• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Panther

Lucky Escapes

1 hour ago, Panther said:

A thread to recall any lucky escapes.

Upbeat, male, not a sympathy-fest.

To start... I broke my spine in two places last week, but I'm going to be ok!

The things you have to do to get a three-nurse bedbath in an opium haze!

Shit! How did you manage that? Hope you're all healed up again soon.

Lucky Escape? For the rest of you that is. Many years ago, I went for an interview for ATC at West Drayton. There was a test that got harder and harder. I rattled through it with a bit of guesswork.  I missed the point of the test. The interviewer explained that he didn't want the most right answers, but no wrong answers. Don't fly AirPin.:Old:

Driving home from working in Aberdeen to Manchester for Christmas 21st December 1988 decided on a whim to work through lunch and leave an hour early. One our after I passed though Lockerbie Pam Am 103 made an unscheduled landing there including some of the A74.

I've had two notable lucky escapes and a few certainly that are up there. No idea how I'm still here really xD The two notable were;  During the most epic powder day with a metre of fresh snow in 24 horus, I fell into a small gully head first, with every arm push it just went into deep fluffy snow so had no way of actually uprighting myself. I finally managed to get my head up out the snow with not long to go before suffocating. Took me a further 10 minutes to actually get the energy and composure to get myself out. Even though it was -30 I was so hot and sweating buckets. Probably burnt a weeks worth of calories in that escape xD

The other, on the motorbike, the A272, car came around the bend half on my side of the road (I assume taking some kind of racing line) and went back into their lane with literally a second to spare from a head on.

11 minutes ago, Option5 said:

Driving home from working in Aberdeen to Manchester for Christmas 21st December 1988 decided on a whim to work through lunch and leave an hour early. One our after I passed though Lockerbie Pam Am 103 made an unscheduled landing there including some of the A74.

I went to Aberdeen once for work. I was up there 3 years.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Admiral Pepe said:

I've had two notable lucky escapes and a few certainly that are up there. No idea how I'm still here really xD The two notable were;  During the most epic powder day with a metre of fresh snow in 24 horus, I fell into a small gully head first, with every arm push it just went into deep fluffy snow so had no way of actually uprighting myself. I finally managed to get my head up out the snow with not long to go before suffocating. Took me a further 10 minutes to actually get the energy and composure to get myself out. Even though it was -30 I was so hot and sweating buckets. Probably burnt a weeks worth of calories in that escape xD

The other, on the motorbike, the A272, car came around the bend half on my side of the road (I assume taking some kind of racing line) and went back into their lane with literally a second to spare from a head on.

Same thing happened to me whilst on my bike and I was totally reliant on the reactions of the idiot driver. I remember thinking will he, won't he and only just in time. I wasn't a happy bunny but by then he was long gone.

Luckiest escape for me was having a full frontal collapse on my paraglider that was too low for recovery and too low for a *reserve throw and I ended up crashing into the one solitary, recently established tree that broke my fall. On either side there were rocks. I survived with little more than a graze the tree didn't. 

*reserve failed to deploy.

Edited by longtomsilver

I’ve two 

Put my car on the roof when I ran out of driving talent, if the tree in the hedge I hit had have been a couple of feet to the left doubt I’d have walked away 

Second one was working in a warehouse during the summer when at uni. Coming back from tea break to find the manager clearing up the mess where two pallets of flour had fallen from three racks high right onto the spot I had been working 10 minutes earlier 

Rope swing over a stream. The stream entered a tunnel and the tree was growing in the soil over the tunnel. I got right out to the full extent of the arc of the swing and the stick that was tied to the rope snapped in half. Travelled about 25/30 feet through the air, half a stick still in each hand and landed on my back. Sod all water in the stream but a load of small branches that had wedged in front of the tunnel. The branches were all laid flat and broke the fall so well I just got up just slightly winded, any sticks sticking upwards or none at all just with bare stone or rock would have been a different scenario entriely.

you could have just parked it on the street until you sobered up you know, must have been a light car, or you are superman. Strange to have a hedge, let alone a tree in a hedge on your roof as well.

Having a boss try to cut my head off with an ISIS style knife complete with a blood groove. It was a case of mistaken identity. He was drunk and thought I was the guy rogering his missus. The knife was fortunately, the wrong way around. All was forgotten about the next day.

Nearly got completely taken out by a fast moving coach on The Gold Coast about a decade back, i was mid way across the road when it suddenly turned left without warning, i was able to leap up on to the side spiderman style just at the right moment and gravity dropped me back at the kerb - fiancee watched on in terror :0

Whoa there are some seriously lucky people in this thread. Or conversely very unlucky to have been in the situation at all. Even my biggest near misses are too small to write about. My mum was hit by lightning once, melted her handlebars but otherwise unhurt. 

19 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

My mum was hit by lightning once, melted her handlebars but otherwise unhurt. 

It's rather bad form to imply that your mum is a bike... O.o

25 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Whoa there are some seriously lucky people in this thread. Or conversely very unlucky to have been in the situation at all. Even my biggest near misses are too small to write about. My mum was hit by lightning once, melted her handlebars but otherwise unhurt. 

Overtaking on an uphil blind bend a combination of car and another car towing a boat, so effectively a car train. They were doing 10m/h, it was a road away from the coast on a Sunday morning.. 

But I needed a beer :)