• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Things you can do this month

2 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

I've done the butterfly count twice this year. Don't want to put anyone off but it's a real anti-climax. Large whites, small whites and a few speckled woods.

Have seen a few peacocks and red admirals generally but they're all bloody speckled woods or whites in my garden 99% of the time.

Buddleia will help, also known as the butterfly bush for good reason as a butterfly magnet. Can get straggly and unshapely but can be pruned hard back into shape.

2 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

I've done the butterfly count twice this year. Don't want to put anyone off but it's a real anti-climax. Large whites, small whites and a few speckled woods.

Have seen a few peacocks and red admirals generally but they're all bloody speckled woods or whites in my garden 99% of the time.

Come and try a walk in the Jura. Pretty sure I've seen all these except the "Large Skipper" Haven't seen so many butterflies since I was a kid, though I've got a vague memory of seeing large numbers in the meadows of Swaledale (also limestone) a few years back.

http://michaelfoleysnaturalhistorysite.blogspot.com/2012/08/french-jura-butterflies.html?_sm_au_=iVV8Q5QM1NtSqqLH

31 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Buddleia will help, also known as the butterfly bush for good reason as a butterfly magnet. Can get straggly and unshapely but can be pruned hard back into shape.

Yep got 4 of them.  And loads of lavender. Think it helps to be in a village surrounded by other gardens etc. 

14 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Yep got 4 of them.  And loads of lavender. Think it helps to be in a village surrounded by other gardens etc. 

Talking about lavender, our bushes usually attract lots of hummingbird hawk moths - didn't see a single one this year

4 hours ago, MrPin said:

There are some giant wasps in Pakistan. Must be about two inches long, and sound like helicopters.

Drones. Operated by US and UK mainly. They’re coming to get you!

2 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

I'm afraid I can't do much at all at this time of the month.

Can't afford any tampons....

;)

XYY

But once you get some, you'll be able to go swimming, windsurfing, paragliding and ice-skating. Just like the adverts show!

We’re a few hundred wasps down this morning. Discovered a nest 2 days ago whilst trying to strip the roof for our new extension. Couldn’t proceed without getting rid of it so they’ve had to go. 

As a kid, getting rid of wasp nests in the old brick wall cavities was done by making an IED (firelighter wired to can of brut deodorant), light firelighter then stuff/throw device at nest, retire to safe distance and detonate with an air rifle.

Not very efficient, but great fun. 

2 hours ago, MrPin said:

It's worse than seeing Brunel with a cigar. At least Brunel was French.

are you on about isbard brunel ? thought he was born in plymouth or portsmouth..ironicly bees evoled from wasps they coincide with flowers evolving which isnt a surprise.the trantula hawk wasp is often concidered to have the worst sting of wasp type criters.was invited over to visit the american tarantula society meeting and a couple of the lads have been stung by the fkers its fking painfull im told

1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

are you on about isbard brunel ? thought he was born in plymouth or portsmouth..ironicly bees evoled from wasps they coincide with flowers evolving which isnt a surprise.the trantula hawk wasp is often concidered to have the worst sting of wasp type criters.was invited over to visit the american tarantula society meeting and a couple of the lads have been stung by the fkers its fking painfull im told

His father was UNFORTUNATELY French.

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

His father was UNFORTUNATELY French.

was geting a bit worried has i thought he often wins the title of greatest briton ever,his big rival being churchill

1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

was geting a bit worried has i thought he often wins the title of greatest briton ever,his big rival being churchill

I am not familiar in which context you may have misquoted me.

11 minutes ago, Captain Cavey said:

As a kid, getting rid of wasp nests in the old brick wall cavities was done by making an IED (firelighter wired to can of brut deodorant), light firelighter then stuff/throw device at nest, retire to safe distance and detonate with an air rifle.

Not very efficient, but great fun. 

My brother used to fill one of the old-fashioned bike pumps with petrol and squirt it past a flame onto the nest. Amazingly he still has all his skin and hair, and from memory was only stung once.

Just now, MrPin said:

I am not familiar in which context you may have misquoted me.

ignore me 3 hours sleep after a nightshift,ive got tonight off and 8 beers waiting things could get even worse later

3 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Definitely, but once they've found your garden and set up home they should stick around, we're detached from other gardens but there is a lot of cover around the fence line so I suppose a lot of potential overwintering spots helps too.

1 hour ago, Battenberg said:

We’re a few hundred wasps down this morning. Discovered a nest 2 days ago whilst trying to strip the roof for our new extension. Couldn’t proceed without getting rid of it so they’ve had to go. 

Done that before and found it quite fun. Bloody things. Had to do one up a ladder then slide down it double quick. :D

Aren't these the sort of surveys that result in alarmist conclusions that Ospreys must definitely be extinct because no kids, who watch Blue Peter, have spotted one in the garden.

4 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Aren't these the sort of surveys that result in alarmist conclusions that Ospreys must definitely be extinct because no kids, who watch Blue Peter, have spotted one in the garden.

This isn't an osprey

sparrowhawk.jpg

1 hour ago, unregistered_guest said:

But once you get some, you'll be able to go swimming, windsurfing, paragliding and ice-skating. Just like the adverts show!

its just a matter of time until the adverts depict 5ft 6 inch women who weight 30 stone partacking of such activities

4 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

No!

Tampons make you young, pretty and fit!

The advertisers wouldn't lie to us!

its just a matter of time until they drag a one legged woman up everest,even better if she is gay