• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

One percent

All that really belongs to us is time... but the bastard EU is planning on stealing even that .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45366390

The EU Commission is proposing to end the practice of adjusting clocks by an hour in spring and autumn after a survey found most Europeans opposed it.

Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said millions "believe that in future, summer time should be year-round, and that's what will happen".

i am so glad we are leaving. 

Posted (edited)

Broadly agree with Mark DT, I certainly would welcome Summer time all year round, but wouldnt it be a great opportunity for the EU to reaffirm its belief in democracy (stop laughing at the back!) to hold an EU wide referendum on the matter?

Not holding my breath though.

Edited by Mirror Mirror

I suspect there is a bit of the Scottish issue here for the EU - Scotland always demanding that it is not changed because it means darker mornings for them. Oh, hang on - this will mean Krankie will have to blame the EU and not the rest of us. Has it's good points already.

I'd be up for GMT all year round.  It's also (basically) the same as Universal Time(UTC) which is used for various scientific, tech/internet and military purposes.  Anything internationally recognised that can effectively be standardised to the British version should be encouraged I reckon.

We already have longitude and language, so time would be a nice addition.

5 minutes ago, MvR said:

I'd be up for GMT all year round.  It's also (basically) the same as Universal Time(UTC) which is used for various scientific, tech/internet and military purposes.  Anything internationally recognised that can effectively be standardised to the British version should be encouraged I reckon.

We already have longitude and language, so time would be a nice addition.

Absolutely so. All time comes from Greenwich.

Posted (edited)

'I will recommend to the commission that, if you ask the citizens, then you have to do what the citizens say,' said Juncker, speaking in German.

Is he taking the piss. He needs to mention this to Theresa.

Edited by Battenberg

NO.

Winter mornings are dark enough as it is if you have to get work done before Urban life starts it's day. GMT is a good compromise in winter and 1hr BST is fine in summer. Most of Europe is at a lower latitude, and they can stay there.

41 minutes ago, DTMark said:

In a rare moment I find myself in support of the EU.

Here: nothing to do with overriding democracy but a simple change that could benefit many and one many would want, which does no harm, but it's useful to coordinate.

I'd thought that the only reason we do it now is because we used to do it way back when we all went out farming every day. Different times. There's just no need for it now.

Wash your mouth out. *shudders*. 

I guess if we kept BST all year round it would standardise with CET (assuming they stick to winter clock). 

Would help trade with European if we all worked the same 9-5. Now we just need to move the school hours earlier to prevent so much congestion around rush hour / need for breakfast clubs (or just evict 30m people - including myself). 

39 minutes ago, Panther said:

You can't change the laws of physics. 12 noon is 12 noon because the sun is highest around then. Just get up an hour earlier you stupid bastards.

I’d prefer it if the time of day constantly reflected the reality in nature.

Changing of the clocks is often debated with different groups fighting over what we should do.

Personally I really dislike the shorter daylight hours and it doesn’t matter to me what time the clock says it is. It’s just how it is.

Similarly I loathe Xmas and would much prefer if Winter Solstice celebrations were the norm because it’s in tune with nature and the coming of more daylight hours.

To my reading, they are planning to abolish the directive that says member states must use DST. There doesn’t seem to be any plan to replace it with a directive that says they mustn’t. Seems like a bit of a non story to me.

Spain is southish of us and should be on the same time zone. The reason they are one hour ahead is because Franco wanted to be on the same one as Hitler.

2 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Spain is southish of us and should be on the same time zone. The reason they are one hour ahead is because Franco wanted to be on the same one as Hitler.

This would never work as the Spanish get up late and do nothing, But Germans like to invade Poland precisely on time.

1 hour ago, MrPin said:

Absolutely so. All time comes from Greenwich.

We should take it all with us when we leave the EU. Let them keep their kilos and metres, they'll be useless without our seconds.

I do wonder who will get the charge though.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, MrPin said:

This would never work as the Spanish get up late and do nothing, But Germans like to invade Poland precisely on time.

Sadly for them the Wehrmacht turned up a month late for Operation Barbarossa

Incidentally, Hitler made German soldiers set their watches to CET even when they were on the banks of the Volga outside Stalingrad

Edited by Virgil Caine

2 hours ago, One percent said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45366390

The EU Commission is proposing to end the practice of adjusting clocks by an hour in spring and autumn after a survey found most Europeans opposed it.

Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said millions "believe that in future, summer time should be year-round, and that's what will happen".

i am so glad we are leaving. 

Is there any need to be against something simply because it's an EU initiative? It'll be nicer in the south of the UK if the clocks don't change. Bit tough on the Scots, but they'll be seceding sometime in the next 20 years anyway and can do what they like (unless they then rejoin the EU xD)

I'd vote for double or triple BST year round. Although as I work from home and pretty much set my own hours it actually makes little difference to me. It would be good for the average office worker to have the chance of daylight after work on the winter months.

I'd like lighter evenings, came out of the cinema earlier at 8.10 and it was already quite dark plus it would mean I could walk home from work in the light for longer  and feel a bit safer. The Scots can have their own timezone.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, the gardener said:

I'd vote for double or triple BST year round. Although as I work from home and pretty much set my own hours it actually makes little difference to me. It would be good for the average office worker to have the chance of daylight after work on the winter months.

33 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

I'd like lighter evenings, came out of the cinema earlier at 8.10 and it was already quite dark plus it would mean I could walk home from work in the light for longer  and feel a bit safer. The Scots can have their own timezone.

But what about those who like it or need it to be lighter before they go to work during winter months ?

Edited by Hopeful

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

But what about those who like it or need it to be lighter before they go to work during winter months ?

Let's compromise and move everything by 30 mins, that would really confuse everyone.