• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Frank Hovis

Aretha Franklin - over the top coverage?

Yeah it's a bit of an odd one, from my perspective certainly here in the UK she was effectively a one hit wonder (if you want to be generous a three hit wonder).

You do tend to get that though, there doesn't seem to be a lot of correlation between talent and output and profile when it comes to this sort of stuff. 

Maybe because the media's darling, Obama, was a fan. 

The murder of Jo Cox (and many other stories) shows how powerful the msm are when forcing through their agenda. 

She may very well have been the best female vocalist ever and I suspect touched many peoples lives. For once I don't think the coverage is overblown.

Actually, race may play a part. I would assert that the greatest soul music has been made by predominantly black artists.

George Michael might have thought it a 'scoop' to feature on a record with her, but against her soulful crooning George sounds like a puppy dog making stacatto yelping noises to the extent that it's embarrassing to hear.

RIP Aretha.

Well you lot (apart from DT) may think she was an ordinary musician/singer, I don't. XYY posted this somewhere. Amazing live skills. Perhaps because she inspired many other musicians as much as anything else.

Look at the fuss that was made for Freddie Mercury - fair enough, he was amazing too.

17 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Well you lot (apart from DT) may think she was an ordinary musician/singer, I don't. XYY posted this somewhere. Amazing live skills. Perhaps because she inspired many other musicians as much as anything else.

Look at the fuss that was made for Freddie Mercury - fair enough, he was amazing too.

Great find, but who the fuck was that guy in the helmet doing the introduction?!

She was a great singer but there have been  a lot of other great black American female performers from Mahalia Jackson,Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Lena Horne, Etta James etc. To some extent Aretha Franklins fame is down to when she was born and the time she had her hits.

Posted (edited)

Great singer of course but having had a look at her record here:

Top ten albums in the UK:

One in 1968 - 6

One in 1969 - 9

Then 25, 32, 36, 46, 49, 51.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aretha_Franklin_discography

Compare to Terence Trent D'Arby (who? says anyone under 40); I'm not even picking somebody remotely famous with this one.

1, 8, 11 and 12 1987 - 1995

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Trent_D'Arby_discography

She did much better in the US admittedly but she has loads more fans in the UK now she's died than she ever had when alive.

Edited by Frank Hovis
typo in year

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Great singer of course but having had a look at her record here:

Top ten albums in the UK:

One in 1968 - 6

One in 1969 - 9

She did much better in the US admittedly but she has loads more fans in the UK now she's died than she ever had when alive.

Coming from Detroit and having your hits in the two years after the riots which brought the attention of the world to the city probably helped. As has been said she ticked a lot of boxes for the SJW in the media and she was the right generation to be known to senior news managers. If she had lived to be 100 the reporting would probably have been different.

Reckon some of you are tone deaf or immune to the physical/emotional responses that special voices can generate. Voices like hers, well there just aren't many at all. That clip I posted above literally makes the hairs on my arms stand up, something I've only experienced at live opera before. And I'm not even into her music genre, I find soul to be overrated generally!

Yeah she ticked many boxes for the MSM and I'm sure that's part of it, but she was also special. Way more than is reflected in the numbers of hit albums etc - I would guess Kylie Minogue has had more of those and she can neither sing nor dance or play any instrument (except probably the pink piccolo). 

Comparing Aretha to Whitney is simply not understanding the difference between very talented and gifted have a bit more R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

32 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Reckon some of you are tone deaf or immune to the physical/emotional responses that special voices can generate. Voices like hers, well there just aren't many at all. That clip I posted above literally makes the hairs on my arms stand up, something I've only experienced at live opera before. And I'm not even into her music genre, I find soul to be overrated generally!

Yeah she ticked many boxes for the MSM and I'm sure that's part of it, but she was also special. Way more than is reflected in the numbers of hit albums etc - I would guess Kylie Minogue has had more of those and she can neither sing nor dance or play any instrument (except probably the pink piccolo). 

Not even the pink piccolo sadly.

Yep.

Whitney Houston had a pitch-perfect, powerful voice.

Paloma Faith has a great vocal range.

Aretha Franklin could really sing.

Actually, perhaps ironically - dare I say this - I find that most people pay more attention to the melody and/or the instruments than to the lyrics or the vocal.

Aretha's singing has a very special emotional impact on me. A different impact to the world's greatest dance melodies - they're different worlds.

Bring together some great songs and her vocal and you have something really very special: approaching perfection.

Aretha, like so many others of her era, had the benefit of extraordinary talented musicians, writers and producers.

One of my favourites has to be Spooner Oldham. His keyboards on Lady Soul from 1968 made the album, especially on You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman.

The session musicians, as with the Motown All-Stars contribution at Hitsville, was truly awesome.

Aretha's best records were all-time greats, but let's be realistic, 90% of her music before and after her purple patch were just mediocre. Apart from a brief comeback success with Who's Zoomin' Who, and her duets with Eurythmics and George Mi chael, she was really a novelty cameo for film and TV.  

Aretha in Blues Brothers was little different to Adam Ant with Diana Dors. Oh look there's Aretha Franklin!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spooner_Oldham

I would suggest that the thread reinforces my OP.  A small number of people think she's fantastic whereas the general view is a very good singer who didn't have much of a career.

I know in which camp the aforementioned BBC news editors sit.

There is no criticism of her talent or ability.

Everybody as far as I know really likes The Las' There She Goes, and it gets rediscovered by the radio playlists every couple of years, but for all their undoubted talent I don't think anyone would claim that The Las had a fantastic track record of success deserving of a state funeral whenever one of them pops off.

2 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I was never a fan, I did in fact try several times to see what the fuss was about by listening to a few of her albums but I just never really liked her voice that much. As we all know music is a very personal thing. I'd much rather listen to Dinah Washington or Etta James or Sam Cooke, all of whom give me goosebumps if I'm in the right mood to listen to that kind of music. Aretha Franklin never did.

Also, I don't think it's about race. Recent deaths in music have been massively overblown, black or white or whatever.

A great singer, to be sure, but if you listen to the MSM coverage, the fact that she sang at O'Bumma's inauguration was always mentioned. 

You have to remember that the footage of Obumma's inauguration is to SJWs what the footage of Churchill's funeral is to the likes of us Dosbodderers. 

So anyone connected with it automatically is a legend in the eyes of the MSM. 

16 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

A great singer, to be sure, but if you listen to the MSM coverage, the fact that she sang at O'Bumma's inauguration was always mentioned. 

You have to remember that the footage of Obumma's inauguration is to SJWs what the footage of Churchill's funeral is to the likes of us Dosbodderers. 

So anyone connected with it automatically is a legend in the eyes of the MSM. 

I watched The Blues Brothers with BlueCat junior the other night (he’d never seen it before) and, entirely unprompted, he spent the next week ripping Aretha Franklin and James Brown tracks off YouTube. Quality will out IMO.

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I would suggest that the thread reinforces my OP.  A small number of people think she's fantastic whereas the general view is a very good singer who didn't have much of a career.

I know in which camp the aforementioned BBC news editors sit.

There is no criticism of her talent or ability.

Aretha was a great soul singer but the emphasis is on the word soul. Like a lot of black singers the talent dissipated outside the comfort zone. The song has to be full on to work for her.  I dont think she was as good an interpreter of a song as the jazz greats like Sarah Vaughan or someone like Dusty Springfield who could  cut it as a singer in so many different musical genres from standards through European  ballads to white soul. Anyway once the eulogies have been read and the hype died down time will tell how well her work will stand up.

4 hours ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

I think the fact we’re even discussing it makes you realise how every thing seems to have an agenda or point to push. It’s a sad indictment that she just can’t be celebrated. To some it will seem like a circus, to others, particularly lovies and real fans, it can never be too OTT. 

I really liked her music and had her albums in my Walkman back in the day but I can’t be doing with any of this outpouring or tributes. I just feel this stuff should remain private. The latest is about Ariana ‘Manchester put me on the map’ Grande doing Aretha proud. 9_9