DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Estate Agents

Great Guy

Is it just me or do Estate Agents always give the impression of being dishonest?

Two weeks ago (14th August) I went to see a flat for sale. I liked it and asked my parents to go for a second opinion, they went last week (21st) and liked it as well. However the survey wasn't online and I wanted to see that before I made an offer. I asked the estate agent for the survey and they said it was up to the surveyor.. The survey eventually goes online on Friday afternoon... It was dated July....

I phoned the estate agent this morning to make an offer only to be told another offer has been accepted.

If I was a suspicious man I'd feel something fishy has been going on.

Long time lurking
5 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Is it just me or do Estate Agents always give the impression of being dishonest?

Two weeks ago (14th August) I went to see a flat for sale. I liked it and asked my parents to go for a second opinion, they went last week (21st) and liked it as well. However the survey wasn't online and I wanted to see that before I made an offer. I asked the estate agent for the survey and they said it was up to the surveyor.. The survey eventually goes online on Friday afternoon... It was dated July....

I phoned the estate agent this morning to make an offer only to be told another offer has been accepted.

Nope .and yes they are dishonest,i have seen house pop up in my right move /zoopla notifications which are marked up sold literally as they appear ,most are probate places which are generally  way below market price....ideal flipping fodder for someone that knows a friendly EA  if you catch my drift   

Horrified Onlooker

@Great Guy

The majority of posters on this site came from the forum of a site called HousePriceCrash (ToS). Exactly what sort of response were you expecting when you asked the hive mind their opinion of EA’s?

#trollingforreputationorsomesuchshit

24 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

@Great Guy

The majority of posters on this site came from the forum of a site called HousePriceCrash (ToS). Exactly what sort of response were you expecting when you asked the hive mind their opinion of EA’s?

#trollingforreputationorsomesuchshit

Yeah...

How many people here own a house of have dealt with Estate Agents though? I bet over half..... Having a thread about my dealings with Estate Agents is hardly "trolling" IMHO....

Did you ever wonder why you always lose a seal bid auction on that fixer upper offer at a good price by 2,500. 

Eas need to have an auction of bids to convince the seller of a probate its not going to their mates. Invariably you never win as it always goes to their mates anyway.

assetrichcashpoor

We’re currently on the market with purple bricks. We’ve had two letters through the door since we’ve had the board outside from other agents offering us a reduction in commission equal to what we paid purple bricks. One of them even claimed he’d just registered someone who would be interested in our house. I’m fairly sure buyers aren’t tied into agents like sellers are and if they’re interested they’ll come and see it.

3 hours ago, Great Guy said:

What new people do you come into contact and/or work with that are honest?  

Pretty much everyone i meet is a sly cunt i'd trust as far as i could kick. EA's are no different to the rest of society, just making a living and fucking over whoever they can to get ahead ... its the British way.

13 hours ago, Great Guy said:

Are you a bit slow?

They are idiots.

Family member has had house valued. 320k apparently. Shell now be trying to get tgat till she goes bust or dies.

How did the EA come to that?

Dint know.

If aftwr nit selling, will EA buy the house for that figure? You know, get some skin in tgegame?

No.

How many nearby houses have sokd for more tgan 300k in last 10 years?

5 - i looked on kand registry.

These were big nice houses.

Family member does not have mains water. Its a hovel.

I related an tale on ToS. Bloke thought his house was 500k. Not even bithered to get EA round. Just came up wuth a random fugure, then went to look at other house to buy. Expected someone to walk in off street and buy his house, no advertising.

EAs stopped putting hus offees in - You need to get your house on the market. Virtually Asbod him from offices.

Thus was almist 10 years ago.

He died 18 months ago.

Wifes still trying to sell. Shes got a buyer. They are waiting for their house to sell for equally stupid price.

Theyll all die before either house sells.

10 hours ago, lid said:

using doorsteps myself, £199 to sell a house, can't grumble

it'll be nice to see the high street gel heads go to the wall

The cost of overvalueing houses that then sit, unsold for ever is massive.

In fact, that fuck headed ness has destroyed tge bricksnmortar 2% commission business.

Well, they say, Giles saud i could get xxx fir it. Ive had no viweres round. Im going to switch to whoeveronline. Im not paying 8k to those useless cunts.

More transaction volume fall, EAs in less chains, so even less revenue.

They are fucked.

Good.

11 hours ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

We’re currently on the market with purple bricks. We’ve had two letters through the door since we’ve had the board outside from other agents offering us a reduction in commission equal to what we paid purple bricks. One of them even claimed he’d just registered someone who would be interested in our house. I’m fairly sure buyers aren’t tied into agents like sellers are and if they’re interested they’ll come and see it.

How?

Isnt purple bricks fixed price?

We remortgaged. On 12mobth anniversary we gota targeted flyerfor EA mortgage broker telling wed save money remortgaing with them.

Simpke thing - electoral roll, land reg data, get addreses n names.

Total wank.

Mortgage is 5 year fix at 1.4% no fees, over pay. Half the mortgage  sum owed will be gone in next 6 months.

Ill pay rest over 6 years at 400/m

Anecdotal you may enjoy.

I moved with my job and bought a house nearby, my old house was then put up for sale through a "reputable" EA. As I lived far away there were were to be no unaccompanied viewings.

Eventually they advised me of an offer £5k under asking which I accepted on the grounds that I just wanted rid of the place. They suggested that contracts be exchanged by fax as I was so far away which made me suspicious.

Two days before completion they reduced that offer by £2k as "it needs the wall ties doing" (that would be "doing again" as I'd had them done two years earlier)

So, without telling them I flew up that night and went to the house, it was a wreck, kitchen units pulled from the walls, carpets ripped up, paint marks on every wall (to show the decorators the colours apparently). I asked my nosey neighbour what had been happening, apparently a woman had been turning up with keys and taking tradesmen into the house in preparation for her moving in. He gave me dates, times and car registrations (told you he was nosey).

The morning of the sale before the contracts were exchanged I was at the house when this woman walked in and started screaming when she saw me there in "her house"

I advised her that is wasn't and probably never would be her house as i was cancelling the deal, reporting her and the EA to the police and suing them both for damages then threw her out.

Two minutes later the EA was on the phone begging forgiveness which I said I would do for original asking price +£2k and no agents fees, you have 10 minutes to decide before I call the police and my solicitor.

Called me back 8 minutes later and agreed.

Result :D

51 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Are you a bit slow?

They are idiots.

Family member has had house valued. 320k apparently. Shell now be trying to get tgat till she goes bust or dies.

How did the EA come to that?

Dint know.

If aftwr nit selling, will EA buy the house for that figure? You know, get some skin in tgegame?

No.

How many nearby houses have sokd for more tgan 300k in last 10 years?

5 - i looked on kand registry.

These were big nice houses.

Family member does not have mains water. Its a hovel.

I related an tale on ToS. Bloke thought his house was 500k. Not even bithered to get EA round. Just came up wuth a random fugure, then went to look at other house to buy. Expected someone to walk in off street and buy his house, no advertising.

EAs stopped putting hus offees in - You need to get your house on the market. Virtually Asbod him from offices.

Thus was almist 10 years ago.

He died 18 months ago.

Wifes still trying to sell. Shes got a buyer. They are waiting for their house to sell for equally stupid price.

Theyll all die before either house sells.

Henderson or Austin?

jacksons are actually quite honest imho and price realistically 

1 hour ago, Option5 said:

Anecdotal you may enjoy.

I moved with my job and bought a house nearby, my old house was then put up for sale through a "reputable" EA. As I lived far away there were were to be no unaccompanied viewings.

Eventually they advised me of an offer £5k under asking which I accepted on the grounds that I just wanted rid of the place. They suggested that contracts be exchanged by fax as I was so far away which made me suspicious.

Two days before completion they reduced that offer by £2k as "it needs the wall ties doing" (that would be "doing again" as I'd had them done two years earlier)

So, without telling them I flew up that night and went to the house, it was a wreck, kitchen units pulled from the walls, carpets ripped up, paint marks on every wall (to show the decorators the colours apparently). I asked my nosey neighbour what had been happening, apparently a woman had been turning up with keys and taking tradesmen into the house in preparation for her moving in. He gave me dates, times and car registrations (told you he was nosey).

The morning of the sale before the contracts were exchanged I was at the house when this woman walked in and started screaming when she saw me there in "her house"

I advised her that is wasn't and probably never would be her house as i was cancelling the deal, reporting her and the EA to the police and suing them both for damages then threw her out.

Two minutes later the EA was on the phone begging forgiveness which I said I would do for original asking price +£2k and no agents fees, you have 10 minutes to decide before I call the police and my solicitor.

Called me back 8 minutes later and agreed.

Result :D

Fully enjoyed that story, cheers.

assetrichcashpoor
1 hour ago, spygirl said:

How?

Isnt purple bricks fixed price?

We remortgaged. On 12mobth anniversary we gota targeted flyerfor EA mortgage broker telling wed save money remortgaing with them.

Simpke thing - electoral roll, land reg data, get addreses n names.

Total wank.

Mortgage is 5 year fix at 1.4% no fees, over pay. Half the mortgage  sum owed will be gone in next 6 months.

Ill pay rest over 6 years at 400/m

We paid purple bricks £1149 for the advert and accompanied viewings. The competitors are offering us £1149 off their normal fee if we go with them. Their fees will be approximately £6000 so if we sell through the competitor we’d pay them £4851 instead of the normal £6000.

I’m fairly confident we could have haggled a similar reduction if we’d decided to go with a traditional agent in the first place. 

Do estate agents try to poach houses off other agents normally or is this new? 

In in our case they don’t have our name, both letters are addressed to the occupier. 

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Henderson or Austin?

jacksons are actually quite honest imho and price realistically 

Neither. West yorkshire.

Hendersons will be bust soon. No money. Owner too young to nkt draw a salary.

Astins will go bust. I posted about position held by maninpub distressed business investor

21 minutes ago, assetrichcashpoor said:

We paid purple bricks £1149 for the advert and accompanied viewings. The competitors are offering us £1149 off their normal fee if we go with them. Their fees will be approximately £6000 so if we sell through the competitor we’d pay them £4851 instead of the normal £6000.

I’m fairly confident we could have haggled a similar reduction if we’d decided to go with a traditional agent in the first place. 

Do estate agents try to poach houses off other agents normally or is this new? 

In in our case they don’t have our name, both letters are addressed to the occupier. 

Yes.

They are aware tgat typucal contract is 6 months.

Aware of new houses coming for sale, so recird date and post letter thru in 5 months time - Giles shitcords not sold your house? Hes shit. Well offer discount to come to us.

EAs dont sell houses. Rather they let buyers buy them.

Sadly, with mmr they need to ve looking at average earnings for under 50s and multiplying by 5 tops.

No point looking at price history. Houses will not transact at those levels now.

assetrichcashpoor

A former colleague bought a repossessed house from an estate agent. Similar to the anecdote above my colleague managed to get a key from the agent and started measuring up/began work on the house well before the sale had gone through. He was in the house when some other prospective buyers came round he told them the house was off the market and managed to fuck them off. During this time period some youths vandalised the house smashing some windows. My colleague tried to get the agent to have them replaced, the agent told there wasn’t a chance and reminded him he had got a huge discount and to stop taking the piss. After he bought the house he put in a fake insurance claim for the windows, saying it had just happened rather than happening several weeks before when the house was uninsured. 

My colleague did get his comeuppance in the end. He took so long renovating the place and spent a fortune that he lost all of his illicit gains. 

16 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Neither. West yorkshire.

Hendersons will be bust soon. No money. Owner too young to nkt draw a salary.

Astins will go bust. I posted about position held by maninpub distressed business investor

He also looks the type that likes to impress. Staff running round in badged minis (how original). So guess he drives a fancy car and a mortgaged house up Carr hill. He also employs his mum who is a nasty, snobby piece of works. 

• 3 months later...

Bump! 

I got home from work yesterday to find a calling card on my hall carpet. It was from William H Brown Estate agents (sequence home). It had the name of a negotiator and 'PLEASE CALL ME' scribbled on it. 

It must be an extremely quiet week for EAs as it's almost Christmas. Perhaps even quieter than normal with all this uncertainty going on. I was more amused that they bothered to get into my secure council block to deliver the card where most of the flats are rented out. xD

So this agent who has been bothering me to view this new great house for weeks they have on the market has finally gone quiet. Not heard a peep for a week. I drove past the house today, sale agreed. Maybe the last fool has bought before the final crash.

On 29/08/2018 at 07:56, spygirl said:

Are you a bit slow? They are idiots.

Family member has had house valued. 320k apparently. Shell now be trying to get that till she goes bust or dies.

O.o It's still happening. I went to look at a 3-bed place last week. Last sale in the street was just a couple of months ago but listed as 2-bed. Idiot estate agents have valued the 3-bed a lot higher ( 3 bed has to be worth more than 2 bed? Yes?)

I pointed out they were the same layout but one had a dining table in it's own room (2 bed + dining room), the other had an extra bed (3 bed). Seller is refusing to drop the price as the estate agent has got her hopes up for a quick sale at full asking price.
I'm the only person who has offered in the 3 months since it got marketed, other properties in the same area are selling in less than a week...

Archived