• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Things you can do this month

I'm reckoning wasps down this year, thank God. Did have a nest in the roof a couple of years ago.  Bees, both bumble and common, pretty prolific by contrast. Never been stung by a bee and I am a keen gardener. Wasps quite a lot, they really are nasty little f%ckers.

Just now, crashmonitor said:

I'm reckoning wasps down this year, thank God. Did have a nest in the roof a couple of years ago.  Bees, both bumble and common, pretty prolific by contrast. Never been stung by a bee and I am a keen gardener. Wasps quite a lot, they really are nasty little f%ckers.

I'm about to go and make a trap. 
I've seen loads of wasps recently. Not bothering hives yet but only a matter of time.

4 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Stung by bee once on my eyelid, was watching a combine harvester and bee just zoomed towards me and stung me instantly, was obviously quite irate! Had a few wasp stings, one where the wasp had flow down the back of my wellies and to be fair had a reason to be irked as was in the process of destroying the nest. Bad this year has been horseflies, had a few stings (well bites) and resulted each time in a really swollen itchy patch that stayed that way for days. 

8 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

I'm about to go and make a trap. 
I've seen loads of wasps recently. Not bothering hives yet but only a matter of time.

Reckon I'm in the clear even though I have the perfect breeding ground...wooden eaves, large flower borders. I have coincidentally washed down the eaves off a ladder this morning (something I do very rarely) no signs thank God I might have fallen off the ladder.

Visa transaction for wasps nest removal 19th August 2016..they would be active by now.

The queens do hibernate in my loft nevertheless and make their escape in the Spring.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I read an article last week that said not to make one of those jar traps using something sweet as the wasp will just signal to the other wasps where it is and then you are in trouble.

The trap instructions do say to not hang near where you'll sit etc.

My mum used to have a big coffee jar with water and jam in to catch the wasps around the bin. It was up on the top of a ledge well out of anyone's reach.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Stung by bee once on my eyelid, was watching a combine harvester and bee just zoomed towards me and stung me instantly, was obviously quite irate! Had a few wasp stings, one where the wasp had flow down the back of my wellies and to be fair had a reason to be irked as was in the process of destroying the nest. Bad this year has been horseflies, had a few stings (well bites) and resulted each time in a really swollen itchy patch that stayed that way for days. 

Yep flies are my biggest worry as a hiker. I have once sliced through a wasps nest with a hedge cutter and got stung about ten times...very little after reaction. One bite from the Blandford fly and you can get fever and tennis ball swellings. Public enemy number one as they arre after your blood and pump shit into you. They are all gone now, they attack in May.

Edited by crashmonitor

Having recently called out pest control to deal with 3 wasp nests in our loft space he reports that this year is a bumper year for wasps to an extent that is suppliers are short of the pesticide he uses. He was only able to deal with 2 of the three so we still have one active.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, dgul said:

I've seen loads of hornets recently -- normally see very few.  

Over run with hornets this year, wasps have been more than in recent years, bees as usual.

Hornets are the only insect in the UK that I'll kill if it looks like we're going to share accommodation. I've been stung by a hornet once on the top of my head. Felt like I'd been hit by a lump hammer and then crushed in a vice. Took a day for the headache to subside. A horse will flee at the sound of  hornet, understandably.

I don't mind wasps or bees

Edited by Hopeful

17 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Over run with hornets this year, wasps have been more than in recent years, bees as usual.

Hornets are the only insect in the UK that I'll kill if it looks like we're going to share accommodation. I've been stung by a hornet once on the top of my head. Felt like I'd been hit by a lump hammer and then crushed in a vice. Took a day for the headache to subside. A horse will flee at the sound of  hornet, understandably.

I don't mind wasps or bees

I got one of those butchers' grade UV insect electrocuters things this year as there's been loads of flies around.  Anyway, once in the house the hornets are driven mad for it.  They're a bit big to get through the protective grill, but once in they're gonners.  I think I might be a psychopath, as I've become fascinated by the process -- they're dead instantly, I'm sure, but they 'stick' to the electrode grid, start glowing / smoking and have little electrical sparkles all over them for ages (the normal process for flies is a sharp crack from the discharge, then dead-fly in tray at bottom)

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

I got one of those butchers' grade UV insect electrocuters things this year as there's been loads of flies around.  Anyway, once in the house the hornets are driven mad for it.  They're a bit big to get through the protective grill, but once in they're gonners.  I think I might be a psychopath, as I've become fascinated by the process -- they're dead instantly, I'm sure, but they 'stick' to the electrode grid, start glowing / smoking and have little electrical sparkles all over them for ages (the normal process for flies is a sharp crack from the discharge, then dead-fly in tray at bottom)

You got a good one there then!:Old:

4 minutes ago, dgul said:

Ahh, I should fit one in my kitchen. The kitchen window is above my wheelie bin, from which even the maggots are trying to escape

4 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Ahh, I should fit one in my kitchen. The kitchen window is above my wheelie bin, from which even the maggots are trying to escape

They do have one weakness, they effectively boil the fly on contact causing it to explode and burn. Unfortunately not all the fly is burned so bits of fly can shoot out onto cooking surfaces etc. Most industrial ones are mounted away from the food area.

1 minute ago, Option5 said:

They do have one weakness, they effectively boil the fly on contact causing it to explode and burn. Unfortunately not all the fly is burned so bits of fly can shoot out onto cooking surfaces etc. Most industrial ones are mounted away from the food area.

Don't the bits just get mistaken for ground pepper ?

10 minutes ago, Option5 said:

In my local Polish shop* they've got one suspended above the cheese counter.

[* that's where I saw one, and that sharp crack of dead fly evoked all those memories of my grandmother's cafe, where they had one round back.  That, along with the flies around this summer, meant I had to get one.  It was cheap, too (might be about to fail, of course, but it's done okay so far).]

12 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Having worked in many ostensibly good restaurants, I can reveal that bits of sizzlefly are the least of your worries.

I've done the butterfly count twice this year. Don't want to put anyone off but it's a real anti-climax. Large whites, small whites and a few speckled woods.

Have seen a few peacocks and red admirals generally but they're all bloody speckled woods or whites in my garden 99% of the time.

caught 30-40 wasps in a trap consisting of a coke bottle with the top half cut off and put back in the other way round

just leave a bit of stale coke in the bottom and the daft twats can't get back out once the go down the hole, eventually drowning

made us happy campers, especially having been stung by a couple of the little fuckers initially