• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Frank Hovis

Instant campervan - £500 or less

I don't wish to steal @Turned Out Nice Again 's thunder on this but came across these pages.  It works for several types but buy a Berlingo or Peugeot Partner or a couple of other vans; take out the back seats and then either put plastic storage containers to act as bed (with inflatable mattress) and storage

http://campfiremag.co.uk/mini-campervan/

or buy an off the shelf number to out in which doubles as seat and table in the day and bed at night; I can't offhand find yesterday's link for this but it was only £350 IIRC and looked excellent.

I think I've just decided upon my next car!

Here's the prefab stuff; and the other suitable MPVs:

Since we started SPACE in 2015, our range has expanded to include other vehicles and for just £399 our camper van conversion module will evolve your Citroen Berlingo, Peugeot Partner, Fiat Doblo or Renault Kangoo into a functional camper van, giving you the freedom to explore your world and experience adventure on your terms. We love our product and we hope that you will too.

Berlingo-Partner-Doblo-Kangoo-camper-van

https://www.spacecampervans.com

£200 plus £150 if you want the cushions if I'm reading it right.  Bargain!

(plenty of others available but this looked excellent IMO)

25 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Here's the prefab stuff; and the other suitable MPVs:

Since we started SPACE in 2015, our range has expanded to include other vehicles and for just £399 our camper van conversion module will evolve your Citroen Berlingo, Peugeot Partner, Fiat Doblo or Renault Kangoo into a functional camper van, giving you the freedom to explore your world and experience adventure on your terms. We love our product and we hope that you will too.

Berlingo-Partner-Doblo-Kangoo-camper-van

https://www.spacecampervans.com

£200 plus £150 if you want the cushions if I'm reading it right.  Bargain!

(plenty of others available but this looked excellent IMO)

With the tailgate on the Berlingo/Partner raised you could also add a fabric awning that fits over/round to extend the usable area as well.

Even more of a bargain.

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

With the tailgate on the Berlingo/Partner raised you could also add a fabric awning that fits over/round to extend the usable area as well.

Even more of a bargain.

I think the first link shows this and there's a video of a Berlingo "house"; I really need to be on a desktop to look at it properly.

I want my current car to run another four years (fingers crossed) and then I'll get one of the four listed upthread as they're primarily a car but then easily convert into this overnight sleeping facility.  It was going to be a Dacia Duster but that has just been superseded.

Posted (edited)

@Frank Hovis I've gone the tent route for my wild camping and  with minimal capital outlay initially and then to make the leap/upgrade suggested here seems like a no brainer... already thinking ahead and realise a vehicle that lends itself to going off-grid will be essential and the neat package offered by a Berlingo fits the bill. I'll take stock in March/April. 

Edited by longtomsilver

2 hours ago, SNACR said:

I know that you are good at this sort of thing SNACR but if I did it would look like giant rats had been gnawing at it.

I'm happy to pay that price for the qaulity of the finish.

7 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

@Frank Hovis I've gone the tent route for my wild camping and  with minimal capital outlay initially and then to make the leap/upgrade suggested here seems like a no brainer... already thinking ahead and realise a vehicle that lends itself to going off-grid will be essential and the neat package offered by a Berlingo fits the bill. I'll take stock in March/April. 

Have a look at the others too.  Owing to its all-round windows the Berlingo is hardly a stealth camper.  The Peugeout Partner is the same shape but a van.  I think the Renault Kangoo is like the Berlingo and the Fiat Doble like the Partner.

As a reflex response I'd avoid anything Renault or Renault DNA.

It looks like the demand for these type of things as campers is pushing up prices they reference it as a sales tactic in this ebay listing for a 200,000 mile likely old taxi they're dreaming of £1800 for - or perhaps they're not. So are there really loads of people sleeping in these things, where are they taking them? Is it just a bit of a dream thing that never sees much use I wonder?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Doblo-1-4-8v-Dynamic-2008/223119890665?hash=item33f2fb58e9:g:P5cAAOSw4ZxbXCjp

Looks like it's a thing in the US too. This is well designed but the total price installed is $6k. It has got a deceptively large amount of work in its construction despite the plain finish, you could produce something that looked nearly the same with equivalent amenity for a fraction of the price with laminated MDF and edge trim.

It works for me as something that is primarily a car, which will be 95% of its usage, but if I want to do a decent walk some distance away it allows me to kip in it the night before or after at the right location without faffing around with hotels.

As that's all the use I want then this kind of basic removable bed in a van is ideal for half a dozen or less individual nights in a year.

If I really got into it then maybe I'd buy a proper camper but it always seemed OTT and hard work to manoeuvre for the limited usage that I was intending.

Posted (edited)
On 27/08/2018 at 11:44, Frank Hovis said:

I don't wish to steal @Turned Out Nice Again 's thunder on this but came across these pages.  It works for several types but buy a Berlingo or Peugeot Partner or a couple of other vans; take out the back seats and then either put plastic storage containers to act as bed (with inflatable mattress) and storage

http://campfiremag.co.uk/mini-campervan/

or buy an off the shelf number to out in which doubles as seat and table in the day and bed at night; I can't offhand find yesterday's link for this but it was only £350 IIRC and looked excellent.

I think I've just decided upon my next car!

They should do the Dacia Lodgy, which I think (not 100% sure) is bigger. Ever since that minging ugly monstrosity came out I've fancied doing a surfing trip in one as it's long enough for a biggish chap like me to to sleep in and put surfboards in, or on the roof, plus there is a model with a super-economic Renault diesel engine.

image.jpeg.f5650377945483d2e13c9d7131ace0f4.jpeg

EDIT :- Oops didn't realise the Lodgy isn't sold in the UK. Can get a new 7 seater here for 18k CHF!

Edited by swiss_democracy_for_all

I would be interested in seeing other peoples opinions as to alternatives for a base car, I'd considered the grand Espace but it looks a bit heavy on fuel and it's a Renault. Are there any other 7-8 seaters that would do better? it's a style of car that seems to have gone out of fashion and been replaced with Duster-alikes.

5 hours ago, Kilham said:

I would be interested in seeing other peoples opinions as to alternatives for a base car, I'd considered the grand Espace but it looks a bit heavy on fuel and it's a Renault. Are there any other 7-8 seaters that would do better? it's a style of car that seems to have gone out of fashion and been replaced with Duster-alikes.

VW Caddy is an another option, quite a few conversions of all sorts including permanent done already.

15 hours ago, SNACR said:

As a reflex response I'd avoid anything Renault or Renault DNA.

Ditto that.

I tried a Renault thinking they cannot be as bad as people say but I underestimated the problem! I've just opened up an old wound thinking about the £839 steering column, that came a couple of months after the £400 suspension problem. It was only 5 years old. Never again. Never means never.

these van tune ups are great but i need to know one point,if your pissed in your car even on a pub car park you can be banned now.at one time you could not be done for being drunk in a car on private ground in a car ie pub car park.i regualy slept drunk in my talbot alpine.im presuming if your in a real camper van you cant be arrested for drunk in charge how would you fair in a transit van with an inflatable bed in it 

10 hours ago, stokiescum said:

these van tune ups are great but i need to know one point,if your pissed in your car even on a pub car park you can be banned now.at one time you could not be done for being drunk in a car on private ground in a car ie pub car park.i regualy slept drunk in my talbot alpine.im presuming if your in a real camper van you cant be arrested for drunk in charge how would you fair in a transit van with an inflatable bed in it 

7 hours ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

I wouldn't be opening the door to the rozzers.  Specially if I were under the influence.

The rule is that you have to have clearly demonstrated that you have no intention of driving the car whilst over the drink limit.

If you are asleep in the front seat with the keys in your pocket: busted. 

The suggestion if you find yourself in this situation was to put the key in the boot or under a tyre then you had shown that you had no immediate intention to drive the car so wouldn't be done.

If you are asleep and partially undressed on a bed in the back then you are fine as it shows you intend to sleep through the night rather than having a quick doze.

55 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The rule is that you have to have clearly demonstrated that you have no intention of driving the car whilst over the drink limit.

If you are asleep in the front seat with the keys in your pocket: busted. 

The suggestion if you find yourself in this situation was to put the key in the boot or under a tyre then you had shown that you had no immediate intention to drive the car so wouldn't be done.

If you are asleep and partially undressed on a bed in the back then you are fine as it shows you intend to sleep through the night rather than having a quick doze.

That's a very grey area Frank, it probably depends on the cop knocking the window.  I have read lots of cases of people getting done for drink driving while sleeping in the back seat of their car.

Just now, montecristo said:

That's a very grey area Frank, it probably depends on the cop knocking the window.  I have read lots of cases of people getting done for drink driving while sleeping in the back seat of their car.

That's not inconsistent with what I said.  Tbh I assumed that if you weren't driving it wasn't an issue but then there was the Kris Marshall story (below) parked up asleep and on private land and it's about being in charge of a vehicle.  The advice at the time was to separate the key from yourself, put it in the boot or under a tyre, as this shows that you, whilst in the car, were not in charge of it.  If you have the key in your pocket or the ignition as he did then you will be taken to be in charge of it whether you're in the front or back seat.  If you're undressed, in a sleeping bag, and asleep on a bed in the back of a Berlingo then I don't see how they can claim that you are in charge of a vehicle.

A bloke on my football forum said he'd been done for drink driving for being alseep in his van in a pub car park on Friday afternoon; he had the key in his pocket.

Comedy actor Kris Marshall has been banned from driving for six months after he admitted dodging a breath test.

Police found the 38-year-old asleep in his Jaguar in a Tesco car park near his home following a night out drinking.

He was arrested on suspicion of being drunk in charge of a vehicle after police spotted a key in the car's ignition.

'He felt he had made a responsible decision in not driving while over the limit. He made a decision to sleep in the vehicle.

'Many members of the public do not understand the charge of being drunk in charge of a vehicle.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2059879/BT-advert-actor-Kris-Marshall-banned-driving-6-months.html

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's not inconsistent with what I said.  Tbh I assumed that if you weren't driving it wasn't an issue but then there was the Kris Marshall story (below) parked up asleep and on private land and it's about being in charge of a vehicle.  The advice at the time was to separate the key from yourself, put it in the boot or under a tyre, as this shows that you, whilst in the car, were not in charge of it.  If you have the key in your pocket or the ignition as he did then you will be taken to be in charge of it whether you're in the front or back seat.  If you're undressed, in a sleeping bag, and asleep on a bed in the back of a Berlingo then I don't see how they can claim that you are in charge of a vehicle.

A bloke on my football forum said he'd been done for drink driving for being alseep in his van in a pub car park on Friday afternoon; he had the key in his pocket.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2059879/BT-advert-actor-Kris-Marshall-banned-driving-6-months.html

agreed but get the wrong cop they could push the "how did you access the vehicle with no key.  You must have hid it" line.  

Edited by montecristo

Just now, montecristo said:

agreed but get the wrong cop they could push the "how did you access the vehicle with no key.  You must have hid it" line.  

The argument wasn't that you didn't have the key but that you had taken a deliberate step to put the key out of your immediate reach in order to demonstrate that you were intending to have a long sleep and weren't immediately intending to drive off.  Which does work to my mind: if you're just going to have a doze and go then why would you go the palaver of putting the key in the boot or under a tyre only to have to retireve it again?

You show the police where you have put the key in order to demonstrate that you weren't actively in charge of the vehicle.

It would be an even stronger argument if you put it some distance from the vehicle but the advice that it was out of your immediate reach was sufficient as it showed that you had deliberately put the vehicle out of your charge; albeit temporarily.

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The argument wasn't that you didn't have the key but that you had taken a deliberate step to put the key out of your immediate reach in order to demonstrate that you were intending to have a long sleep and weren't immediately intending to drive off.  Which does work to my mind: if you're just going to have a doze and go then why would you go the palaver of putting the key in the boot or under a tyre only to have to retireve it again?

You show the police where you have put the key in order to demonstrate that you weren't actively in charge of the vehicle.

It would be an even stronger argument if you put it some distance from the vehicle but the advice that it was out of your immediate reach was sufficient as it showed that you had deliberately put the vehicle out of your charge; albeit temporarily.

In this scenario the police may have it in their head what if you decided to drive a few hours later still over the limit and killed someone.  Imagine the outcry if it was discovered that the police had questioned you knowing you were over the limit but let you go.   Such a grey area.

5 minutes ago, montecristo said:

In this scenario the police may have it in their head what if you decided to drive a few hours later still over the limit and killed someone.  Imagine the outcry if it was discovered that the police had questioned you knowing you were over the limit but let you go.   Such a grey area.

Yep.

It's not actually something I would do anyway; if I'm going drinking I want a proper bed at the end of it.  It's very rare that I drink any alcohol at lunchtime anyway because I don't want its slowing / tiring effect in the afternoon, probably just Christmas Day the last few years.