• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

Would you like the planet all to yourself?

Would you use it?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you press the button?

• Yes
    • No

"Thought for the day" ;)

Inspired by two things I watched recently - one is a series called "Day 5" and the other, this piece from a classic Doctor Who story in which Davros (creator of the Daleks) is asked:

If you had created a virus that would destroy all life in the universe, would you use it?

Of course, as a megalomaniac, Davros agrees that he would.

It isn't essential to watch the video. But this got me thinking. The idea of walking around the planet unencumbered by, frankly, anyone else, with total freedom, intrigues me.

I'm not a megalomaniac and my proposition is slightly different.

The question is this:

If you could press a button which would make all other human and animal life on the planet vanish instantly, painlessly (important), as though they had never existed in the first place, except for the people you chose to have in the room with you:

Would you press it?

(I've set the poll to be anonymous)

Just now, DTMark said:

You can still have the plants.

I would need the animals, eventually with no humans around those goats might come in handy to while away the winter hours ;)

Just now, Oskar said:

I would need the animals, eventually with no humans around those goats might come in handy to while away the winter hours ;)

You could keep some animals in the room with you and breed them.

I thought this part important because otherwise, the planet would become overrun by species more successful and adaptable than we are.

The plants won't last long alone.

If you could remove all humans and leave the animals then maybe, not because I hate everyone, they're just hard work.

In case anyone wondered, my answer is that I'm not sure though I have a definite bias in one direction.

This is of course all highly hypothetical. Whether or not it would actually "work" is not something I've thought through in enormous detail since such a thing isn't possible anyway.

I'm genuinely intrigued to see which option wins the poll.

8 minutes ago, DTMark said:

"Thought for the day" ;)

Inspired by two things I watched recently - one is a series called "Day 5" and the other, this piece from a classic Doctor Who story in which Davros (creator of the Daleks) is asked:

If you had created a virus that would destroy all life in the universe, would you use it?

Of course, as a megalomaniac, Davros agrees that he would.

It isn't essential to watch the video. But this got me thinking. The idea of walking around the planet unencumbered by, frankly, anyone else, with total freedom, intrigues me.

I'm not a megalomaniac and my proposition is slightly different.

The question is this:

If you could press a button which would make all other human and animal life on the planet vanish instantly, painlessly (important), as though they had never existed in the first place, except for the people you chose to have in the room with you:

Would you press it?

(I've set the poll to be anonymous)

People I might actually be able to get in the same room, or a proper fantasy harem?

Just now, DTMark said:

You could keep some animals in the room with you and breed them.

I thought this part important because otherwise, the planet would become overrun by species more successful and adaptable than we are.

With that clarification let's push that button. My nominated animal is a great titted Margot Robbie.

Just now, Hail the Tripod said:

People I might actually be able to get in the same room, or a proper fantasy harem?

Let us suggest that the room would be large enough for an extended family, some animals and some "friends".

Posted (edited)

Ahh, missed the key bit about some other people. I would not want to be alone. I'd probably include some self sufficciient Tribes' people in the room, perhaps from the Amazon, or the Himba people from Namibia, or Aborgines

In which case 'yes'

But actually, I'm fine with a world with people. I just wish all people had a better understanding of nature and how it works, which is no less important than Maths and a language in the school curriculum IMO.

Edited by Hopeful

23 minutes ago, Kilham said:

The plants won't last long alone.

If you could remove all humans and leave the animals then maybe, not because I hate everyone, they're just hard work.

I am sure the plants would be fine, after all they have been around for about 2bn years longer than humans or whatever it is. :Geek:

I voted Yes, on the basis that I can live in Barbados.

Oops, I picked the wrong one. :ph34r:

An island would suit me fine. Along with another, nearby island with a selection of the previously alluded to great-titted actresses/models etc. Theyd need a separate island because Im not sure me and my cats could put up with their company on a permananent basis.

The rest of the world can keep existing, so long as it never intrudes on me or my attempt to kill myself by a combination of dehydration and friction burns.

So I voted No.

I voted "no".

But, in my dreams, getting rid of a few (billion) useless idiots would be just great as humans are too numerous right now and it's a problem. (So a few billion less would be nice as long as we still have decent healthcare and food.)

In reality, impractical to decide who gets zapped without being tribalist. Also I might be caught on the wrong side of the algorithm output file even if I pgmed it myself?!  (Nb I am retired and haven't done much for the world in a while now!)

Guess if it's an instant painless (without warning) death I might not mind. ;)   (Even thought I am still functioning pretty well for my age!) 

I pressed yes immediately upon seeing the thread title.

I love the planet and the wildlife. Most humans are sorta OKayish. Lots I would get rid of - mainly the ones planning to get rid of me and people like me.

I would like a button to relocate every muslim to the Arabian penisular and then put a huge force field around it. Feel sorry for the animals there then.

But the rest of us, of all other religions and none, could then crack on making the world a better place for us all.

Posted (edited)

No but as a child I did fantasise about it. In the 80s there were some computer games in post apocalyptic settings and they did inspire my imagination at the time. 

In reality without power supplies and people to maintain infrastructure, things would rapidly take a turn for the disastrous and I would end up dying of diarrhea from drinking contaminated water.

220px-Mindfighter_Cover.jpg

Edited by ThePiltdownMan