• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Mirror Mirror

Italy lure incomers with tax breaks.

Italy mulls tax breaks to lure retirees to its Southern regions. This piqued my interest, not sure why.

At least Five Star have realised that African migrants areen’t the problem to the depopulation problems.

My other thought was, I wonder who else might have moved into your chosen region recently.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/24/italy-mulls-massive-tax-break-lure-retirees-including-britons/?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1535108411

No bloody tax for ten bloody years, got to be tempting. Portugal long had this. 

But you might get a huge haircut on your savings or any property if Italy defaults.

Interesting how Italy has never bothered going after the same Brits that Spain, and to a lesser extent France and Portugal, has.

For most of my life Italy was considered pretty expensive to visit. Never worked out why as the place always looks asif it is falling apart but stuff like coffees,food, etc, always seemed expensive whilst the Italians all gave the impression of being wealthy swanning around in Armani. Maybe that was just the tourist spots.

This is an example of Europe freedom of movement working for both parties. Italy gets some "wealthy" Brits that spend money locally and Britain gains by reducing its population slightly.

If I was retired I wouldn't mind spending the winter months somewhere warm like Italy.

48 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

This is an example of Europe freedom of movement working for both parties. Italy gets some "wealthy" Brits that spend money locally and Britain gains by reducing its population slightly.

If I was retired I wouldn't mind spending the winter months somewhere warm like Italy.

Britain doesn't gain by losing wealthy retirees unless they are replaced by dynamic young workers who work 40 hours and are paying into the system. We know that isn't what happens. Their big pensions get spent in Italy, and the UK subsidizes the housing and wages of their low-paid or non-working replacements from EE/ME/North Africa so the UK loses every which way. The retirees do alright out of it, but not Britain. 

2 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Britain doesn't gain by losing wealthy retirees unless they are replaced by dynamic young workers who work 40 hours and are paying into the system. We know that isn't what happens. Their big pensions get spent in Italy, and the UK subsidizes the housing and wages of their low-paid or non-working replacements from EE/ME/North Africa so the UK loses every which way. The retirees do alright out of it, but not Britain. 

When i'm old, I wouldn't give a fuck. If I was nearing retirement i'd seriously take a look at this.

This country has done nothing to deserve my loyalty.

Sadly, we're not old enough yet :) and :(

I did manage to persuade my partner to move to Italy. But then he was a little drunk at the time,

So yesterday we spent a few hours watching those "A Place in the Sun" episodes set in Italy.

So depressing: seemingly about 80% of the episodes of that show are in Spain, presume this is because retirees would have spent their package holidays there back in the day and think it familiar, also, maybe a little less foreign because when you go to a holiday resort you find plenty of Spanish people who speak English.  For me, Spain isn't especially attractive and much of the landscape is uninteresting and barren. The architecture looks a bit, well, "spartan" and dull. Not unlike here - depending on where you are, you "have to go somewhere" to see "nice architecture".

Anyway, Bologna - while expensive - looks beautiful, Verona and Rome are gorgeous, Venice is atrociously expensive and less practical, and there was indeed an episode about Calabria, one of the areas where this offer may be set to apply. I suspect that Sicily in't the best bet, the accent and language are sufficiently different to nothern Italy for someone who has learned "formal" or "official" Italian to cope from the beginning (Inspector Montalbano for instance - I still really struggle to hear a fair bit of what people are saying), and it has a slight problem with migration at the moment - and Calabria is "next-door". Plus, like in Naples, the Mafia seem to have something of a stronghold.

If my geography is right - it was never one of my strong points. Here's the Calabria one if anyone is interested enough in the deal and wants to take a nose around.

We thought it the least attractive and least interesting but then that's a 20 minute cut of a few locations. I'd want to be in that triangle up North (the 3 big cities) which is also going to be much more expensive.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/a-place-in-the-sun/on-demand/40063-020

Bear in mind it was about 15 years ago IIRC so the house prices won't be reliable.

7 minutes ago, eight said:

How about Sardinia Mark? Great people, I know lots of them and they would all still be there but for chronic unemployment.

The only mental images I have of Sardinia are from that James Bond film - I suppose I see it as "not really being Italy" - it's quite a long way out.

Oddly I find myself drawn to a more city-style lifestyle with Italy because of the rich culture. I woudn't live in any of our cities here, except for - just maybe - Cambridge or Edinburgh which are perhaps our best by a number of measures including that one. London has lots of culture going for it, but it is a dangerous shithole.

Have lived in rural Britain for 11 years and over here I much prefer it to urban living. But I think I could put up with city life and make that compromise there, because of the sheer volume of places to go, things to look at, and the underlying culture of the society by which I don't just mean "it has a few art gelleries and a museum if you care to drag yourself along to one of those", but "it is everywhere". If that makes sense.

There's a reason these places are sparsely populated.

IIRC The Italians stopped people buying / building on the side of Vesuvius a few years back, but still allowed foreigners to do it !!

xDxDxD

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Fischer said:

There's a reason these places are sparsely populated.

IIRC The Italians stopped people buying / building on the side of Vesuvius a few years back, but still allowed foreigners to do it !!

xDxDxD

Not to forget the houses you can buy for €1. Snag is you have to use local builders to renovate, rebuild them. The villages they were in are deserted because they were seriously damaged by earthquakes. Aside from that there absolute bargains.

Having just done an internet search there are also some in inhabited villages where the population is declining because the young people are going to the cities for work.

Edited by sleepwello'nights
Proof reading and update

Watched a few more of those property programmes on Saturday.

Looking through just about every episode of "A Place in the Sun" ever made, or what's on All 4, anyway, only about five are set in Italy. Out of hundreds of shows. It's not a popular destination for British people wanting to live abroad.

What was striking was the reason given for the desire to make the move. In every case "food and culture". Same for me.

When the presenter spoke to a number of people who had already moved to the area from here, and asking what they did for work, almost all said "Teach English" and I'd already thought about this. That's a crowded marketspace but it is not badly paid as a side-job when done face-to-face. Requires better Italian than I have now, though.

5 minutes ago, DTMark said:

When the presenter spoke to a number of people who had already moved to the area from here, and asking what they did for work, almost all said "Teach English" and I'd already thought about this. That's a crowded marketspace but it is not badly paid as a side-job when done face-to-face. Requires better Italian than I have now, though.

You could challenge yourself to one year of total immersion, I reckon you'd get there.

1 minute ago, eight said:

You could challenge yourself to one year of total immersion, I reckon you'd get there.

We've been watching Gomorra again from the start this weekend. The best TV series ever made.

I can now recognise the differences in the language down South (qui = 'cua'?, non so = non sage, etc.) - and I've only been learning it as a hobby, not "seriously" - I think were I to commit an hour a day even here I'd get really good results.

Mind you, while I can generally understand much of what someone in Rome might say, I can understand perhaps 30% of what the people in that series (set in Naples) say. But then that's because it's gangster-drawl. I suppose like the equivalent of a broad Essex-boy accent here.. "Leev it ahhht".

I did recently search the online language learning websites for someone who teaches Italian whose first language is English. I thought it might be useful to get a few sessions in order to get advice on certain differeneces and difficulties.

The search returned two results. It's rare going English > Italian.

Another thought that occurs and had me giggling..

Just about all of the properties shown had religious iconography - statues of the Madonna, paintings, canvases of Jesus.

That would be coming down immediately.

I suppose one way to get off to a very bad start with locals, especially in a rural and more religious area, is to chuck it all out onto the front lawn, set it on fire and have a pyre of religious iconography smouldering for days :)