks didn't serve any purpose.

Zero sympathy for Teddy's owner

Edited by Hopeful

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Yeah sounds like he went way too far, but I don't like the way the article presents the poor old lady and her sweet dog as the victims.

I had a different reaction to the others in this post, though I accept I've maybe been manipulated slightly by the journalist.

My reaction was horror that you could kick a dog to death and only get a fine of 500 quid. I also disagree that people should be able to kick a dog to death and not be prosecuted in any way, as someone in this topic seemed to suggest.

We don't know what exactly the bull terrier was doing to the other dog - whether it was just rough horseplay kinda thing or whether it was gonna tear it's throat out.

But again, the kid didn't need to kick it to death. 

My reactions from the article were:

1. Sympathy for the dog being kicked to death.

2. Disgust at the kid who I peg as probably being a psycho; IMHO this goes beyond self defence. I think if the dog had it's jaws locked down on the other dog whilst the boy was hitting it, the story would have said so.

3. Disdain for the owner who couldn't control her dog; something that I see so often. Your animal should be on a lead, and you should be strong enough to control it.

Edited by JoeDavola

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

. Disgust at the kid who I peg as probably being a psycho; IMHO this goes beyond self defence. I think if the dog had it's jaws locked down on the other dog whilst the boy was hitting it, the story would have said so.

Teenage boys are all potential psychos when put under pressure and scared in a situation they don't understand. However I agree some more than others, he's probably not the sharpest tool in the toolbox.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I had a different reaction to the others in this post, though I accept I've maybe been manipulated slightly by the journalist.

My reaction was horror that you could kick a dog to death and only get a fine of 500 quid. I also disagree that people should be able to kick a dog to death and not be prosecuted in any way, as someone in this topic seemed to suggest.

We don't know what exactly the bull terrier was doing to the other dog - whether it was just rough horseplay kinda thing or whether it was gonna tear it's throat out.

But again, the kid didn't need to kick it to death. 

My conclusions from the article were:

1. Sympathy for the dog being kicked to death.

2. Disgust at the kid who I peg as probably being a psycho; IMHO this goes beyond self defence.

3. Disdain for the owner who couldn't control her dog; something that I see so often. Your animal should be on a lead, and you should be strong enough to control it.

The story is light on details of the nature of the 'attack'

But, Yeah, but

1) What about sympathy for the dog being attacked

2) What about sympathy for the kid trying to protect his pet

3) What if teddy coldn't be controlled

Do you let you pet get killed, or do you kick the other dog to death. You could stand back, place bets and let nature take its course, but that's dog fighting :-)

I like to think that I a great and kind animal person, I think I'm kinder than many, but then I'd ring a seagull's neck if I found it flapping around in the road after being hit by a car when others would take it to the vet.

If it was my animal being attacked I'd have no qualms about inflicting pain upon or killing the attacking animal. It is just an animal. I'd do the same to a person attacking me too.

Edited by Hopeful

44 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Then kicked the owner to death.

Just say "Don't know what happened there. I've never done that before." and everything will be OK.

3 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

The story is light on details of the nature of the 'attack'

But, Yeah, but

1) What about sympathy for the dog being attacked

2) What about sympathy for the kid trying to protect his pet

3) What if teddy coldn't be controlled

Do you let you pet get killed, or do you kick the other dog to death. You could stand back, place bets and let nature take its course, but that's dog fighting :-)

I like to think that I a great and kind animal person, I think I'm kinder than many, but then I'd ring a seagull's neck if I found it flapping around in the road after being hit by a car when others would take it to the vet.

If it was my animal being attacked I'd have no qualms about inflicting pain upon or killing the attacking animal. It is just an animal. I'd do the same to a person attacking me too.

Kid needs to make a case for the old bag not being in control of her dog. Bill the bitch 2k vets bills.