• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Is it time we banned all religion?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/aug/23/nuns-charged-in-investigation-into-child-abuse-at-smyllum-park

Police in Scotland have arrested and charged nuns and a number of other former staff in an investigation into alleged child abuse at a Catholic children’s home.

The nuns are among 12 people who have been charged by detectives investigating detailed allegations of systematic physical and sexual abuse of children over many decades at Smyllum Park in Lanark. 

Twelve people, 11 women and one man, ages ranging from 62 to 85 years, have been arrested and charged in connection with the non-recent abuse of children,” it said.

Difficult one. I dislike all organised religions and would definitely vote for a blanket ban on the lot of them. Although the ones who didn't cause trouble would be exempt. Oh wait there aren't any. 

Yes there are come to think about it, Buddhists and Wiccas, never heard of any of them doing mean things to other people. I wouldn't ban them just for wearing funny clothes and chanting and stuff. 

3 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

No. It isn't time to ban religion, nor should it ever be.

If you'd said that forcing it on others should be banned I might've been persuaded.

But what you choose to believe is up to you.

The only thing that truly belongs to me is my mind - no matter how mental it is...!

;)

XYY

Totally understand but what's going on in your mind isn't religion IMO. It's spirituality. That would be encouraged and subsidised on my planet, with free mescalin. 

My definition of religion is getting together with others in a theologically and temporally rules-based organisation. That's when shit always goes sideways. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Difficult one. I dislike all organised religions and would definitely vote for a blanket ban on the lot of them. Although the ones who didn't cause trouble would be exempt. Oh wait there aren't any. 

Yes there are come to think about it, Buddhists and Wiccas, never heard of any of them doing mean things to other people. I wouldn't ban them just for wearing funny clothes and chanting and stuff. 

If chanting and wearing funny clothes were banned you could say goodbye Morris dancing 9_9 in fact most "folk" dancing.

Jedi ?

Oh and Football fans :D (or most sports fans for that matter)

Edited by Option5

Posted (edited)

EDIT: @Funn3r - meant to quote you, sorry.

I can see your point, but I'm a "live-and-let-live" kind of guy so I don't really like banning anything.

Organised religion has caused millions of deaths, and pain and poverty for the majority of its followers, but do people of a secular persuasion necessarily fair any better...?

Facebook et al are the new religions as far as I can see - and they are just as efficient at turning decent people into total fuck-wits via the collective group-think as any bunch of door-knocking Bible-bashing twats...!

;)

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

I can see your point, but I'm a "live-and-let-live" kind of guy so I don't really like banning anything.

Organised religion has caused millions of deaths, and pain and poverty for the majority of its followers, but do people of a secular persuasion necessarily fair any better...?

Facebook et al are the new religions as far as I can see - and they are just as efficient at turning decent people into total fuck-wits via the collective group-think as any bunch of door-knocking Bible-bashing twats...!

;)

XYY

As a disciple of the great god pedant I have to point out that et al. has a full stop as it's an abbreviation of et alia.:D:D

May your god go with you......

1 minute ago, Option5 said:

As a disciple of the great god pedant I have to point out that et al. has a full stop as it's an abbreviation of et alia.:D:D

I also think he meant "fare any better". May God give you many biscuits, and fine cheese! I too am a pedant.

Some religions prevent their priest caste from engaging in marriage and normal sexual relations. The inevitable result is dysfunctional behaviour by people in positions of authority. It's not just Catholics either, the same occurs in Buddhism but the press don't like to talk about that.

Naming no names but other religions are overtly supremacist in nature which results in predation of outsiders. Those religions need to be terminated with extreme prejudice.

5 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I also think he meant "fare any better". May God give you many biscuits, and fine cheese! I too am a pedant.

Er, er, it was a pun your Pinship - I swear...!!!

Actually I do swear - rather a fucking lot..!

;)

XYY

2 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Some religions prevent their priest caste from engaging in marriage and normal sexual relations. The inevitable result is dysfunctional behaviour by people in positions of authority. It's not just Catholics either, the same occurs in Buddhism but the press don't like to talk about that.

Naming no names but other religions are overtly supremacist in nature which results in predation of outsiders. Those religions need to be terminated with extreme prejudice.

"Join a closed group and receive favours from the group, with different favours on offer depending upon your status in the group" Religion is just a leg-up, no more than polite corruption as far as I can see.

I'm against banning things, but I'd not grant any special status or derogations to any religions or members of religions.

Just now, Hopeful said:

"Join a closed group and receive favours from the group, with different favours on offer depending upon your status in the group" Religion is just a leg-up, no more than polite corruption as far as I can see.

I'm against banning things, but I'd not grant any special status or derogations to any religions or members of religions.

How about we remove all the charity status and tax breaks and treat them like any other business?

Just now, Option5 said:

How about we remove all the charity status and tax breaks and treat them like any other business?

Do the Masons get tax breaks ? - I can't see any religion is any different

I'm not aware of any issue with Buddhism *, Hinduism, Sikhism, Quakers or Rastas

*Until I saw whitevanman's post above.

The main offenders seem to be Sunni Islam and Catholicism.

I think I would be happy with banning religious indoctrination of anyone under 18 on the basis that much of the problem comes from continual brainwashing throughout childhood. 

7 minutes ago, Option5 said:

As a disciple of the great god Pedant, I have to point out that the name pedant should have a capital P.:D:D

May your cod go with you......

Just now, ashestoashes said:

As a disciple of the great god Pedant, I have to point out that the name pedant should have a capital P.:D:D

May your cod go with you......

Dammit, hoist by my own petard............:CryBaby:

6 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Er, er, it was a pun your Pinship - I swear...!!!

Actually I do swear - rather a fucking lot..!

;)

XYY

That's enough potty mouth. See me after assembly.

Just now, Option5 said:

Dammit, hoist by my own petard............:CryBaby:

Don't fret it mate - you're in good company.

Even a guru like @Cunning Plan has befallen such a fate after pulling me up for my grammar errors in the past...!

;)

XYY

20 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I don't really see how anybody of serious religious conviction could complain about being forced to suffer during their mortal existence. In fact I thought that was the whole point, really.

12 minutes ago, NTB said:

I'm not aware of any issue with Buddhism *, Hinduism, Sikhism, Quakers or Rastas

*Until I saw whitevanman's post above.

The main offenders seem to be Sunni Islam and Catholicism.

I think I would be happy with banning religious indoctrination of anyone under 18 on the basis that much of the problem comes from continual brainwashing throughout childhood. 

Should this not be Christian as the abuse in the Protestant churches is rife too.  

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/xwwd3w/evangelical-preachers-grandson-says-protestants-abuse-kids-just-like-catholics

" A few years ago, data was gathered from some of the top insurance providers for Protestant churches. It was found that they received 260 reports a year of minors being sexually abused by church leaders or church members. Similarly, the John Jay Report on the Catholic Church came up with 228 credible accusations by priests. "

1 minute ago, montecristo said:

Should this not be Christian as the abuse in the Protestant churches is rife too.  

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/xwwd3w/evangelical-preachers-grandson-says-protestants-abuse-kids-just-like-catholics

" A few years ago, data was gathered from some of the top insurance providers for Protestant churches. It was found that they received 260 reports a year of minors being sexually abused by church leaders or church members. Similarly, the John Jay Report on the Catholic Church came up with 228 credible accusations by priests. "

It seems like the Protestants have "won"?:o

19 minutes ago, NTB said:

Maybe we should politely ask all religions to observe a 100 year moratorium? If their God is that powerful I am sure he will have no problem re-establishing things in the aftermath.

32 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Also I don't believe it's grammatically correct to put a question or exclamation mark after an ellipsis, although I will bow to academic consensus on this one. Neither do I think there actually is a hyphen in fuckwit.

1 minute ago, Funn3r said:

Also I don't believe it's grammatically correct to put a question or exclamation mark after an ellipsis, although I will bow to academic consensus on this one. Neither do I think there actually is a hyphen in fuckwit.

There is if you reach the 80th character on your ancient VT-200 terminal.