• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Game_of_Homes

UK welfare state thread

I couldn't find a thread dedicated to the state of the UK welfare state, so thought I'd start one and...

...70,000 households affected by the Government's 2 child tax credit limit which came into force April 2017 which only pays out for the first two children in a household born before the cut off date;

https://anonym.to/?http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2018/06/28/revealed-two-child-benefit-cap-hits-70-000-families

Most interesting line:

The actual figures for 2017/18 have turned out lower than predicted.

I'd suggest that the predicted numbers already included an estimate of behaviour change that the policy would introduce.

ie, this shows that more people were playing the CTC game than had been previously realised by government.

1 hour ago, dgul said:

Most interesting line:

I'd suggest that the predicted numbers already included an estimate of behaviour change that the policy would introduce.

ie, this shows that more people were playing the CTC game than had been previously realised by government.

I think so too.

I know one girl how timed it right to have her third. Whether this stops her being a 4x4 I don't know yet. :)

From recent history:-

The Beveridge Report of 1942, (which identified five "Giant Evils" in society: squalor, ignorance, want, idleness and disease) essentially recommended a national, compulsory, flat rate insurance scheme which would combine health care, unemployment and retirement benefits. Beveridge himself was careful to emphasise that unemployment benefits should be held to a subsistence level, and after six months would be conditional on work or training, so as not to encourage abuse of the system.[14] That was however predicated on the concept of the "maintenance of employment" which meant ‘it should be possible to make unemployment of any individual for more than 26 weeks continuously a rare thing in normal times’ [14] and recognised that the imposition of a training condition would be impractical if the unemployed were numbered by the million.[14] After its victory in the 1945 general election, the Labour Party pledged to eradicate the Giant Evils, and undertook policy measures to provide for the people of the United Kingdom "from the cradle to the grave."

Beveridge’s vision is noble but IMO nothing much Overall has changed in 2018. Sigh!

Posted (edited)

My mate is dating a single mum who's family all seem to be professional benefit scroungers.

One has 5 kids, the oldest is 23 and the youngest is 6....so by the time the youngest hits 18 she'll have had 35 years of her life when she's been able to claim bennies for one or more children. Oh and she isn't with the Dad any more and is dating a bloke who has no kids.

Beats getting a job, eh?

Edited by JoeDavola

Saw a couple today who are acquaintances of mine. Male early sixties, female mid seventies. Both retired due to moving here from down south and one of them drawing public sector pension, state pension plus full disability benefits.

In the few years I’ve known them hardly a week passes where one of them doesn’t attend a doctors appointment, hospital appointment, home visits from various NHS depts, prescription to collect.

Today they were talking about their blister pack pills. They’re both taking pills four times a day. Almost 20 a day each......because they want to live longer :o

2 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Saw a couple today who are acquaintances of mine. Male early sixties, female mid seventies. Both retired due to moving here from down south and one of them drawing public sector pension, state pension plus full disability benefits.

In the few years I’ve known them hardly a week passes where one of them doesn’t attend a doctors appointment, hospital appointment, home visits from various NHS depts, prescription to collect.

Today they were talking about their blister pack pills. They’re both taking pills four times a day. Almost 20 a day each......because they want to live longer :o

Has no one explained that the pills will more than likely shorten their lives?  Need to be very careful what prescription drugs are taken. 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Has no one explained that the pills will more than likely shorten their lives?  Need to be very careful what prescription drugs are taken. 

They believe that doctors and big pharma are helping them. I’ve tried subtly to broach the debate regarding the efficacy of taking a cocktail of prescribed drugs but I’m not a doctor so my view is discarded.

Both of them are taking “preventive” medications like statins, aspirin, codeine pain killers plus stuff for “diagnosed” conditions like heartburn, arthritis and I can’t remember what else.

The worried well!

1 minute ago, Van Lady said:

They believe that doctors and big pharma are helping them. I’ve tried subtly to broach the debate regarding the efficacy of taking a cocktail of prescribed drugs but I’m not a doctor so my view is discarded.

Both of them are taking “preventive” medications like statins, aspirin, codeine pain killers plus stuff for “diagnosed” conditions like heartburn, arthritis and I can’t remember what else.

The worried well!

The aspirin might not be a bad ideas but the rest...

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Organ failure.... may as well drink two bottles of red a day. Would be a hell of a lot more fun.

Just now, maynardgravy said:

Organ failure.... may as well drink two bottles of red a day. Would be a hell of a lot more fun.

Ah right so even that is a lie. Brilliant. If you want to stay healthy, keep away from the quacks 

Just now, One percent said:

People go on about the chav benefit class bleeding the coffers dry but IMO this older couple are doing the same. Public sector pension supplemented with state pension and disability benefits along with a sense of entitlement that every minor discomfort should be investigated and a prescription provided.

Dont get me wrong they’re very nice folk but they’re certainly helping to bleed money from the welfare fund.

7 minutes ago, One percent said:

Ah right so even that is a lie. Brilliant. If you want to stay healthy, keep away from the quacks 

Quacks have their uses, they just aren't miracle workers. I knew a heart surgeon who smoked like a trooper. Whenever questioned about it he always had stock blunt answers which included 'if you want to know what you're probably going to die from look at your family history.' and 'How long did you want to live for anyway?'

We need a proper euthanasia debate in this country but no doubt the God bothers would scupper that one. As much as anything else would save a fortune on all those cabbage farms.