• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Bossybabe

I'm sick of living in England

Just now, Bossybabe said:

Also, there are square sausages, rolls, rowies, marzipan cake, dead fly cake, Ayrshire bacon and plain bread.

I don't mean to insult anyone English on here.  I've even got my son and the dogs to come with me  - little persuasion needed.

What do you think?

What does your immediately family think about living in Scotland?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

What does your immediately family think about living in Scotland?

There's only my son and he's keen - he's an outdoorsy sort who loves walking the dogs in the rain.  My sister, brother-in-law and grown-up nieces live just over the water in Southampton.  Arguably, they could fly to Aberdeen quicker than visit me on the Island, and probably would be cheaper.  My mother lives with them.  In any case, oly one of my nieces has visited me here in the last three years.

Edited by Bossybabe

Posted (edited)

I am treading carefully, this isn't a decision made lightly.  But I don't yearn for the streets of my youth, I yearn for what I've always felt was my spiritual home sine age 9 - the north of Scotland.

I also need a new challenge.

Edited by Bossybabe

1 minute ago, dgul said:

Just a little caveat -- we all search for our lost youth.  Many move to the lands of their youth expecting to find their youth there, only to find that it's been long gone.  Typically it is then that they see the assets of the place they left (friends, family, familiarity).  Tread carefully.

Wise words indeed. You can never cross the same river twice.

That said....  what's to lose? How about you try an extended holiday or two "back home" before you burn bridges, just to be sure?

6 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

I'm Scottish born and educated, but left home at 18 to join the Royal Navy.  Married an Englishman an settled [eventually] on the Isle of Wight.

But after 50 years here, I can stand no more.  I'm actively looking for a de-crofted house with around 1 acre in the Highlands, where I"ll move to get away from:

• The overcrowding of South East England
  • Not being able to drive freely anywhere - traffic, traffic, traffic...
  • The arrogant, "I know better than the plebs" attitude of English politicians
  • English people who remark that I haven't lost my accent after all this time in England. [why would I want an English accent?  Would they want a Scottish one if positions were reversed?
  • Not being able to go anywhere on the mainland in summer because the return car ferry fare is around £93. Scots island ferries are subsidised by the government for residents.
  • Free personal care in Scotland for anyone overe 65 that is assessed as needing it.

This isn't all.  For the last ten years or so my heart has been yearning for home.  To be surrounded by my own culture, speaking my language is worth more than the better weather down here.

Also, there are square sausages, rolls, rowies, marzipan cake, dead fly cake, Ayrshire bacon and plain bread.

I don't mean to insult anyone English on here.  I've even got my son and the dogs to come with me  - little persuasion needed.

What do you think?

That worries me. The reason I want to move to the Isle of Wight is to get away from the first two points!

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

That worries me. The reason I want to move to the Isle of Wight is to get away from the first two points!

The Island isn't so overcrowded, or only the resorts in the summer holidays.  But I do have to visit the mainland, and it seems every time I go, the roads are more gridlocked - even the motorways - and not due to accidents - due to volume.

Also "just over the water from Southampton" - you live on the Isle of Wight?

I don't think you can complain about overcrowding in the SE from the IoW. xD

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

Better off heading somewhere like Dorset or Somerset. The couple of times I've been the Isle of Wight, except the far southwest bit which can only comprise a couple of square miles, has been packed to he gunwales.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Wise words indeed. You can never cross the same river twice.

That said....  what's to lose? How about you try an extended holiday or two "back home" before you burn bridges, just to be sure?

I have been trying out for some years now.  That's what has confirmed what I want.

3 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Have you had an acre of land before? I've got slightly more than that, it's a lot of work.

No - half an acre before - but we just want heathland or machair - nothing cultivable.

2 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Also "just over the water from Southampton" - you live on the Isle of Wight?

I don't think you can complain about overcrowding in the SE from the IoW. xD

Just try living on the Island and trying to drive to work in Reading - a 1 hour drive becomes 3. :CryBaby:  I live in Cowes - yachtsmen by the million at the moment.

Edited by Bossybabe

2 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Better off heading somewhere like Dorset or Somerset. The couple of times I've been the Isle of Wight, except the far southwest bit which can only comprise a couple of square miles, has been packed to he gunwales.

They were on the shortlist but oddly, transport to the island will be much easier for the elderly in laws. And being into sailing and diving, it is edging ahead as an option.

5 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

I have been trying out for some years now.  That's what has confirmed what I want.

No - half an acre before - but we just want heathland or machair - nothing cultivable.

Just try living on the Island and trying to drive to work in Reading - a 1 hour drive becomes 3. :CryBaby:

It might be the commute that's ruining it for you then. My commute is through some country lanes, and I never venture into town now. The only time I'm reminded of how congested the SE is, is when I have to use the M25 - which is rare. What are you going to do for a job in the Highlands?

PS: I can't say that I view Scottish politicians any better than English ones, in fact I think the SNP are diabolical. But then I am English.

6 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Strange, I felt Somerset to be even more congested than where I live (Kent). Just constant streams of traffic everywhere across the Levels, and that wasn't in holiday season either.

14 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:
  • The arrogant, "I know better than the plebs" attitude of English politicians

What do you think?

You think that's better in Scotland?!!! Otherwise, it sounds like you just want to live somewhere remote, so Scotland is a good fit. 

Sounds great tbh, go for it.  Also it will be a tremendous experience for your son.

If after a couple of years you change your mind then you can just move back again.  I know that's not the intention but you're not burning any bridges so if you think that you have made a terrible mistake then you can undo it.

I've done similar major life changes twice, in both cases because I felt I'd regret it for ever if I didn't.  One worked out; one didn't so I reversed that one.

One question: what does de-crofted mean?

4 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

It might be the commute that's ruining it for you then. My commute is through some country lanes, and I never venture into town now. The only time I'm reminded of how congested the SE is, is when I have to use the M25 - which is rare. What are you going to do for a job in the Highlands?

PS: I can't say that I view Scottish politicians any better than English ones, in fact I think the SNP are diabolical. But then I am English.

Strange, I felt Somerset to be even more congested than where I live (Kent). Just constant streams of traffic everywhere across the Levels, and that wasn't in holiday season either.

I'd agree on Kent Vs Somerset.  I don't know how Kent, being next to London, has managed to hang on to so many woodlands, empty space and quiet rurality but it has.

19 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

There's only my son and he's keen - he's an outdoorsy sort who loves walking the dogs in the rain.  My sister, brother-in-law and grown-up nieces live just over the water in Southampton.  Arguably, they could fly to Aberdeen quicker than visit me on the Island, and probably would be cheaper.  My mother lives with them.  In any case, oly one of my nieces has visited me here in the last three years.

Does your son work? 

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'd agree on Kent Vs Somerset.  I don't know how Kent, being next to London, has managed to hang on to so many woodlands, empty space and quiet rurality but it has.

It was at one point about 95% wooded, so in some respects it's lost more than most other places. These days East Sussex is a lot more bucolic, I am considering a move there in a few years once the sprawl becomes unbearable.

11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Sounds great tbh, go for it.  Also it will be a tremendous experience for your son.

If after a couple of years you change your mind then you can just move back again.  I know that's not the intention but you're not burning any bridges so if you think that you have made a terrible mistake then you can undo it.

I've done similar major life changes twice, in both cases because I felt I'd regret it for ever if I didn't.  One worked out; one didn't so I reversed that one.

One question: what does de-crofted mean?

It means the land was licensed as a Croft previously and has been removed as a crofting tenancy. 

10 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

Does your son work? 

Yes. Security. He’s currently guarding a local castle and estate. Seems to be some work to keep him going up there.