• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
WorkingPoor

Is it possible to die from "Grief"

Posted (edited)

Story today from Hurghada of a Brit couple who died within hours of each other 

he had a heart attack 

she "died within hours from grief" say doctors. 

Chief exec of Thomas Cook flying out to offer support as woman worked at a Thomas Cook travel agents.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/first-picture-british-couple-who-13128045

I don't buy it, according to t'internet it is not possible to die from "Grief" 

there can be cardiac damage which leads to coronary over the longterm but certainly not "die within hours from grief" 

is this more fake news like the woman who "fell off" a cruise ship last week? 

Edited by WorkingPoor

1 minute ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Where I grew up we had 2 neighbours, old farmers, life long enemies. 80odd years a piece... died within 24 hours of each other. One was crushed by a silage bail the other afterwards of natural causes... I recon he just gave up knowing he'd 'won' the multi decade feud :)

didnt one of the members of elo get killed by a silage bail? this could be easily explained if he owned a farm but im sure he was driveing his car when it hit him.

5 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

didnt one of the members of elo get killed by a silage bail? this could be easily explained if he owned a farm but im sure he was driveing his car when it hit him.

Mike Edwards. Hay bale hit his van somewhere in Devon IIRC.

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Broken Heart Syndrome is a real thing.

Yes, brought on by grief but still a heart attack/heart failure?

1 minute ago, Option5 said:

Mike Edwards. Hay bale hit his van somewhere in Devon IIRC.

they could be killing more people than bulls yearly,farmers should put warning sighns up for dog walkers

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, whocares said:

Totally agree. She must have had a heart attack (too) ... brought on by the emotional shock of her husband's death?

Isnt that the same thing?

Agree that Broken heart syndrome is real. At the finish all death is due to lack of oxygen to the brain.
Edited by Mirror Mirror

Posted (edited)

Thomas Cook’s head of Customer Welfare, Carole Mackenzie, has travelled to the resort in Egypt following the incident.

It is understood that the company are investigating whether any health and safety issues, such as ventilation problems or food poisoning, contributed to the couple's deaths.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/23/british-couple-die-egypt-red-sea-resort-hurghada/

Its not adding up is it?

Edited by WorkingPoor

43 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

There was an interesting programme on R4 about this a few months ago, but yes it's a cardiac issue. Going by the typical sufferers profile this poor lady fits the bill. 

I also read that there is an opposite effect, which was spotted from mortality statistics: namely that if you are old, and have an important event that you want to attend (I think the analysis was done on a Jewish festival), you can delay natural death by a few days.

25 minutes ago, Mirror Mirror said:

At the finish all death is due to lack of oxygen to the brain.

Perhaps somewhat arguable if the nominal cause of death is "vaporisation by atomic explosion"?

2 minutes ago, BurntBread said:

I also read that there is an opposite effect, which was spotted from mortality statistics: namely that if you are old, and have an important event that you want to attend (I think the analysis was done on a Jewish festival), you can delay natural death by a few days.

Yes, this is the power of will, 

lots of examples in old literature like the Hagakure (from feudal japan times)  

I believe so. 

My nan died, not always the best of health. Granddad, quiet man but one of those strong types, even with the promise of a new life in Australia with the offspring (not the group) was dead within 3 months. Had been together 40-odd years. On the surface you didn't see much romance, but lots of kids.

Sudden, unexpected. Heart attack or something like that.

Nan was one of these matriarchal women families then we're built around. He always seemed more of a bit player, but was there to do the disciplining and man's work. 

I can answer this one.

It's called Katasumo  syndrome. It's a relatively newly recognised syndrome. Katasumo means octopus trap....I believe.   Basically a clay pot that the creature climbs into.

Extreme loss causes the heart to change shape...it looks like the clay pot. It's efficiency is greatly reduced, sometimes leading to the death of the individual.

Well, they clearly think dying from grief is contagious, as Thomas Cook has acted to remove everyone else from the hotel.

3 minutes ago, dgul said:

Well, they clearly think dying from grief is contagious, as Thomas Cook has acted to remove everyone else from the hotel.

any idea if hay bails are involved?

10 minutes ago, dgul said:

Ooooh! i knew this was suspect

Linky?