• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Happyhaddock

Weird goings on!

Posted (edited)

You could say the same about most opening ceremonies.

The anti-christ is meant to be a human being so I dont see why you would need to tunnel under the Alps to awaken him.

Edited by Virgil Caine

I watched enough Eurotrash to find absolutely nothing, no matter how weird, that comes out of the continent surprising. The strangest thing is that, as far as I can tell, that YouTube is actually serious. I assumed it was one big joke until I clicked through some of the other videos.

I can understand heads of state from France, Germany, Italy and perhaps Austria being there since it is an improvement in freight links between those countries. That doesn't negate the seriously fucked up nature of the ceremony though.

See also London Olympics opening ceremony etc. Oh, but it's just 'art', so no need to think too deeply on all the dark symbolism.

Posted (edited)

It all looks a bit like the Fastnacht celebrations which take place in Switzerland, Southern Germany and the Alsace regions (and also Vorarlberg in Austria). Similar to Fasching which is a Rhineland thing (Köln and Düsseldorf, but now spread all over as Oktoberfest has)

Associated with Lent, I believe its a celebration of the end of winter and an occasion for driving out evil spirits.

If you ever find yourself in Basel around that time, its an experience not to be missed!

So I dont think theres any call for alarm. I can see that having completed an ambitious tunnel project, you might want to hold a ceromony to drive out any evil spirits; just a display of European culture which is a bit different to our own.

Edited by Mirror Mirror
tpying

Posted (edited)

What happened to doing simple ribbon cutting ceremonies?

I guess they had a large budget of other people’s money to waste.

Edited by Bkkandrew
Typo