• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Banned

10p for a bag now

I find loads of retailers have dropped the 5p bags and only offer the bags for life variant at 10p that I assume favours their coffers and not the government environmental quango gravy train 🚂 one can only assume these will end up being 20p!

'Bags for life pose a food poisoning risk, the food safety watchdog has admitted.'

It's only a matter of time before this tax is applied to other recyclable plastic waste such as packaging and bottles. 

It's also only a matter of time before the sugar tax is levied on sweets, chocolate and such like.

4 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

I find loads of retailers have dropped the 5p bags and only offer the bags for life variant at 10p that I assume favours their coffers and not the government environmental quango gravy train 🚂 one can only assume these will end up being 20p!

'Bags for life pose a food poisoning risk, the food safety watchdog has admitted.'

It's only a matter of time before this tax is applied to other recyclable plastic waste such as packaging and bottles. 

It's also only a matter of time before the sugar tax is levied on sweets, chocolate and such like.

Thin end of the wedge as they say.

I like the cheaper bags as I find they are easier to srunch up into a pocket where as the bags for life are a bit too bulky. I always leave some in the car to avoid getting caught without a bag.

1 minute ago, null; said:

Thin end of the wedge as they say.

I like the cheaper bags as I find they are easier to srunch up into a pocket where as the bags for life are a bit too bulky. I always leave some in the car to avoid getting caught without a bag.

I find the 5p ones more resistant to tearing than the 10p bag for life ones but what would I know?! They'll have to cover the shortfall in Income Tax receipts.

14 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Our plastic waste hasn't actually changed. We used to use the free bags as our kitchen waste bags (not for the veg waste as that all gets composted). We now have to buy waste bags as the council won't take loose waste.

Same here..  we used to use free bags,  now we use the 10p ones (if you have to pay you might as well get decent ones for just a little more).   So in fact,  our plastic use has increased slightly..  but we do get nicer waste bags as a result.  5p to 10p increase for the thin bags won't affect us.  I presume everyone will just migrate from the thin ones to the decent ones as well.

Just now, Libspero said:

Same here..  we used to use free bags,  now we use the 10p ones (if you have to pay you might as well get decent ones for just a little more).   So in fact,  our plastic use has increased slightly..  but we do get nicer waste bags as a result.  5p to 10p increase for the thin bags won't affect us.  I presume everyone will just migrate from the thin ones to the decent ones as well.

I'm a sad git that resents every uneccessary penny that I spend as I can't spend the same money twice, and I have better uses for all my money.

1 hour ago, Banned said:

That libtard with no brain, spirit or soul is now going to save the planet by charging us more to buy bags for our food, clothes etc..

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/plastic-bag-charge-increase-waste-environment-theresa-may-hammond-treasury-a8514526.html

It’s been 10p in NI for a while , the world has not ended 👍

Stupid solution to the perceived problem , just ban plastic bags and use paper bags 

Simples 

Tbh, I think the bag tax is a good idea. Many people act like dicks unless they are prodded....

Imho, the Government should also be taxing plastic fast food packaging etc. The amount of McDonald's wrappers and Costa cups on motorway verges is depressing.

2 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Tbh, I think the bag tax is a good idea. Many people act like dicks unless they are prodded....

Imho, the Government should also be taxing plastic fast food packaging etc. The amount of McDonald's wrappers and Costa cups on motorway verges is depressing.

You don't need a tax, which creates negative press. Remove the bags from use. Increase the price of a bag for life so it is valued more and make them a bit better. People then have the choice of occasionally buying a bag for life or bringing their own trolley

Foldable+shopping+trolley+anthracite,600

2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

You don't need a tax, which creates negative press. Remove the bags from use. Increase the price of a bag for life so it is valued more and make them a bit better. People then have the choice of occasionally buying a bag for life or bringing their own trolley

I imagine that would lead to  more people like yourself just buying seperate plastic rubbish bags instead.

Just now, Libspero said:

I imagine that would lead to  more people like yourself just buying seperate plastic rubbish bags instead.

but I have to do that already as it works out marginally, cheaper

My mum has OCD hoarding... My brother cleaned out the house this year...

There is a super big bag of carrier bags in the garage about the size of a "tonne bag". It looks like carrier bags have been a good investment :)

I now use thick bin bags for rubbish rather than skinny plastic bags. Probably a greater quantity of plastic 9_9

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, longtomsilver said:

This is the worst outcome.  I don't think people realise quite how low the environmental impact of single-use plastic bags is.  You have to use a 'bag-for-life' loads of times (50 or so, IIRC) before you start to have a lower environmental impact cw disposables.  All easy enough for the eco-warriors, but I bet there's now a high %age of bags-for-life that are only used once or twice.   I suppose I should accept that 'there'll be lower amounts of plastic litter around', only that it hasn't come about -- on the corner by my house there's still daily rubbish squirting around in the wind.  The problem here is actually bad-people, because they absolutely know that no-one will do anything about it.

1 hour ago, Hopeful said:

Our plastic waste hasn't actually changed. We used to use the free bags as our kitchen waste bags (not for the veg waste as that all gets composted). We now have to buy waste bags as the council won't take loose waste.

Yes -- for most people single-use bags were actually used twice -- halving the environmental impact.

51 minutes ago, Malthus said:

It’s been 10p in NI for a while , the world has not ended 👍

Stupid solution to the perceived problem , just ban plastic bags and use paper bags 

Simples 

Paper bags have a much larger environmental impact than single-use plastic bags.

48 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Tax tax tax.  What do you think will happen!?  If you want to reduce waste try to reduce waste.  If you want to reduce rubbish get people to pick up the rubbish.  Taxing people a small amount on an activity that they won't stop because of the tax is merely another way of TPTB getting your money into their coffers.

[by all means think that we'll have rubbish patrols near burger joints paid for by taxes on the burgers, but taxation on its own isn't a solution to the problem]

Edited by dgul

8 minutes ago, dgul said:

Tax tax tax.  What do you think will happen!?  If you want to reduce waste try to reduce waste.  If you want to reduce rubbish get people to pick up the rubbish.  Taxing people a small amount on an activity that they won't stop because of the tax is merely another way of TPTB getting your money into their coffers.

[by all means think that we'll have rubbish patrols near burger joints paid for by taxes on the burgers, but taxation on its own isn't a solution to the problem]

The bag tax has massively reduced the amount of plastic bags sold.... 

You really think the bag tax is about raising cash for the tptb? The retailers give the money raised to good causes... Anyway, the sums raised are relatively trivial.... 

its pretty good value actually, i cant buy anything as useful as a bag for 10p, in fact i cant buy anything for 10p except a plastic bag. When its too knackered it becomes a bin liner in a small bin, depending on the contents that might only get changed after 3 or 4 refills (when it finally gets something wet in it perhaps), overall not bad ROI.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, dgul said:

This is the worst outcome.  I don't think people realise quite how low the environmental impact of single-use plastic bags is.  You have to use a 'bag-for-life' loads of times (50 or so, IIRC) before you start to have a lower environmental impact cw disposables.  All easy enough for the eco-warriors, but I bet there's now a high %age of bags-for-life that are only used once or twice.   I suppose I should accept that 'there'll be lower amounts of plastic litter around', only that it hasn't come about -- on the corner by my house there's still daily rubbish squirting around in the wind.  The problem here is actually bad-people, because they absolutely know that no-one will do anything about it.

Yes -- for most people single-use bags were actually used twice -- halving the environmental impact.

Paper bags have a much larger environmental impact than single-use plastic bags.

I should add that I don't actually like plastic bags.  I'd prefer it if they were used less.  It is just that this plastic bag crusade is just a populist attempt to make people feel good about themselves, without actually impacting on the economy, particularly.  I see this everywhere, from recycling centres, charity shops, etc -- all helpfully making people feel good about their consumption.

What people should do if they want to be more environmentally positive is stop consuming so much crap, most of which is either made from plastic, is packaged in plastic and pretty-much all of which will have been sent to the UK from far-away lands through burning fossil fuels.  I'd extend this to the coffee places (take-out coffee? Buy a flask!) or burger joints (make a sandwich before you leave home!).  But they'll (TPTB) will never, ever suggest this as it would have a massive negative impact on our out-of-control consumption based economy.

7 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

The bag tax has massively reduced the amount of plastic bags sold.... 

You really think the bag tax is about raising cash for the tptb? The retailers give the money raised to good causes... Anyway, the sums raised are relatively trivial.... 

The point was taxing burger joints.  Tax them and people will still buy burgers wrapped in little greaseproof paper and cardboard things, and then throw them out of the car window.  Problem not solved.

On plastic bags sold -- yes, fewer plastic bags are now sold/used.  Now go out and measure the actual quantity of plastic used in plastic bags sold in the UK.  You'll find it will have gone up.

[paper bags are even worse -- not in plastic, but in hydrocarbons used in their production and (particularly) distribution.  Hemp/cotton (etc) bags are even worse again]

Edited by dgul

1 hour ago, longtomsilver said:

I wouldn't mind this so much as long as we got a refund when we did recycle them, like the old glass bottles you'd return to get the deposit back. 

7 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

And I don't think it is about tax (the plastic bag, straw, whatever thing).  It is about making people think that they're doing something positive for the environment, whereas the positive thing is a tiny irrelevance when measured against the sheer consumption, travel, commuting, etc that people do.  Yet they don't worry about that, as they're using a bag-for-life.

I think it is dreadful.

[and people will say 'every little thing helps' or 'if we all do something positive' or some such -- no it bloody doesn't, not really.]

Get most of my shopping delivered and have a couple of cotton shopping bags and if I forget I just don't own up to buying a bag as I do self scan.