• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

sarahbell

help homelessness please

https://www.landlordtoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2018/8/new-forest-council-calls-on-private-landlords-to-help-reduce-homelessness

Across the district there are already 117 properties in the scheme, but the council hopes to attract significantly more private rented homes with a view to renting them to vulnerable people who need accommodation in the district.

If only there were an organisation set up to deal with this sort of issue - you know someone like the New Forest District Council? 

Posted (edited)

Hmmm.

While the idea itself is laudible I think you'd have to be a pretty brave landlord to trust what is probably your greatest asset to it.

I've met and lived next door to people who are officially classified as 'vulnerable', while this can include the type that you'd expect under the classification - the elderly, the chronically unwell - it also includes junkies, antisocial pissheads and various other manifestations of the sort of folk you wouldn't want living next door to you let alone in your house.

The council would need to make these important distinctions before I would even consider such a scheme if I were a landlord.

Another thing that isn't mentioned is insurance. I doubt an insurance company would want to touch one of these tenancies with a bargepole.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

Posted (edited)

These people are "vulnerable" for a reason.

Addictive personalities, no self-control, mental issues.

Incapable of looking after their own lives let alone other people's property.

Edited by Fischer

13 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Hmmm.

While the idea itself is laudible I think you'd have to be a pretty brave landlord to trust what is probably your greatest asset to it.

I've met and lived next door to people who are officially classified as 'vulnerable', while this can include the type that you'd expect under the classification - the elderly, the chronically unwell - it also includes junkies, antisocial pissheads and various other manifestations of the sort of folk you wouldn't want living next door to you let alone in your house.

The council would need to make these important distinctions before I would even consider such a scheme if I were a landlord.

Another thing that isn't mentioned is insurance. I doubt an insurance company would want to touch one of these tenancies with a bargepole.

The council wouldn’t make the distinction though as this would be viewed as discriminatory. An example.  When my kids were at primary school, they were forever gett8ng nits. We were forever getting letters to tell us that nits had been reported. There was one child in the class who was a breeding ground for them. Feckless parent could not care less and never dealt with the problem. 

I had a word with the teacher and asked whether they could have a quiet word with said feckless person. 

Oh no, that would be discriminatory. Ffs. 

10 minutes ago, One percent said:

The council wouldn’t make the distinction though as this would be viewed as discriminatory. An example.  When my kids were at primary school, they were forever gett8ng nits. We were forever getting letters to tell us that nits had been reported. There was one child in the class who was a breeding ground for them. Feckless parent could not care less and never dealt with the problem. 

I had a word with the teacher and asked whether they could have a quiet word with said feckless person. 

Oh no, that would be discriminatory. Ffs. 

And for that reason alone, it would be a cold day in hell before I relied on the council to look after any asset of mine.

It's pretty standard and has been for years; known as Private Sector Leasing.

However the ones the councils usually get are the ones that can't be let privately because they're in such a poor state.  One of my staff who worked with them used to (jokingly) threaten to take me out to one in all its damp stinking HMOness.

Anyone volunteering their nice well maintained three bed house for such a scheme is a mentalist.

58 minutes ago, Fischer said:

These people are "vulnerable" for a reason.

Addictive personalities, no self-control, mental issues.

Incapable of looking after their own lives let alone other people's property.

Yes, completely. I know of someone who is 'vulnerable' (mental health issues) who lives alone apart from her son who has learning difficulties.

I have been to their house once, it was the filthiest place I have ever seen in my life. It is her own home that she owns outright from inheritance, although it is in serious need of renovation. They have several dogs which make a big contribution to the filth. Judging by the thickness of the layer of dogs hairs on the carpet I would estimate that the carpets get hoovered about once a year.

"Vulnerable people" in council parlance = rapefugees.

Sod that. Although councils do pay 3x the going rate apparently. Perhaps I would consider it.

3 minutes ago, null; said:

Yes, completely. I know of someone who is 'vulnerable' (mental health issues) who lives alone apart from her son who has learning difficulties.

I have been to their house once, it was the filthiest place I have ever seen in my life. It is her own home that she owns outright from inheritance, although it is in serious need of renovation. They have several dogs which make a big contribution to the filth. Judging by the thickness of the layer of dogs hairs on the carpet I would estimate that the carpets get hoovered about once a year.

Yep I too know vulnerable people. There appears to be a lack of self control with consumption of all kinds which equals loading up on food ( getting fat) and collecting junk. the house certainly wont get cleaned if you rent to a vulnerable person because it will soon become filled to the ceiling with stuff. If you don't own real assets junkl and hoarding become very important as does food.

7 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Sod that. Although councils do pay 3x the going rate apparently. Perhaps I would consider it.

As is often the case, there are genuine 'vulnerable' people who need and deserve help, but of course these things are open to abuse. One example being travellers being defined as 'vulnerable'.

7 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Yep I too know vulnerable people. There appears to be a lack of self control with consumption of all kinds which equals loading up on food ( getting fat) and collecting junk. the house certainly wont get cleaned if you rent to a vulnerable person because it will soon become filled to the ceiling with stuff. If you don't own real assets junkl and hoarding become very important as does food.

Yes, the one I know is fat as well and also has physical health problems resulting from the obesity. Didn't see much in the way of hoarding but there was a lot of junk around the house and garden.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Even 3x the going rate isn't going to make much of a difference if you can't insure the place or the premiums are so high that it makes it unviable.

There is a very good reason insurance companies ask if a landlords tenants are on benefits, especially since universal credit where the rent goes straight to the tenant themselves. 

You'd need your head examining even considering it IMHO.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, null; said:

As is often the case, there are genuine 'vulnerable' people who need and deserve help, but of course these things are open to abuse. One example being travellers being defined as 'vulnerable'.

Yes, the one I know is fat as well and also has physical health problems resulting from the obesity. Didn't see much in the way of hoarding but there was a lot of junk around the house and garden.

Vulnerable status and serious health issues have their rewards  in terms of enhanced benefits so is it in any wonder we create these vulnerable fat people who are unable to work and get mental issues. And just to make sure they stay disabled we have food banks now too.

Sounds harsh but the benefit lifers I know are obese, disabled and mainly have diabetes or serious leg ulcers. It is a taboo subject like immigration.

Edited by crashmonitor