• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Cunning Plan

Children leaving home

Only really starting this to wind up @One percent but having shuffled off the 18 year old to America earlier this month I have today managed to launch the 16 year old into a nine year exeat.

How old were your kids when they left, or do you operate an offspring hotel?

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

he's 23 and still here.

Interesting. My 18 year old was never a stroppy teenager but we were getting to the point where he was challenging the household dynamic. Had he stayed another year or two I think we would have fallen out. 

Did you work through this or was it never an issue?

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

Only really starting this to wind up @One percent but having shuffled off the 18 year old to America earlier this month I have today managed to launch the 16 year old into a nine year exeat.

How old were your kids when they left, or do you operate an offspring hotel?

It would only wind the old hen up if she wanted them to leave, she’s actually desperate for hers to stay. :P

Very well done btw. Top work, 16 and 18 is an incredible achievement in these days.  

2 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

It would only wind the old hen up if she wanted them to leave, she’s actually desperate for hers to stay. :P

Very well done btw. Top work, 16 and 18 is an incredible achievement in these days.  

Many years of cunning planning has come to fruition.

And I really hope I have given them the launch they need to overcome the shitstorm this country has dealt upon its youth.

2 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

They're 4 and 1.

So I expect that they'll be here for a while yet 

xD

Never too early to start planning.

7 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Interesting. My 18 year old was never a stroppy teenager but we were getting to the point where he was challenging the household dynamic. Had he stayed another year or two I think we would have fallen out. 

Did you work through this or was it never an issue?

I don't think he was ever very stroppy. 

He went to uni for a couple of years and dropped out. Hasn't got himself a job and don't blame him. Am probably a terrible mother for not forcing him to get a shite job and actually leave the house. 

He cooks dinner during the week, empties the dishwasher and is generally very quiet. If I could persuade him to vac up then it'd be even better. He's quite a good cook but realises that working in the catering industry is mostly crap.

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

He went to uni for a couple of years and dropped out. Hasn't got himself a job and don't blame him. Am probably a terrible mother for not forcing him to get a shite job and actually leave the house. 

He cooks dinner during the week, empties the dishwasher and is generally very quiet. If I could persuade him to vac up then it'd be even better. He's quite a good cook but realises that working in the catering industry is mostly crap.

He sounds perfect. I think @spunko2010 was looking for a butler?

Posted (edited)

Mine are, 14, 12, 8, & 7, so we’re not at that stage yet. However my parents outsourced us to boarding school at the age of 11. I’m all in favour of doing the same (and could just about afford it by selling all 3 of my kidneys) but herself vetoed the idea. My siblings all vacated the parental nest by 19 (and we all had great relationships with them and each other) and we all travelled extensively. I believe cutting the apron strings early is a huge developmental advantage. This is based purely on anecdotal evidence and is bad science.

For reference I’m the youngest of 5.

Edited by Horrified Onlooker
Sharing my family size....

daughter left at 21 from the xs,a 25 year old is still there but he will buy that house so she will become his lodger in theory his twin was thrown out at 19 ,then thrown out of mine at 21.the youngest step son was thrown out at 20 due to drink and drugs and bullying and joined the army.his older brother was thrown out at 21 for stealing cash and bringing trouble to the door.the lad aged 25 who i threw out is now working and has a kid on the way.the one who joined the army thanked us abiet 5 years later for turning his life around.and the eldest is aparently very ill so has never worked more than 6 months but has now  got 5 kids and on benifits has apparently got 3 horses and is a dab hand with a chainsaw and landscape gardening and drives a 25k tuscan thanks to mobility.

so in a way they are all geting there ,except for the eldest stepson who in theory is still stealing.they might sound like a bunch of kunts but if ones in the shit they are there for each other and me,in a way that the middle class could never understand.now my aunty had 2 lads aged 50 odd that have never left home.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

My brother has one like that. Lovely lad, but at 27 he shouldn’t be a lad any more, he should be a man. He works in bars/pubs, so has cash and is no trouble, but it’s not right IMO.

Edited by swiss_democracy_for_all

25 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

daughter left at 21 from the xs,a 25 year old is still there but he will buy that house so she will become his lodger in theory his twin was thrown out at 19 ,then thrown out of mine at 21.the youngest step son was thrown out at 20 due to drink and drugs and bullying and joined the army.his older brother was thrown out at 21 for stealing cash and bringing trouble to the door.the lad aged 25 who i threw out is now working and has a kid on the way.the one who joined the army thanked us abiet 5 years later for turning his life around.and the eldest is aparently very ill so has never worked more than 6 months but has now  got 5 kids and on benifits has apparently got 3 horses and is a dab hand with a chainsaw and landscape gardening and drives a 25k tuscan thanks to mobility.

so in a way they are all geting there ,except for the eldest stepson who in theory is still stealing.they might sound like a bunch of kunts but if ones in the shit they are there for each other and me,in a way that the middle class could never understand.now my aunty had 2 lads aged 50 odd that have never left home.

my postman is 50 odd and lives with his mother, odd sort. always remind me of 'machine' from 8mm types like that.

4 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

My brother has one like that. Lovely lad, but at 27 he shouldn’t be a lad any more, he should be a man. He works in bars/pubs, so has cash and is no trouble, but it’s not right IMO.

he need to go on pof and start fucking single mums just for shits and giggles,i was useing cbs to find em from 18-20 mind im not male role model.

3 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

my postman is 50 odd and lives with his mother, odd sort. always remind me of 'machine' from 8mm types like that.

i know quite a few they will be dead before they have ever lived,ive a few middleclass friends and there kids are often great indeed well turned out polite etc.but sometimes theres something missing .all of these friends are male and all there wifes look down on me has the working class pet friend of there husbands.i remember one snob saying ok we were all drunk and what have you done with your life mark ,im like not much but ive held the remains of the pilthdown skull in my hands and it reminds me of your inteligence,my mates like what the fucks that....middleclass i love em.

25 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

i know quite a few they will be dead before they have ever lived,ive a few middleclass friends and there kids are often great indeed well turned out polite etc.but sometimes theres something missing .all of these friends are male and all there wifes look down on me has the working class pet friend of there husbands.i remember one snob saying ok we were all drunk and what have you done with your life mark ,im like not much but ive held the remains of the pilthdown skull in my hands and it reminds me of your inteligence,my mates like what the fucks that....middleclass i love em.

You should make a film of your life.

4 minutes ago, XswampyX said:

You should make a film of your life.

well was invited in the underbelly of the natural history museam ,if memory serves right it was paul hilliyard ie spider related .you think its interesting up top go below.the pilthdown skull was a huge hoax and probably aided by a guy working there so at the time it was just a curio,it set back paileontology by decades.you can see specimens in jars taken by darwin,etc ie the hollotype species .ie first collected.my favrite collector /taxonomer from the past is poecock.i used to be in touch with many taxonomers from the aracnid scene .what was funny was when we were haveing a coffee was when i was handed the bits in a plastic bag and asked what i made of it i looked and guessed correctly .it was kept in a fileing cabinet just for shits and giggles by the academics has they knew it was a scam and has such was of no interest.last time i heard it had its own display because it became so infamouse,it nealy rivals lucy and in time will become better known.has the fossil record goes backwards.

Posted (edited)

From my limited experience kids have grown up in far more comfortable circumstances than we of the older generation did, and therefore are less likley to make choices that would result in a step down in living standards. I left home at 18 and lived in some pretty dreadful places before working my way up to a comfortable house in a nice area. Many of the kids of my middle class friends seem to want to skip the house share or crappy flat stage and move straight into a  family home in a middle class area and many parents seem happy to let their kids live at home for free for longer in order for them to achieve this. Quite how making the jump from living at home for free to running a house with a mortgage will work out I'm not sure, but I think it will be a big shock to the system.

Edited by Fossildog

I agree with most of this thread but we are getting a bit boomerish with the "in my day" comments.

When I started work it was in London on a low wage, about half the average wage, but I didn't have a concern about how I was going to pay the rent because it wasn't much.

These days if you're on half the average wage then most of your money is going to go in rent.

There is a much bigger incentive for staying at home even after getting your first or even second job because you are saving a fortune.

I left home at 18 for college but with rents these days I would probably have come home afterwards and stayed until my mid to late twenties when I started getting a decent salary.

32 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I agree with most of this thread but we are getting a bit boomerish with the "in my day" comments.

When I started work it was in London on a low wage, about half the average wage, but I didn't have a concern about how I was going to pay the rent because it wasn't much.

These days if you're on half the average wage then most of your money is going to go in rent.

There is a much bigger incentive for staying at home even after getting your first or even second job because you are saving a fortune.

I left home at 18 for college but with rents these days I would probably have come home afterwards and stayed until my mid to late twenties when I started getting a decent salary.

Which in itself can be a bit tricky if you're limited to jobs within easy transit of your mum's house.

I did just that, and left home mid 20's on decent money, but I was lucky in where my parents lived that there were jobs nearby.

xD

No.1 daughter is just going into year 4 of doctor training. No.2 daughter is just going into year 2 of midwife training. Lord knows I hope they do do inherit their bedside manner from me. I am an unsympathetic git. The boy will be going to Bristol in a few weeks to study engineering.  And then there were none! All of them are independent kids, so they will be ok. 

6 hours ago, stokiescum said:

No idea what class I am and haven't ever bothered to wonder, but most of the modern, 1st generation middle class are complete twats, 'up their own arse' with their 'success' is one description. Unfortunately, my career embedded me among them and my face is a window to my soul ...

4 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

No idea what class I am and haven't ever bothered to wonder, but most of the modern, 1st generation middle class are complete twats, 'up their own arse' with their 'success' is one description. Unfortunately, my career embedded me among them and my face is a window to my soul ...

There are three classes:

1. those who do not need to work as they have enough to be self sufficient 
  2. those who have to work
  3. those kept by the state. 

Its all all about your relationship to the means of production (or not in the case of bennie seekers) as Marx would say 

8 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Are you sure..?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJVXlVZZVgJcu98AF96oL

:D

28 minutes ago, man o' the year said:

Oldest (daughter) off to uni this year. Not quite sure how we who are left will cope. Already realise I am compensating by helping youngest even more with her GCSE Maths. 

Yep, my eldest is off to Aberdeen Uni next week and I'm really torn. On the one hand I'll get the sofa and computer etc back and won't have to put up with her stroppy demands, endless stream of consciousness or getting up predawn on Sunday to take her places... but on the other, it's the beginning of the end of the having kids era and the beginning of being broke era.