• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Reck B

Healthcare pop quiz

Tried to do a poll, but can’t on my phone for some reason.

Anyway, do you have what it takes to be an NHS healthcare professional in 21st century Britain? Let’s see!

Question 1.

A cancer patient is brought into hospital with a family member who provides you with a bag of medication and a list of dosages/times. One of the items on the list says “zoromorph 20mg (x2) 9am and 9pm” the zoromorph is in 10mg tablets. Do you;

a) give the patient 40 mg of zoromorph twice a day

b) give the patient 20 mg of zoromorph twice a day

c) ask for clarification

Question 2.

The patients family notice that the cannula used to administer anti biotics hasn’t been changed for 5 days and leaked slightly during the last dose. Do you;

a) change the cannula immediately

b) say you will tell someone else to change it, risking around half the next dose getting spilled down the patients arm

Question 3.

The patients family have noticed that he is not getting his twice daily blood clot injections as they have not been copied from the list onto his notes. Do you;

a) ignore the family for 2 days and tell them this needs approval from a Dr despite the prescription being written on the box which was brought in on day one

b) quickly seek to resolve the query and administer the medication as prescribed.

question 4

the NHS is

a) the envy of the world

b) a gigantic, expensive shambolic fucking mess.

I sense you currently have a family member in hospital and that you are worried about them being in the (in)capable hands of the NHS?! o.O

I am conscientious so I feel that I could potentially have been a (good) nurse but I know (deep down) that I probably would have been sacked (or I would have resigned if told off) for telling ppl they probably could do with losing some weight if they really wanted to get better!   O.o

Sorry you're going through this.

My parents had a similar experience when one of them was in hospital for a few days recently - it was evident that you needed to have someone with you (a partner/sibling/child) who's smart and knows your medical history inside out so that you can keep the NHS right and stop them fucking up.

Question 1 is actually quite difficult so I'd go with C but I think the correct answer is b :ph34r:

I've got my own one to add based on recent experience. 

5. Does nil by mouth mean: 

a. Do not feed patient

b. Ignore the sign and feed patient

Partner works for one of the (supposedly) better trusts in a specilist unit that appears to be well funded (compared to others at least). Good luck if you ever need treatment. One of the lastest episodes is an admin staff member was found to be hiding urgent referral letters instead of doing their work, so paitents who required immediate treatment post op weren't getting it. To fix this they then had to throw money at it through overtime. I could list so much crap though it's really quite disturbing. Postive for us though is the OT rate is pretty decent so taking in a lot of extra cash at the moment.

Personally if I need any surgery I will be go to EE for it. Would rather take my chances there than on the NHS. The only thing I will ever use the NHS for is for an emergency and probably a bit of diagnosis/screening (if it's not a long wait) or would be expensive private. If you really care about your health be pro-active in looking after it and squilling away a health fund, because really you don't have great odds in getting the adqueate treatment and care you likely deserve.

26 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

Partner works for one of the (supposedly) better trusts in a specilist unit that appears to be well funded (compared to others at least). Good luck if you ever need treatment. One of the lastest episodes is an admin staff member was found to be hiding urgent referral letters instead of doing their work, so paitents who required immediate treatment post op weren't getting it.

Presumably this person has been arrested?

26 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

Personally if I need any surgery I will be go to EE for it. Would rather take my chances there than on the NHS. The only thing I will ever use the NHS for is for an emergency and probably a bit of diagnosis/screening (if it's not a long wait) or would be expensive private. If you really care about your health be pro-active in looking after it and squilling away a health fund, because really you don't have great odds in getting the adqueate treatment and care you likely deserve.

Agree 100% with this, especially the bit in bold. Our generation should save as if there isn't a 'free' health service available, because when it comes to getting treatment the delays could well be so long as to render it effectively useless. Interesting point about going to EE, I'd never thought of that.

9 hours ago, Reck B said:

Tried to do a poll, but can’t on my phone for some reason.

Anyway, do you have what it takes to be an NHS healthcare professional in 21st century Britain? Let’s see!

Question 1.

A cancer patient is brought into hospital with a family member who provides you with a bag of medication and a list of dosages/times. One of the items on the list says “zoromorph 20mg (x2) 9am and 9pm” the zoromorph is in 10mg tablets. Do you;

a) give the patient 40 mg of zoromorph twice a day

b) give the patient 20 mg of zoromorph twice a day

c) ask for clarification

Question 2.

The patients family notice that the cannula used to administer anti biotics hasn’t been changed for 5 days and leaked slightly during the last dose. Do you;

a) change the cannula immediately

b) say you will tell someone else to change it, risking around half the next dose getting spilled down the patients arm

Question 3.

The patients family have noticed that he is not getting his twice daily blood clot injections as they have not been copied from the list onto his notes. Do you;

a) ignore the family for 2 days and tell them this needs approval from a Dr despite the prescription being written on the box which was brought in on day one

b) quickly seek to resolve the query and administer the medication as prescribed.

question 4

the NHS is

a) the envy of the world

b) a gigantic, expensive shambolic fucking mess.

Very sorry to hear this and even sadder to say I'm not surprised. LIke yourself and others, I have also had similiar experiences.

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Presumably this person has been arrested?

Agree 100% with this, especially the bit in bold. Our generation should save as if there isn't a 'free' health service available, because when it comes to getting treatment the delays could well be so long as to render it effectively useless. Interesting point about going to EE, I'd never thought of that.

They couldn't pinpoint exactly who it was as all the admin staff denied responsibility, although it was fairly obvious from what I gather. There is a big issue with nepotism and favouritism, which I'm sure is a problem across the whole NHS.

With that said it's not impossible to get good care. The issue is though the sheer number of patients and it just becomes a lottery with who you are seen by and when. That's why I would rather cut to the chase, know who I'm going to see and pay for it. In regards to the EE I had a friend who went to Poland for knee surgery, was in and out in too shakes at a fraction of the cost of private here. Speaks very highly of the quaility of care.

Just now, Admiral Pepe said:

They couldn't pinpoint exactly who it was as all the admin staff denied responsibility, although it was fairly obvious from what I gather. There is a big issue with nepotism and favouritism, which I'm sure is a problem across the whole NHS.

With that said it's not impossible to get good care. The issue is though the sheer number of patients and it just becomes a lottery with who you are seen by and when. That's why I would rather cut to the chase, know who I'm going to see and pay for it. In regards to the EE I had a friend who went to Poland for knee surgery, was in and out in too shakes at a fraction of the cost of private here. Speaks very highly of the quaility of care.

That's really good to know about Poland; I'll bear that in mind if I need anything done.