• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Rare Bear

Any Urology gurus on here?

I’ve got an enlarged prostrate, pretty common in a man of my age, 68.

I'd gone to the GP, he prescribed his favourite combine medication and sent me for a blood test. PSA was high so I was sent for and MRI. They did nor like to look of one bit of the prostate in the MRI so I was sent for a biopsy. The guy doing the biopsy screwed up the local anaesthetic and it was agony.  I'm not sure if it was a screw or whether he was just in too  much of a hurry to do it properly as they had stared late due to the nurse being at a meeting and I was the last one before his lunch. Anyway biopsy was clear.

The tablets worked reasonably well, I was only up once or twice a night and the fuel gauge rather than my urged to pee governed when I had to stop when going anywhere. I had another scheduled follow up with a urologist and said just have a PSA check every 6 months or so and come back if it went up to 7.

Next blood test it was exactly 7 so back to the urologist. Another MRI and again one bit of the prostate looked a bit strange so another biopsy. This time it was a trans perennial done under a proper anaesthetic. Needless to say I had made it very clear that no one was touching me again without a proper anaesthetic.

When I woke up I basicly could not pee. After a few hours delay a catheter was put in and the surgeon said to remove it after a week. The nurses did seem a bit surprised at it only being left in for a week but I paid not attention. I want back after a week and the catheter was removed. I managed to pee enough to satisfy the nurses and was sent home.

Over the next few weeks I felt worse and worse I was bloated and my ankles were seriously swollen. Eventually my GP sent me to the hospital for an ultrasound scan and the next day, when he saw the results he sent me back to have a catheter inserted. He reckoned that surgery, TURP, was what was really required. 

I went to the hospital and a catheter was eventually inserted. A urologist came to see me and agreed that a TURP was the way to go and it should go ahead in 3 or 4 weeks,

The hospital held on to me overnight and the next day a senior urologist came around with his entourage. His view was that we should try different combinations of drugs first before going for surgery. A while after he left the ward there was one young woman doctor there who suggested that I should be happy to self catheterise for the rest of my life!

Anyway, I went home with a catheter and a supply of drugs. When I next saw the GP he was not too impressed.

A month or so later I was invited back to have a trial without catheter but the hospital contacted me a couple of days before it was due to say that another urologist had reviewed tha case and wanted to see me before the TWOC. He was of the opinion that the TWOC was pointless ans I needed surgery and it could be arranged in the reasonably near future. Great I thought.

Sometime later, maybe a couple or three months later I was invited to the hospital for a pre anaesthesia check up. Then the check up was postponed thane a while later it did happen. Great I thought.

Three months or so later on I have heard nothing more.

Now a couple of questions.

The first and obvious one is how the fuckcan I gee them up?

The next one is this. Since all this screwing around I have read of a procedure that inject steam into the prostate to kill off a portion of it. It does sound sensible as it actually destroys prostate tissue without having to destroy the urethra. (My understating of the mechanism of the TURP  is that the urethra itself is destroyed in order to destroy some of the prostate tissue).

It does sound attractive, quicker procedure, not having to eat hospital food for several days and more prostate tissue removed. The reckon about 37% and a friend of mine who had a TURP about 10 or 11 years ago said that the surgeon had remove about 25% of his prostate. By now he is having problems again and is looking at another procedure so removing a larger amount looks attractive.

Is there any way to try to arrange for this treatment, Rezum by name, vi my GP? It is supposed to be available on the NHS but how can it be accessed?

40 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

Is there any way to try to arrange for this treatment, Rezum by name, vi my GP? It is supposed to be available on the NHS but how can it be accessed?

No idea, but jeezus wept am surprised you're not suing.

So sorry to hear of your experience.

In a few cases in our family, a visit to the GP recounting the tale of what has happened, or more accurately what has not happened, resulted in the furious GP speaking with those responsible and things moving along.

Might it be worth another trip to see the GP and running through the now extended time period over which this has all happened?

57 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

I'd gone to the GP, he prescribed his favourite combine medication and sent me for a blood test. PSA was high so I was sent for and MRI. They did nor like to look of one bit of the prostate in the MRI so I was sent for a biopsy. The guy doing the biopsy screwed up the local anaesthetic and it was agony.  I'm not sure if it was a screw or whether he was just in too  much of a hurry to do it properly as they had stared late due to the nurse being at a meeting and I was the last one before his lunch. Anyway biopsy was clear.

The tablets worked reasonably well, I was only up once or twice a night and the fuel gauge rather than my urged to pee governed when I had to stop when going anywhere. I had another scheduled follow up with a urologist and said just have a PSA check every 6 months or so and come back if it went up to 7.

Next blood test it was exactly 7 so back to the urologist. Another MRI and again one bit of the prostate looked a bit strange so another biopsy. This time it was a trans perennial done under a proper anaesthetic. Needless to say I had made it very clear that no one was touching me again without a proper anaesthetic.

When I woke up I basicly could not pee. After a few hours delay a catheter was put in and the surgeon said to remove it after a week. The nurses did seem a bit surprised at it only being left in for a week but I paid not attention. I want back after a week and the catheter was removed. I managed to pee enough to satisfy the nurses and was sent home.

Over the next few weeks I felt worse and worse I was bloated and my ankles were seriously swollen. Eventually my GP sent me to the hospital for an ultrasound scan and the next day, when he saw the results he sent me back to have a catheter inserted. He reckoned that surgery, TURP, was what was really required. 

I went to the hospital and a catheter was eventually inserted. A urologist came to see me and agreed that a TURP was the way to go and it should go ahead in 3 or 4 weeks,

The hospital held on to me overnight and the next day a senior urologist came around with his entourage. His view was that we should try different combinations of drugs first before going for surgery. A while after he left the ward there was one young woman doctor there who suggested that I should be happy to self catheterise for the rest of my life!

Anyway, I went home with a catheter and a supply of drugs. When I next saw the GP he was not too impressed.

A month or so later I was invited back to have a trial without catheter but the hospital contacted me a couple of days before it was due to say that another urologist had reviewed tha case and wanted to see me before the TWOC. He was of the opinion that the TWOC was pointless ans I needed surgery and it could be arranged in the reasonably near future. Great I thought.

Sometime later, maybe a couple or three months later I was invited to the hospital for a pre anaesthesia check up. Then the check up was postponed thane a while later it did happen. Great I thought.

The next one is this. Since all this screwing around I have read of a procedure that inject steam into the prostate to kill off a portion of it. It does sound sensible as it actually destroys prostate tissue without having to destroy the urethra. (My understating of the mechanism of the TURP  is that the urethra itself is destroyed in order to destroy some of the prostate tissue).

It does sound attractive, quicker procedure, not having to eat hospital food for several days and more prostate tissue removed. The reckon about 37% and a friend of mine who had a TURP about 10 or 11 years ago said that the surgeon had remove about 25% of his prostate. By now he is having problems again and is looking at another procedure so removing a larger amount looks attractive.

You need to find out what surgeons and hospitals do the procedure, bring the list to your GP and ask to be referred to one of them for the procedure. Then it's up to the PCT if they'll pay for you to go out of area (assuming that's necessary)  and the surgeon to accept the referral. 

Posted (edited)

Agree with the others - your treatment sounds dire! (Poor you.)

I also read (with interest) that recent news article about a (non-surgical) approach to enlarged prostates using steam - even though I am a woman! Sounds great but probably quite hard to get on NHS as so new?

How much would it be to get it done privately if you could afford it?

Background (and reason for my interest) is my husband had an enlarged prostate for which he has since been (successfully) treated. (Operation in the UK but was private - not thru NHS.) 

Frequent weeing was his main symptom, as well as low flow/not feeling that the bladder was 100% emptied. And reading up (online) realised that he really wasn't such a bad case compared to many others.

In his case it was just annoying and becoming embarrassing sometimes when out and about. (And disrupting his sleep.)  And he knew it would only get worse so decided to try to get it sorted out as soon as he could.

He had known it might become a problem for him for about 10 yrs before, as it had been noticed quite early on (company medicals every few years where quite thorough in which his prostate got checked automatically) that his prostate was enlarging, and obviously one fears cancer. But his PSA was always OK. (And still no sign of that so far.)

About his treatment ...

He's not British and we were living in the UK only temporarily. So he decided to go private for his treatment otherwise he knew he wouldn't be classed as urgent on NHS and he was still working/we were planning to move to France. Going private gave us much more control over when which was important. (And luckily we had BUPA which covered most of the cost.)

He saw a BUPA-approved (random) urologist (surgeon) who agreed that my husband was a suitable candidate for the Green Light Laser surgery, and said he was willling to do it for him if he wished.

We had tried to research the options before we saw the doc, and again afterwards. (Before taking the decision for surgery.) Knew that the Green Light laser option is not suitable for all cases but is less invasive and with a quicker recovery time.

So we were happy to go along with that proposal. (Treatment is always a bit of a risk but the odds seemed favourable.)

There was a general anaesthetic and one night in hospital, just to make sure there was no post-op shock and that he could wee before he left etc. He was easily able to walk out - just a bit sore for a couple of days but nothing terrible at all. Doc/surgeon had said that the pee flow would improve immediately. While frequency would reduce over time/months. (Maybe up to 6 months for the bladder to re-educate itself or whatever.)

All went as advised/expected. No complications. So it was a good result for us! (And well worth the money.)

Nb Husband says he heard once that there are 2 types of men ; those who already have an enlarged prostate and those who will get an enlarged prostate later. ;) So might be an interesting topic for all the men on here!

Anyway, hope you can get your issue sorted and get back to a better quality of life ASAP.  (Feeling "well" is so important.)  

Edited by whocares

Husband says he heard once that there are 2 types of men ; those who already have an enlarged prostate and those who will get an enlarged prostate later. ;)So might be an interesting topic for all the men on here!

Thanks for that interesting post. I think I will follow up with my GP. I am fed up having to get up at night for a wee.

21 hours ago, Rare Bear said:

You probably know all this but for the sake of clarity, BPH or benign enlarged prostate is very common in older men and while the symptoms of increased need to urinate are annoying and can be uncomfortable, medication that aims to reduce the size of the prostate (Finasteride) or counter the urge to pee (Alpha Blockers such as Tamsulosin) is often very helpful.

PSA tests can be a useful measure of prostate health but are far from being an accurate indicator of whether cancer is present.

The accepted maximum figures for a particular age can be a guide but as an example, my PSA has been in the 8-10 range for several years, much above what would be typical for a man of my age.

BPH symptoms, a high PSA and a digital rectal examination (DRE) identifying a much enlarged prostate with a granular texture is, I believe, a good reason for a biopsy or other further examination though bear in mind that Finasteride and biopsy will each affect subsequent PSA scores.

It sounds as though things were going along OK for you after the first biopsy but rapidly went downhill after the PSA went to 7 and you had a second biopsy.

Assuming neither biopsy indicated cancer, it seems the situation with catherters, TWOC and TURP is confused and I’m unclear why another type of procedure - Rezum - would be indicated.

Would it not be best to get back to the situation after the first biopsy, i.e. no indication of cancer, medication making life bearable and only a raised PSA to worry about?

That way, 6 monthly PSA checks plus DRE’s will give you and the GP an opportunity to use Watchful Waiting to see how quickly - if at all - PSA is rising and leave TURP or Rezum as possible future treatments if and when medication ceases to be effective?

Easy to say at a distance and not suffering the problems you’ve had to endure but rather than a surgical procedure I think I would be pushing the GP and urologist to get rid of the catheter and return to medical treatment of BPH.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Duck said:

You probably know all this but for the sake of clarity, BPH or benign enlarged prostate is very common in older men and while the symptoms of increased need to urinate are annoying and can be uncomfortable, medication that aims to reduce the size of the prostate (Finasteride) or counter the urge to pee (Alpha Blockers such as Tamsulosin) is often very helpful.

PSA tests can be a useful measure of prostate health but are far from being an accurate indicator of whether cancer is present.

The accepted maximum figures for a particular age can be a guide but as an example, my PSA has been in the 8-10 range for several years, much above what would be typical for a man of my age.

BPH symptoms, a high PSA and a digital rectal examination (DRE) identifying a much enlarged prostate with a granular texture is, I believe, a good reason for a biopsy or other further examination though bear in mind that Finasteride and biopsy will each affect subsequent PSA scores.

It sounds as though things were going along OK for you after the first biopsy but rapidly went downhill after the PSA went to 7 and you had a second biopsy.

Assuming neither biopsy indicated cancer, it seems the situation with catherters, TWOC and TURP is confused and I’m unclear why another type of procedure - Rezum - would be indicated.

Would it not be best to get back to the situation after the first biopsy, i.e. no indication of cancer, medication making life bearable and only a raised PSA to worry about?

That way, 6 monthly PSA checks plus DRE’s will give you and the GP an opportunity to use Watchful Waiting to see how quickly - if at all - PSA is rising and leave TURP or Rezum as possible future treatments if and when medication ceases to be effective?

Easy to say at a distance and not suffering the problems you’ve had to endure but rather than a surgical procedure I think I would be pushing the GP and urologist to get rid of the catheter and return to medical treatment of BPH.

I do realise that the PSA test is not a reliable indicator of prostate cancer. Its like seeing a car with a flashing indicator. The only thing that the flashing indicator means for certain is that the bulb is working. In the same way an indication of PSA only means for certain that there is a prostate there.

TWOC is simply Trial Without Catheter, take out the catheter, drink a couple of litres of water and measure how much you pee. TURP is transurethral resection of the prostate. The situation with the TWOC and catheters was that when I went for the TWOC they decided that I did not need the catheter, I was sent home without a catheter and that was when things started to go really badly. I do suspect that the catheter was removed too soon  1 week, after the biopsy. The nurse seemed surprised that it was to be but that is what the surgeon ordered.

Whereas going back to where I was after the first biopsy would be a great improvement on the current situation apparently the drugs tend to become less effective after a couple of years whereas everyone that I have met who has had a TURP procedure has seemed happy with the outcome.

The reason that I was wondering about the Rezum procedure was that it strikes me as much more logical to destroy some of the prostate tissue without having to destroy part of the urethra. 

Rezum or not, I would like to get myself to a different hospital as I have lost all faith in the urology department there. In fact, having seen their performances with several other patients I have no faith whatsoever in them.

Edited by Rare Bear
Edit to add: One of the drugs for BPE does affect eysight. Not badly but a bit.

1 hour ago, Rare Bear said:

Whereas going back to where I was after the first biopsy would be a great improvement on the current situation apparently the drugs tend to become less effective after a couple of years whereas everyone that I have met who has had a TURP procedure has seemed happy with the outcome.

The reason that I was wondering about the Rezum procedure was that it strikes me as much more logical to destroy some of the prostate tissue without having to destroy part of the urethra. 

Rezum or not, I would like to get myself to a different hospital as I have lost all faith in the urology department there. In fact, having seen their performances with several other patients I have no faith whatsoever in them.

The reason I wrote the situation with catherters, TWOC and TURP is confused and I’m unclear why another type of procedure - Rezum - would be indicated is because I was trying to understand why it was impossible to successfully perform TWOC and thereby return to the post-1st biopsy position with the major problems handled by medication.

If, as you say, the medication is ineffective after a while and a potential side-effect could affect eyesight (Tamsulosin/Flomax and intraoperative floppy iris syndrome - IFIS?) then Rezum does seem worth exploring further. If TURP is the only realistic option I suppose there’s a calculation to be made as to whether potential complications of retrograde ejaculation, incontinence and erectile dysfunction are something you might have to deal with.

I certainly understand your feelings about the urology department you’ve been dealing with. Everything from insensitive bedside manner to outright incompetence via delay and contradiction is the last thing you need.

If you have faith in your GP and s/he can arrange for you to see an urologist at a different hospital that might help with regaining some confidence in the system but failing that and if funds allow, I would be tempted to see someone privately with a view to them reviewing all the notes and test results and advising on the best course of action, whether that be privately or via the NHS but armed with an authoritative “outside” opinion.

Sorry to hear you’re having to go through all this and hope you have more luck in the near future.

Best wishes

37 minutes ago, Duck said:

The reason I wrote the situation with catherters, TWOC and TURP is confused and I’m unclear why another type of procedure - Rezum - would be indicated is because I was trying to understand why it was impossible to successfully perform TWOC and thereby return to the post-1st biopsy position with the major problems handled by medication.

If, as you say, the medication is ineffective after a while and a potential side-effect could affect eyesight (Tamsulosin/Flomax and intraoperative floppy iris syndrome - IFIS?) then Rezum does seem worth exploring further. If TURP is the only realistic option I suppose there’s a calculation to be made as to whether potential complications of retrograde ejaculation, incontinence and erectile dysfunction are something you might have to deal with.

I certainly understand your feelings about the urology department you’ve been dealing with. Everything from insensitive bedside manner to outright incompetence via delay and contradiction is the last thing you need.

If you have faith in your GP and s/he can arrange for you to see an urologist at a different hospital that might help with regaining some confidence in the system but failing that and if funds allow, I would be tempted to see someone privately with a view to them reviewing all the notes and test results and advising on the best course of action, whether that be privately or via the NHS but armed with an authoritative “outside” opinion.

Sorry to hear you’re having to go through all this and hope you have more luck in the near future.

Best wishes

Interesting, the eyesight bit. I had heard about the floppy iris syndrome two or three years back when i was on the fringes of a project to write a system for an eye surgeon. It was just a by the way bit of information, of no real interest to me. Then a while later when I was on the Tamsulosin tablet I was seeing an eye doctor about dry eyes. I mentioned teh floppy iris syndrome to her and she reckoned that it had no noticeable effect on the eyesight and the only problem was when doing cataract surgery. However there was a definite improvement in my eyesight when I came off the tablets. The funny thing was that I did not notice the degradation when I went on them but I did notice the improvement a while after I came off them.

I tend to pay attention to the eyesight as I had problems getting an initial CAA medical. By problems I mean that the AME referred me to the CAA in house doctors. I dont think CAA in house doctors exist these days.

9 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Saw this and thought of the OP, the more I read I'd rather they leave my prostate the fuck alone:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-45400694

ffs. poor bastard. They absolutely ruined him, they're lucky he's not seeking more than just money, if they did that to me it would end up as a film as I faked my own death then hunted them all down one by one. >:(

2 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

ffs. poor bastard. They absolutely ruined him, they're lucky he's not seeking more than just money, if they did that to me it would end up as a film as I faked my own death then hunted them all down one by one. >:(

I'm surprised he hasn't killed himself in all honesty. Only thing stopping him is probably the fact that his wife is being loyal and sticking by him.

9 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Saw this and thought of the OP, the more I read I'd rather they leave my prostate the fuck alone:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-45400694

I think, when the time comes, I'll just be living with getting up all the time in the night to have a piss.

Either that, out go to a country with a functioning health system to have the operation.

13 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Sooner or later someone of a fair age and with  no assets and no close family is going the be screwed around badly by them and take proper revenge.

I took DTMark's advice and spoke to the GP again. He advised me to write to the consultant and ask if he could expedite things. In fact I had a check up sort of appointment with someone in urology scheduled for a couple of days after I spoke to the GP and he expressed regret and astonishment at the delay in getting treatment arranged. He emailed whoever was supposed to be in charge of the booking of appointments and promised that she would be in touch with me on the following Monday at the latest, this being a Thursday.

Monday came an went as did the rest of the week and no contact from the appointment person. So I wrote to the consultant on the Saturday, recorded delivery and I have just had a phone call from the girl who does his appointments.

The bad news is that the earliest she can get me in is the beginning of December. The good news is that the man himself is to be doing the procedure. Don't want to mention his name but he does seem to have a pretty good reputation.

26 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

My friend has had 14 biopsy samples taken last week. 

With or without proper anaesthesia?

Hope the turn out to be clear.

I know that I had 12 taken the first time when the guy screwed up the anaesthesia. Don't know how many it was the second time that left me unable to pee.

39 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

With or without proper anaesthesia?

Hope the turn out to be clear.

I know that I had 12 taken the first time when the guy screwed up the anaesthesia. Don't know how many it was the second time that left me unable to pee.

He was awake and flinched at the click. He said there was a lot of blood after. 

On 04/09/2018 at 07:06, spunko said:

Ah, the envy of the world strikes again. 

Without wanting to hijack the thread (for a change) I had mixed experience of NHS this week.

I attended A&E on Sunday with flashes in my eye. After I descrbed my symptoms the medic pronounced I had a torn retina before examining me. I spent the next 2 days near panicing as the flashes got worse and I feared it might result in a detached retina. On Monday at midnight I even rang 111.

I got to the (rapidly arranged) Emergency Eye Clinic appointment on Tuesday afternoon. The eye specialist said I did not have a torn retina, merely a PVD, a common eye condition that is not serious.

So on the plus side it was not as bad as I was originally told, on the minus side I had 2 days of unnecessary and avoidable worry.

Not sure I want to entrust my prostrate to such people when the time comes.

In the meantime I take Finasteride, which also prevents me going bald and ending up like XYY.

Edited by Happy Renting

On 20/09/2018 at 13:29, Rare Bear said:

I took DTMark's advice and spoke to the GP again. He advised me to write to the consultant and ask if he could expedite things. In fact I had a check up sort of appointment with someone in urology scheduled for a couple of days after I spoke to the GP and he expressed regret and astonishment at the delay in getting treatment arranged. He emailed whoever was supposed to be in charge of the booking of appointments and promised that she would be in touch with me on the following Monday at the latest, this being a Thursday.

Monday came an went as did the rest of the week and no contact from the appointment person. So I wrote to the consultant on the Saturday, recorded delivery and I have just had a phone call from the girl who does his appointments.

The bad news is that the earliest she can get me in is the beginning of December. The good news is that the man himself is to be doing the procedure. Don't want to mention his name but he does seem to have a pretty good reputation.

Will you get it sorted out before Xmas then?

I've read through this entire thread,  and, although bizarre medical procedures on the nether regions have been discussed, no one has yet mentioned aliens or spaceships.

Edited by Bod