• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Foreign powers revealed to be using social media to subvert UK democracy - BREXIT, Corbyn, Scottish Independence.

9 minutes ago, snaga said:

and Iran's closest ally? Russia

Not so sure about that. I would see Qatar as their closest ally and Turkey would be in there somewhere. Russia and Iran have a strange, and often strained, relationship going back centuries due to geography. Uncomfortable bed-fellows I would say but I get your point.

Just idiocy from Facebook. They are just shutting down pages and sites that don't agree with the mainstream narrative. This site will be next, presumably.

It's just 1984 censorship - or at least the very early stages of it.

Just now, Errol said:

Just idiocy from Facebook. They are just shutting down pages and sites that don't agree with the mainstream narrative. This site will be next, presumably.

It's just 1984 censorship - or at least the very early stages of it.

That is not what has happened here - quite the oppposite.

Posted (edited)

It's still just censorship. Say if I want to run my site from Iran and post stuff about Brexit. Why not? There is no such thing as 'inauthentic' behaviour. There is just freedom of speech - which includes the right to say things which are inauthentic.

Or will facebook also ban all US sites from commenting on Uk politics? Obama interfered in the Brexit vote - why has he not been accused of meddling in democracy?

It's all the thin end of the wedge. Next thing you know they will be cracking down on sites like dosbods, because there are people who persistently take non-narrative positions.

Edited by Errol

11 minutes ago, Errol said:

It's still just censorship. Say if I want to run my site from Iran and post stuff about Brexit. Why not? There is no such thing as 'inauthentic' behaviour. There is just freedom of speech - which includes the right to say things which are inauthentic.

Or will facebook also ban all US sites from commenting on Uk politics? Obama interfered in the Brexit vote - why has he not been accused of meddling in democracy?

It's all the thin end of the wedge. Next thing you know they will be cracking down on sites like dosbods, because there are people who persistently take non-narrative positions.

I am going to disagree with you here.

If these Facebook pages and accounts were openly admitting to be Iranian then it would indeed be censorship in shutting down their views on all of the above. But the closing of these by Facebook is because they gave the impression of originating within the UK being run/posted by British people when they clearly were not.

The Iranian government was clearly using them to promote views or people who, arguably, are not in the best interests of the UK nor of the British people.

Hence the 'inauthentic' statement by Facebook.

23 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

The Iranian government was clearly using them to promote views or people who, arguably, are not in the best interests of the UK nor of the British people.

Hence the 'inauthentic' statement by Facebook.

They could provide information and warnings about pages to let people make their own minds up e.g. highlight when a page is accessed mostly from a foreign IP or whatever. I see handing control of the flow of information to the likes of Facebook (or pretty much anyone for that matter) much more dangerous than any propaganda campaign that someone might engage in. 

4 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

They could provide information and warnings about pages to let people make their own minds up e.g. highlight when a page is accessed mostly from a foreign IP or whatever. I see handing control of the flow of information to the likes of Facebook (or pretty much anyone for that matter) much more dangerous than any propaganda campaign that someone might engage in. 

It is not one or the other. It is both.

But then we have the likes of the So-Called BBC here in the UK to whom is handed the flow of information.

5 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

They could use the same reason to kill a Brexit page just by labelling the author "far right".... and they will.

I am sure I read recently that the Daily Mail has been sold to Gulf Arabs. Hasn't their editor also recently changed? Will be interesting to see if there is a different direction in their output.

Also, I wonder how popular the newer online contenders like Breitbart are? They certainly seem to be one of the few media outlets who report a lot of things that conveniently slip under the radar of the mainstream media.

2 minutes ago, Game_of_Homes said:

I am sure I read recently that the Daily Mail has been sold to Gulf Arabs. Hasn't their editor also recently changed? Will be interesting to see if there is a different direction in their output.

Also, I wonder how popular the newer online contenders like Breitbart are? They certainly seem to be one of the few media outlets who report a lot of things that conveniently slip under the radar of the mainstream media.

Already happened. See Tommy Robinson thread.

Ha!

@JackieO beat me by a few seconds...

4 minutes ago, JackieO said:

Haave read the Mail in the last couple of weeks?

McCains a hero and Tommy Robinson a violent thug.

It's happened already.

3 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

Already happened. See Tommy Robinson thread.

Where the hell are we going to go for our news items?  It seemed to be the only paper to be even attempting to swim against the tide. 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Where the hell are we going to go for our news items?  It seemed to be the only paper to be even attempting to swim against the tide. 

They have bought everything.

Given the rolling coverage Arron Banks, Russia, Leave.EU get off the back of any half rumour - if I switch BBC news on right now this would be receiving wall to wall coverage...... right?

At some point there is going to have to be a discussion about foreign ownership and national interest.

This is what happens when the few have all the assets and government is quite happy to have the country asset-stripped for a few quid - even strategic assets. File under multi-cultural.

Some foreign influence is benign, some downright incidious and dangerous.

It is a shame about the FREE internet, quite clear tptb are out to reign it in and stifle its range of content and opinion.

Who controls Facebook?

Who controls YouTube and Google?

Who controls Brietbart?

Who controls (most of) the MSM? 

Who do you really think is pushing their bullshit narratives on us, and others round the world??

Posted (edited)

Well, it’s not the Jews Carl. Be sure of that. For evidence, please see the post I will make shortly on the Rohingya thread about interference in Myanmar, which has about as many Jews hanging about as Mars.

Edited by Bkkandrew
Specifying where I will post

1 minute ago, Bkkandrew said:

Well, it’s not the Jews Carl. Be sure of that. For evidence, please see the post I will make shortly about interference in Myanmar, which has about as many Jews hanging about as Mars.

Ok, so 

Who controls Facebook?
Who controls Brietbart? 

2 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Ok, so 

Who controls Facebook?
Who controls Brietbart? 

If you could do me a favour and tell me, as I have quite a big dinner to go to whereupon I will get pissed and my next meaningful post is not likely until the morning.

Genuine question. Because all I see is Saudi, Qatari and UAE money buying up things.

Just now, Bkkandrew said:

If you could do me a favour and tell me, as I have quite a big dinner to go to whereupon I will get pissed and my next meaningful post is not likely until the morning.

Genuine question. Because all I see is Saudi, Qatari and UAE money buying up things.

I can't say whether this is accurate or not but if it is, it's rather telling.

PPhcg.jpg

16 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Ok, so 

Who controls Facebook?
Who controls Brietbart? 

Dave