• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Professional Wrestling

I really enjoyed 'Attitude'-era WWF when I was a kid - late 90's kinda time. I watch some of the old stuff on YouTube sometimes, and some late 80's early 90's stuff; Ultimate Warrior Hulk Hogan Macho Man ect...

They're great showmen and athletes that's for sure, even if it isn't 'real'. Lots if not most of the ones from my childhood died young from steroid use.

Posted (edited)

Used to watch it regularly on the old World of Sport back in the 1970s when I was a student. A great sport for old men as some of the pro wrestlers were knocking 50 even then. I actually met the late Mick McManus through my job. The man was a proper gent and absolutely nothing like his image as a wrestling 'heel'. He collected  Meissen porcelain on which he was something of an expert. Obviously pro wrestling is as choreographed as ballet but then the participants normally dont end up as brain damaged like boxers . In fact the link with dance can be seen in a few wrestlers CVs like the late black wrestler Johnny Kwango (real name John Lagey) who performed with the Ballet Negre. Incidentally, Lagey who was born in Peckham in the 1920s gives the lie to the myth that all black people in England turned up on the Windrush.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Kwango

Edited by Virgil Caine

It's great.  Though I have only distant memories of Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks.

It would have been tears before bedtime if Big Daddy ever list and the promoters knew it.

I'm sure if I was a kid then I would have hugely enjoyed the American showbiz version with dressing up, lights, music and special effects.

even bruce lee got into martial arts via dance,theres one wrestler from the 70s who im sure bought up a large gaff around here and donated it for charitable use was it the guy with a mask that played the baddie

3 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

even bruce lee got into martial arts via dance,theres one wrestler from the 70s who im sure bought up a large gaff around here and donated it for charitable use was it the guy with a mask that played the baddie

Kendo Nagasaki.  He didn't leave they much of an impression on me as a "baddie" but I remember Wayne Hemingway (fashion designer) for one raving about him.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Thornley

I hated the wrestling on World of Sport - Mick McManus, Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks amongst others. There was one who seemed relatively handsome compared to many but can't recall his name.

I hated the briefs that people like McManus wore, hated the tent-like leotards of the others. Used to start about 4PM and finish just in time for the footie final score.

It just looked all so ludicrous to me. I am sure that I would have felt differently if there were some weight-training bunny girls in tight leotards doing all the groaning, moaning and jumping upon one another. Excuse me whilst I have a moment or two to reflect on this.

and there was a huge brute of a woman from bentilee way thats a rough estate in stoke,that was surpost to be big in the 70s,they claim if she walked into a pub there would be no trouble and the doorman could basicly stand down,no idea if its a stoke urban myth or not.

19 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's great.  Though I have only distant memories of Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks.

It would have been tears before bedtime if Big Daddy ever list and the promoters knew it.

I'm sure if I was a kid then I would have hugely enjoyed the American showbiz version with dressing up, lights, music and special effects.

Shirley was never going to lose. His brother was the MC.

I watched wrestling every Saturday when I was about 8. Don't think I liked it much except tag teams when it degenerated into a brawl. My gran was 5 foot nothing and quite mild normally but when wrestling came on she would scream at the TV about cmon ref he's cheating are you blind hit him again etc. Ah good times, then Doctor Who afterwards for a bit of hiding behind the sofa, or Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea when my mum would go all gaga about Captain Crane. 

Posted (edited)

Amazing to think that the wrestling contest between Jackie Pallo and Mick Mcmanus drew an estimated TV audience of 20 million in 1963. It even had a cultural influence on art with Peter Blake painting Kendo Nagasaki. Best thought of as a performing art rather than a sport.

Edited by Virgil Caine

Les Kelley was an old guy who would pretend to be dead when the ref called "break".

Adrian Street was as camp as a boy scouts jamboree and did ballet moves in the ring.

22 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Ha - didn't know that!

I was cycling up a hill near Dorking and this mini, after wheezing up the hill, pulled up alongside and asked for directions. The mini was extremely full of Big Daddy and his brother.

Like @JoeDavola I watched the same era, Ultimate Warrior and the Legion of Doom were a couple of my favourites etc. But thinking back they had some great characters, like The Million Dollar Man, The IRS and the Sheikh. Too many too list really. I cried when the Undertaker locked Ultimate Warrior in the casket, easy to fool an 8 year old xD.

I don't blame people for watching it still with the likes of the divas and storylines that involve Trump and McMahon. 

Posted (edited)

Fuck the WWF for making the WWF change their name to WWE! I will not rest until I see Pandas wrestling themselves into extinction! 

And don’t get me started on Russell Mania! That’s all my mate went on about in the 80’s but I could never understand what he was saying because of his accent.

Edited by OurDayWillCome