• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

TheBlueCat

Carnival of Destruction

Posted (edited)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6097491/Notting-Hill-Carnival-expect-one-million-revellers-organisers-gear-Caribbean-feast.html

As it’s mainly the kind of people who promote cultural enrichment for the plebs but who rarely come up against the consequences of it themselves who live in Notting Hell, I give zero fucks about this in general. But, fucking hell, you’d think that having to board up an entire area of one of the world’s largest cities and have the cops prep anti-acid kits would get some people questioning the whole thing!

Edited by TheBlueCat

Anyone on here ever been to it? I went once with a girlfriend about 25 years ago. It was ok during the day, but as it got dark, and if you were off the main drags, it felt a bit scary. I remember being the only white people in the crowd and guys trying to grab my friend. We left quickly.

There was a woman on LBC early this afternoon discussing the carnival. Everything bad was because of racism. Nobody discussed Harold Shipman because he was white. There are no black paedophiles etc. Why do they need ‘knife arches’ at the carnival? “Racism”. Why are there black gangs? “Racism”. Why are there no black male role models in the community? “Racism”.

26 minutes ago, Anglepoise said:

Anyone on here ever been to it? I went once with a girlfriend about 25 years ago. It was ok during the day, but as it got dark, and if you were off the main drags, it felt a bit scary. I remember being the only white people in the crowd and guys trying to grab my friend. We left quickly.

Went to it a few years ago but during day time only.  Ankle deep in rubbish and puke.  Could feel the tension building the later it got.  Left about 5pm. Read about the multiple stabbings a few days later.

I wouldn't recommend it.

36 minutes ago, Anglepoise said:

I went in 1987 and it was OK during the day - some quite good music, greasy fried food from street stalls etc - but it became rapidly very intimidating once it started to get dark. I seem to recall walking back to the part of South West London I lived in rather than take a chance with any of the nearby tube stations which were filled with wannabe yardies extracting money with menaces from anyone who looked like they might have some.

48 minutes ago, Anglepoise said:

I always fancied going back in the 90's but never got around to it. Maybe I should be making a post in the lucky escapes thread?

30 minutes ago, null; said:

I always fancied going back in the 90's but never got around to it. Maybe I should be making a post in the lucky escapes thread?

I think I've recounted on here before my story about inadvertently walking into the drum'n'bass club in Harlesden. I think the fact that I "braved it out" acted as a magical forcefield - if the spell of mutual incredulity had been broken at any stage then I would have been fucked.

Unless of course they were all just straight up nice folks....

6 minutes ago, eight said:

I think I've recounted on here before my story about inadvertently walking into the drum'n'bass club in Harlesden. I think the fact that I "braved it out" acted as a magical forcefield - if the spell of mutual incredulity had been broken at any stage then I would have been fucked.

Unless of course they were all just straight up nice folks....

They were probably in shock of your presence.

1 hour ago, Anglepoise said:

Went once, about a decade ago. Music blaring out at volumes that shook my bones.Whole streets boarded up. Massive crowds, it was tiring just pushing through the sea of people. My OH was also underwhelmed by it. She wasn't bothered by anyone, but we did leave way before sundown.

1 hour ago, Anglepoise said:

It's mental during the day but it's just like a crowded slightly edgy festival if that's your thing. It's not mine.

Come sundown you absolutely want to be elsewhere. A mate of mine used to police it a few years ago and said it was like The Purge at night. Lots of score settling and free for all assaults, sexual and otherwise. It's an absolute shitshow.

I asked my mate why they didn't just ban it or even stick a curfew on and he said, without hesitation, that large sections of London would be a smoking hole in the ground if they did. The whole thing is a hugely bent black market of drugs, knock-offs and Christ knows what else under the guise of a 'festival'. The 'community' has them over a barrel with the NHC.

Posted (edited)

I live in Peckham, love carnival. 

Because then place empties out one weekend a year and returns to the place I knew as a kid. I’m literally there now, pretty much dead.

Edited by gilf

I have no objections to it, as I don't go. For all I care they can have a huge acid spray-off.

It reduces the risk you'll be robbed tomorrow if you live in London and avoid that area. 

14 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I have no objections to it, as I don't go. For all I care they can have a huge acid spray-off.

It reduces the risk you'll be robbed tomorrow if you live in London and avoid that area. 

Only in London could someone be content spending two million quid on a house only to have to board it up and fuck off for the weekend while every scumbag badman in London is invited to ply their trade on the street outside and yardies shit on your doorstep.

3 hours ago, null; said:

Just go this year and if you survive (to report back) it will count (even more) as a lucky escape?

2 hours ago, montecristo said:

They were probably in shock of your presence.

These are well-practised experts, of course. (Or lucky idiots?) So don't go trying to show off (at your nearest safari park) without adequate HSE training and a decent fire-arm ....

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, whocares said:

These are well-practised experts, of course. (Or lucky idiots?) So don't go trying to show off (at your nearest safari park) without adequate HSE training and a decent fire-arm ....

I'd be very happy to have those three rural Africans as immigrants, but unfortunately, we are getting Africa's urban elites, although the latter are perfect for maintaining the Carnival tradition.

Having said that, the three Africans are better off staying where they are and living the Good Life.

Edited by Hopeful