• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Melchett

Stupid design of modern cycling shorts

Posted (edited)

I know Im not the only MAMIL on here, so has anyone else noticed the trend in the last year or three for cycling bib shorts to get longer and longer in the bib? The last three pairs Ive bought, from different people, all have the front fabric up to almost nipple level, making it totally impossible to go for a pee unless you strip off your top and drop the shoulder straps. The way the trend is going I expect the next pair will go up to my neck. And the only pairs I have with zips in the front are a ten year old design anyway.  Do the people who make these garments not realise that cyclists go riding for hours and the older gents, who must make up a good majority of their customers, cant hold it in all day?

I dont have a 2 to 3 foot long trouser snake, so whipping him out over the top is not an option. Likewise, these things are tight as fuck in and in modern designs the leg goes right down to the knee, where there is a 'cut off the circulation band', making the other potential exit point for your trouser hose impractical too (plus the only time I tried it Im pretty sure the shorts never sprung back to their original shape).

Are the people who design these things all morons? Or is there a darker, anti-MAMIL conspiracy at play here?

Edited by Melchett

I’ve never worn cycling shorts and don’t cycle these days either so my comment is merely about fashion and consumerism.

The fashion industry has captivated many people. Around my area there are still a few who cycle in their everyday clothing with some wearing a helmet. It’s not busy around here and I’d choose to wear everyday clothing I have and would not wear a helmet if I acquire a bicycle.

However, the majority of cyclists around here have embraced the prescribed cyclists clothing and accessories. Advanced materials that’ll make you feel and look great etc! People have cycled for years without special designed clothing to ride a bike. In some areas I would definitely wear a protective helmet when cycling though.

If cycling shorts are not comfortable maybe think about other clothing that fits the bill?

Good advice Van Lady... I would indeed wear normal clothes to cycle across town, and wouldn't need to stop for a pee on such a ride so the problem doubly wouldn't arise.    

I'm not referring to down the shops cycling for my problem though. I'm an ex racing cyclist, being doing it since I was a kid 40 years now, back then cycle shorts were wool and the insert really was chamois leather, and the rides where I'd wear those shorts are...  typically several hours long, and, let's just say I wouldn't be able to do those distances at those speeds in civvy garb. Or at least not twice.

But yes, people shouldn't feel they have to wear Lycra for normal utility cycling. Or even light recreational cycling: The last two years I have done the Tweed Run, often referred to as the anti-Lycra ride. But I'd typically knock off the distance of that day long fun ride in my lunch hour on my racing bike.

4 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Good advice Van Lady... I would indeed wear normal clothes to cycle across town, and wouldn't need to stop for a pee on such a ride so the problem doubly wouldn't arise.    

I'm not referring to down the shops cycling for my problem though. I'm an ex racing cyclist, being doing it since I was a kid 40 years now, back then cycle shorts were wool and the insert really was chamois leather, and the rides where I'd wear those shorts are...  typically several hours long, and, let's just say I wouldn't be able to do those distances at those speeds in civvy garb. Or at least not twice.

But yes, people shouldn't feel they have to wear Lycra for normal utility cycling. Or even light recreational cycling: The last two years I have done the Tweed Run, often referred to as the anti-Lycra ride. But I'd typically knock off the distance of that day long fun ride in my lunch hour on my racing bike.

I never give advice, just my thoughts, and respect your thoughts as a long term competitive cyclist.

There are, IMO, opportunities out there for independent manufacturers to provide decent and functional clothing for activities without the “designer” labels and associated advertising/marketing costs.

That’s the problem though....mass indoctrination of what one needs to live and participate in activities.

An independent provider of functional activity clothing is really up against it with globalist manufacturing and marketers.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

I never give advice, just my thoughts, and respect your thoughts as a long term competitive cyclist.

There are, IMO, opportunities out there for independent manufacturers to provide decent and functional clothing for activities without the “designer” labels and associated advertising/marketing costs.

That’s the problem though....mass indoctrination of what one needs to live and participate in activities.

An independent provider of functional activity clothing is really up against it with globalist manufacturing and marketers.

You can get sort of normal looking cycling clothing, but it tends to be from posh designers and costs a fortune. TBH, I find for most outdoor pursuits, from gardening to utility cycling, there budget walking/camping gear you can get in most towns is more than adequate.

Edited by Melchett

4 hours ago, Melchett said:

I know Im not the only MAMIL on here, so has anyone else noticed the trend in the last year or three for cycling bib shorts to get longer and longer in the bib? The last three pairs Ive bought, from different people, all have the front fabric up to almost nipple level, making it totally impossible to go for a pee unless you strip off your top and drop the shoulder straps. The way the trend is going I expect the next pair will go up to my neck. And the only pairs I have with zips in the front are a ten year old design anyway.  Do the people who make these garments not realise that cyclists go riding for hours and the older gents, who must make up a good majority of their customers, cant hold it in all day?

I dont have a 2 to 3 foot long trouser snake, so whipping him out over the top is not an option. Likewise, these things are tight as fuck in and in modern designs the leg goes right down to the knee, where there is a 'cut off the circulation band', making the other potential exit point for your trouser hose impractical too (plus the only time I tried it Im pretty sure the shorts never sprung back to their original shape).

Are the people who design these things all morons? Or is there a darker, anti-MAMIL conspiracy at play here?

I can highly recommend Lusso Bib Shorts, they can be expensive as they are handmade in Manchester but shop around online as the more discerning outlets up North sell them.

https://lusso.bike/product-category/mens/bibshorts/

A typical pair, is that low enough.

image.png.7a3a2685c102de8103078a53f063b1cf.png

Built quality and materials are superb, I get 2 years out of a pair which equates to about 10,000 miles before I polish the arse semi-transparent.

Recently I have been getting the carbon look ones but those batique style ones look funky enough to cover up with a top.

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

I can highly recommend Lusso Bib Shorts, they can be expensive as they are handmade in Manchester but shop around online as the more discerning outlets up North sell them.

Built quality and materials are superb, I get 2 years out of a pair which equates to about 10,000 miles before I polish the arse semi-transparent.

Recently I have been getting the carbon look ones but those batique style ones look funky enough to cover up with a top.

Cheers. I might be tempted to give them a go.that looks as though it might be doable with the old trouser snake and the stretchy qualities of Lycra. ;)

18 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Lusso 'Handmade in Manchester - Ridden Everywhere'

As they say themselves.

Quote:-

John and Dorothy Harrison formed Lusso and began trading in 1982.

Prior to forming Lusso, John rode International Cycling Events in both Europe and USA.
He was very disappointed with the lack of comfort of all cycle wear at that time. The Jerseys seemed to get hotter and hotter as the race wore on and then began to sag and turned into very ill fitting items by the end of a race. The baggy wool acrylic shorts featured a chamois leather that wasn’t at all comfortable, which also had a negative effect when riding regularly.

Between training and working part time, John attended night school studying Fabric Technology and Design. It was at this point he started experimenting with fabrics and design to address the issues he believed contemporary cycle wear suffered at the time.

You could say that John and Dorothy meeting was synchronistic, as Dorothy was a member of an elite Marks and Spencers test team. M&S at this time only worked with quality materials and designs which lead to high customer satisfaction and very low returns. Dorothy worked in the team as a sample machinist on stretch fabrics, including swimwear and underwear. Her understanding of the importance of each garments stretch and correct stitch length to the inch, the thread for different applications and considering comfort and range of movement with close fitting garments really lent itself to this new joint venture.

Since 1982 we have been developing our product year on year to be better and better, incorporating new designs and fabrics to provide the latest contemporary designs that perform at the very highest level. We are famed for our superb fitting shorts in particular and we have a large loyal following from those in the know.

19 hours ago, Melchett said:

Cheers. I might be tempted to give them a go.that looks as though it might be doable with the old trouser snake and the stretchy qualities of Lycra. ;)

You might have to bend forward at the waist too. That's the other trick. Careful though. 

On 31/08/2018 at 19:22, MrPin said:

Cycling has become a cult, rather than a means of transport. You have to wear special clothes, like Masons.

Yes, but they just have to lift their apron to pee.

Or, failing that, roll up a trouser leg.

If I need to pee (and I can generally hold it in) I do it through the leg on the move, saves mucho time. Pisses off the people I ride with though, if they are behind, as a consequence they prefer to break wind in front.

Lidl shorts are great, cost around a fiver and they don't bother with any fripperies like leg band or too much material up front. If you buy Rapha (and lets face it their target market is the incontinent gentleman cyclist) then you deserve all you get.

Edited by Dave Bloke

On 30/08/2018 at 16:32, Melchett said:

Don't have a problem with my Castellis. Mind you, being a bit of a fat bloke I tend to sweat most of the liquid out of my system and the peeing is generally after the beer I've consumed as a reward for my efforts at the obligatory pub stop

On 30/08/2018 at 20:28, Chewing Grass said:

That inspires me to try cycling in lederhosen.