• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

SNACR

Banning stuff

Sounds like energy drinks are being banned to kids.

Now I doubt it's a bad thing and they're not something I'd buy except for a possible one off when I was tired or hadn't got much sleep . However, there seems to be a bit too much of a fondness for banning things with this government.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It seems like more easy distraction to me; saves doing anything difficult.

Mrs May, please tell us all the achievements of your Prime Ministership.

Well I banned single use plastic straws, I raised the price of disposable plastic bags to 10p, and I banned energy drinks for children.

I however made a total Horlicks of Brexit and failed to address out of control immigration or the collapse of the criminal justice system and prisons. But you can't do everything at once and I feel that we have dealt with all of the most pressing issues of the day.

To be fair the useless cow is in an impossible position, The House of Commons, all parties, is ungovernable on the subject of Europe. The only easily managed situations would have been either an utterly shameless move straight to EEA membership ie no Brexit at all or a hard Brexiteer PM with a big majority in both their own party and the Commons (and even then the disgusting Lords would have made life difficult)

Posted (edited)

Again we blame the children.  Like usual, the problem is children emulating adults -- if you want to change their behaviour change adults' behaviour.  If you ban something you just make it 'an adult thing', and make the kids want to add it to their behaviour as they turn 18.

Edited by dgul

So they're going to ban sugar and we're not supposed to eat fat. Meat and animal products are right out due to global climate catastophy and animals having feelings.

We're basically left with a diet of water and fresh air. The government is literally advocating for a breatharian lifestyle (look it up). Obviously our elites will continue their diet of virgin sacrificial human blood and entrails.

The sad fact is that these sorts of initiatives are popular.

People, broadly, don't want to take responsibility for anything..  especially themselves.  They want the state to look after them,  control what they eat, control what they do and raise their kids for them.

Other than a smallish minority,  people want a nanny state.

40 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

So they're going to ban sugar and we're not supposed to eat fat. Meat and animal products are right out due to global climate catastophy and animals having feelings.

We're basically left with a diet of water and fresh air. The government is literally advocating for a breatharian lifestyle (look it up). Obviously our elites will continue their diet of virgin sacrificial human blood and entrails.

You'd think if that were the case the EU/UK government would remove all subsidies for the meat and animal industries rather than lavish them with free cash and zero rated VAT. 

As for banning Red Bull to kids, I do think it's a good idea as excessive caffeine fucks you up, but as Frank Hovis said it's a poor time for Treason to do anything other than either go No Deal or fucking resign.

4 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

The only easily managed situations would have been either an utterly shameless move straight to EEA membership ie no Brexit at all

Maybe I shouldn't turn yet another thread into a Brexit argument but I have to strongly disagree with you there. I voted Leave and would very much like us to join the EEA, or EFTA, or whatever the technicalities of it are- as I did when I voted Leave. We get out of the customs union, CAP, CFP etc. and yet keep all the free trade benefits, for a relatively trivial annual payment. Yes we also have to accept the free movement of Labour, but I don't regard immigration from within Europe as a particular problem, Roma gypsies aside. Sort out our ridiculous benefits system and that problem will go away too. Sorry, but it gets on my tits when people talk of EFTA membership as a betrayal of the Leave vote- like I say, I voted Leave, and I'm strongly in favour of it, as were quite a few other Leave voters I personally know.

As I understand it you live in a country that seems to do alright in EFTA? :p

4 hours ago, SNACR said:

Sounds like energy drinks are being banned to kids.

Now I doubt it's a bad thing and they're not something I'd buy except for a possible one off when I was tired or hadn't got much sleep . However, there seems to be a bit too much of a fondness for banning things with this government.

My particular favourite was Amber Rudd (and Treason May) before her attempting to ban the laws of mathematical logic. That was a cracker that one.

3 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

As for banning Red Bull to kids, I do think it's a good idea as excessive caffeine fucks you up, but as Frank Hovis said it's a poor time for Treason to do anything other than either go No Deal or fucking resign.

I tend to be against prohibition generally,  so I am unquestionably biased. 

If what you say is true though,  I would have thought the argument should be that caffeine is banned for sale completely.    

4 hours ago, dgul said:

Again we blame the children.  Like usual, the problem is children emulating adults -- if you want to change their behaviour change adults' behaviour.  If you ban something you just make it 'an adult thing', and make the kids want to add it to their behaviour as they turn 18.

I listen to Julia Hartley-Brewer's morning show occasionally and this exact point came up.

The guest on the show said something along the lines of "parents find it difficult to say no to their children".

Her response: "I'm a parent and it's a responsibility of being one. If they want, I'll come and say no to them. I'm good at that."

18 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I tend to be against prohibition generally,  so I am unquestionably biased. 

If what you say is true though,  I would have thought the argument should be that caffeine is banned for sale completely.    

It isn't caffeine, it's excessive caffeine. Reducing the amount of caffeine in them would be a good idea; do people really need to be drinking that much of the stuff just to function? How about going to bed earlier or fixing your diet so that you don't need to consume so much of the stuff.

Even just a warning on the front that excessive caffeine causes heart problems might be a start. I'd wager that most people don't realise the risks of consuming high caffeine drinks constantly.

Just now, spunko2010 said:

It isn't caffeine, it's excessive caffeine. Reducing the amount of caffeine in them would be a good idea; do people really need to be drinking that much of the stuff just to function? How about going to bed earlier or fixing your diet so that you don't need to consume so much of the stuff.

There's an ad on TV for a remedy for heartburn keeping people awake at night.

Probably rather heartlessly, I think to myself "Just stop eating half a Dundee cake immediately before bed"

1 minute ago, Rave said:

Maybe I shouldn't turn yet another thread into a Brexit argument but I have to strongly disagree with you there. I voted Leave and would very much like us to join the EEA, or EFTA, or whatever the technicalities of it are- as I did when I voted Leave. We get out of the customs union, CAP, CFP etc. and yet keep all the free trade benefits, for a relatively trivial annual payment. Yes we also have to accept the free movement of Labour, but I don't regard immigration from within Europe as a particular problem, Roma gypsies aside. Sort out our ridiculous benefits system and that problem will go away too. Sorry, but it gets on my tits when people talk of EFTA membership as a betrayal of the Leave vote- like I say, I voted Leave, and I'm strongly in favour of it, as were quite a few other Leave voters I personally know.

As I understand it you live in a country that seems to do alright in EFTA? :p

I would have agreed with you before but I don't any more, I was not in favour of Leave at all at the time of the vote and advocated rather that Britain first make it's internal systems fit for Europe, then lobby from within to improve Europe.

But now it's all different. The vote and the behaviour of all sides since has changed things.

1. It's pointless remaining in the EU, we have zero credibility

2. It is clear that changing the benefits model is not even up for discussion. They couldn't even get Gidiot's tax credits changes through never mind making it contributory.

3. The EU have shown they have no interest except in punishing the people for voting Leave.

Yes the Swiss do fine in EFTA but they have superb internal systems including a contributory benefits system and it takes 10 years or more to get a passport. And it has the best democratic system in the world. Not a comparable situation to that of Britain, which is going to have to fall first, and fall hard, then reform itself if it can even do it.

Plenty of research shows caffeine can be good for you. I don't do organic chemistry but have seen drawings of the caffeine and cocaine molecules and it's hard for a layman to tell the difference. 

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

It strikes me that the jury is still very much out on that,  I could only find this from Web MD:

Baylin and colleagues suggest caffeine causes short-term increases in blood pressure and sympathetic nervous activity that could trigger a heart attack. On the other hand, previous studies have shown coffee drinkers may be at decreased risk for Parkinson's disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancers.

I don't think they want to ban it from kids because it has long term health implications,   I think it's more because it makes them over active and disrupts their sleep patterns if they stay up all night chugging them so they can beat their mates at [insert latest computer game here]. 

I'm a bit more old school in believing parents should choose what their kids do..  not start criminalising ever increasingly petty and medically unsubstantiated activities that some people worry about.  If you just want to legislate that everything has health warnings on it,  I guess that's not quite so bad..  but still unnecessary and patronising IMHO.