• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Stuey

Leftist speech patterns

Wow, just wow...? 

The use of uptalk (and shaming language, rudeness) seems to be fortunately confining itself to lefties and public sector types. 

I used to quite like watching Countryfile on a Sunday but more than half the interviews have been muted recently. 9_9

At least it makes them easily identifiable :ph34r:

I have read a public sector magazine online for a few years and the journos come across as spoiled children.

Every third headline has a "must", "demand" or "urgent" in it.  It's like Owen Jones is the sub-editor, petulantly ranting about stuff and stamping his foot before going away and weeping because he has been ignored again.

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

I have read a public sector magazine online for a few years and the journos come across as spoiled children.

Every third headline has a "must", "demand" or "urgent" in it.  It's like Owen Jones is the sub-editor, petulantly ranting about stuff and stamping his foot before going away and weeping because he has been ignored again.

Sheesh, the ungrateful sod, he should be celebrating that he wasn't punched.

23 minutes ago, gibbon said:

My favourite: Not cool

Wankers

'That's not OK'. 

Really, who says?

3 hours ago, Stuey said:

Wow, just wow...? 

The use of uptalk (and shaming language, rudeness) seems to be fortunately confining itself to lefties and public sector types. 

I used to quite like watching Countryfile on a Sunday but more than half the interviews have been muted recently. 9_9

At least it makes them easily identifiable :ph34r:

Uptalk? Is that when they escalate a reasonable point you're making to something emotional to make you appear irrational?

I used to have an arch-SJW 'friend' on facebook, whenever we were debating something he would accuse me of 'anguish' or some such. We were debating IQ studies and he says 'spare me the anguish over the bad science'. But I wasn't anguished. I just pointed out the article he quoted was shit.

We were discussing immigration and he claimed I was 'vehemently railing against letting in vulnerable people'. But I wasn't vehemently railing against anything, just pointing out that all the evidence was that 20,000 people sat in Calais, having walked there from Eritrea are probably the least vulnerable people you're ever likely to meet.

Bizarre.

My favourite one though is when a migrant ship sinks and 'hundreds are feared dead'. Feared dead? Really? Who is scared that these people are dead? I would bet almost no one.

Migrants “rescued” in the Med, yeah, when they were 5 miles from the N African coast.

So and so “insisted” that they were right. Usually applies when a politician has taken a completely untenable position, but is going to keep on “insisting” that black is white until you capitulate.

Edited by Mirror Mirror

27 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Lefties like to say things are 'problematic'. 

This just means they don't agree with something, but to them of course, that is a major 'problem' because it means that somebody thinks differently to them.

Yep there is a certain smug assurance that half the population are buggering things up because they are too thick, white and uneducated to know what is good for them. Brexit and Trump are cases in point and Jon Sopel is the expert on this new assured leftist smug style of delivery.

Edited by crashmonitor

29 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

Lefties like to say things are 'problematic'. 

Until this Summer never really noticed 'problematic'. Then one by one politicians and assorted opinion formers started saying it. Now it's everywhere.

Last year the same thing happened with 'properly'. I'm scoping 'benign' presently.

One of the reasons these key words become popular is their perceived association with intelligence. For example, in many conversations it would be impolite to say 'that's bollocks', so 'problematic' is a topical substitute.

Many phrases can be traced back to, of all things, F1. Inhabited by intelligent individuals by default, often they need to convey something or nothing by nothing or something.

Hence, Ross Brawn is widely credited with the original usage of 'We are where we are' and 'It is what it is'. Christian Horner began statements with 'No, but yes, no...' and alternatively 'Yes, but no, yes'.

Another source being BBC comedy W1A, which many believe is in fact, a documentary.

3 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Until this Summer never really noticed 'problematic'. Then one by one politicians and assorted opinion formers started saying it. Now it's everywhere.

Last year the same thing happened with 'properly'. I'm scoping 'benign' presently.

One of the reasons these key words become popular is their perceived association with intelligence. For example, in many conversations it would be impolite to say 'that's bollocks', so 'problematic' is a topical substitute.

Many phrases can be traced back to, of all things, F1. Inhabited by intelligent individuals by default, often they need to convey something or nothing by nothing or something.

Hence, Ross Brawn is widely credited with the original usage of 'We are where we are' and 'It is what it is'. Christian Horner began statements with 'No, but yes, no...' and alternatively 'Yes, but no, yes'.

Another source being BBC comedy W1A, which many believe is in fact, a documentary.

I would be amazed if Ross Brawn invented tautology.

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

Wow just wow is horrific. 

Beginning sentences with I mean or So

:PissedOff:

I'm guilty of using the 'Wow' one.

I do agree with the one beginning with 'So' . That annoys me.

What's it with businesses staging Town Hall meetings? I first read it in a newspaper and thought "why is that company taking their staff to the town hall for a meeting when they've got more than enough space to do it at their offices?". A 21st century business holding a meeting in a smelly old town hall? What? Why?

Nah, turned out it's just more business jargon nonsense.

It's just a bleeding meeting!!! :PissedOff:

Edited by Gordie Lastchance

11 minutes ago, Gordie Lastchance said:

What's it with businesses staging Town Hall meetings? I first read it in a newspaper and thought "why is that company taking their staff to the town hall for a meeting when they've got more then enough space to do it at their offices?". A 21st century business holding a meeting in a smelly old town hall? What? Why?

Nah, turned out it's just more business jargon nonsense.

It's just a bleeding meeting!!! :PissedOff:

It's just the name of a presentation where they tell the employees what their great idea for the company is and how it will all work.

Hahahaha, hohohoho.

Yeah right.

Another good one, although this has been pointed out before, is those people who post on Facebook a link to something like 'Neo nazis protest against first Syrian migrants to arrive in Bulgaria' or something with simply: 

'And so it begins.' 

3 hours ago, PatronizingGit said:

Not sure about leftist, but everyone insists in starting sentences with the word 'so' like those punchable kids on US sitcoms do.

This really pisses me off. 

12 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

And so it begins.' 

Yikes my poor avatar!

On 01/09/2018 at 12:35, Fischer said:

Wow, so, some of the comment on here are so, like, regressive.

This is 2018 !!

I know right? 

You need to get on the right side of history!

Edited by whitevanman
Pissed