• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Strawberry

Billy Two Sheds

Insecurity.

Arrogance = dismissing / ignoring your view as valueless without any particular response to it, or alternatively just enforcing a counterview without any broader justification.

Insecurity is a strange and fascinating thing in humans which produces some very weird and wonderful behaviour, as per your example.

5 minutes ago, Fossildog said:

A person in my social circle is what we used to term a Billy Two Sheds. If you said you had a shed he would claim he had two. If you have just been to Tenerife he would have already booked a holiday to Elevenerife. The chap in question claimed to be in the 'TA-SAS' when someone had mentioned they had been in the TA for a year. Is it insecurity or arrogance that causes some people to have to be just a little bit better than everyone else? 

Maybe he is telling the truth and the rest of you are a tad envious :P

Insecurity.

Probably some stuff going back to childhood - not being accept as part of the pack in school, bullying, some abandonment fear re the parents or some wanker parent telling the child that he/she will never amount to anything, be a man, etc, etc. Or all of that.

The really, really, really, good thing to do with such people is to try and befriend them even more. Understand that there is some deep-rooted fear within them and just try to encourage them to be themselves without all the other stuff.

1 minute ago, Fossildog said:

A person in my social circle is what we used to term a Billy Two Sheds. If you said you had a shed he would claim he had two. If you have just been to Tenerife he would have already booked a holiday to Elevenerife. The chap in question claimed to be in the 'TA-SAS' when someone had mentioned they had been in the TA for a year. Is it insecurity or arrogance that causes some people to have to be just a little bit better than everyone else? 

I think its insecurity and something in the upbringing. Have a colleague similar to this, the compulsive lies are endless and just end up being downright hilarious. But it's always through a friend or a particular family member. A friend always manages to be at whatever sold-out event is in the press. His stepdad is apparently in the police force and this is where it gets really fun. Seems to be involved in every major case that's on the news. The Salisbury involvement...I was dying on the inside. He also has a habit of saying "same" as well. So if anyone expresses their opinion "same...same". Very odd. His automatic reaction is to lie so if anyone challenges him it's an automatic instant response. As JP says " Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t" really strikes home whenever he's talking xD. It's got so bad and embarrassing it's quite painful now.

I find this sort of behaviour annoying and tend to call them out in it when I come across it. Does this make me a bad person?

18 minutes ago, Fossildog said:

A person in my social circle is what we used to term a Billy Two Sheds. If you said you had a shed he would claim he had two. If you have just been to Tenerife he would have already booked a holiday to Elevenerife. The chap in question claimed to be in the 'TA-SAS' when someone had mentioned they had been in the TA for a year. 

I worked with him once some time ago.

19 minutes ago, Fossildog said:

If you have just been to Tenerife he would have already booked a holiday to Elevenerife.

That's made my Saturday morning!

I love the way Dosboders' brains work.

:Jumping:

4 minutes ago, NTB said:

I find this sort of behaviour annoying and tend to call them out in it when I come across it. Does this make me a bad person?

I don't think so. They deserve to be called out especially if it's frequent behaviour. Unfortunately, I don't have the balls. I just ignore or don't respond so it should be obvious I don't buy the bs.

2 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

I don't think so. They deserve to be called out especially if it's frequent behaviour. Unfortunately, I don't have the balls. I just ignore or don't respond so it should be obvious I don't buy the bs.

It can be done in quite subtle ways. If someone claims that they have two sheds, tell them that you are thinking of getting one and ask if you can come and look at theirs. Play innocent as they squirm.

15 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I do actually have two sheds.

Don't think, until now, I have ever mentioned it.

So it can't be me.

I've got three sheds. 

2 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I've got three sheds. 

Six here, all much bigger than yours. 

Edited by Funn3r
Had to change four to six

In my early 20's we had friend who whenever we talked about nights out and x number of drinks had been consumed would always butt in with a tale of when he drank x+1 pints.

If anyone was telling us of something they had done, or achieved or something they had bought he was always dismissive of it or made a negative comment. If someone had a new car it would be a comment like "but won't it cost a lot to insure"

For various reasons he was (and still is) very, very insecure and while he often came across badly we all just knew that was just the way he was and accepted it. He is actualy a very decent guy but anyone meeting him for the first time might not think so.

3 minutes ago, null; said:

In my early 20's we had friend who whenever we talked about nights out and x number of drinks had been consumed would always butt in with a tale of when he drank x+1 pints.

You were friends with William Hague?

3 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I've got three sheds. 

Same here, although much to my annoyance the police recently had to make use of them for a top secret investigation. Still they were good coppers and after I helped them solve the case they rewarded me by taking me out on the piss. I must of had 15 pints of lager that night, got so drunk ended up picking a fight with a bunch of ex SAS in the pub, good job I had watched a lot of street fighting videos on youtube, wouldn't of made it out alive otherwise.

I really do have three sheds as well...

3 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

You were friends with William Hague?

What, that lightweight? He could only do 14 pints in a day, seriously I had 15 last night.

3 minutes ago, onlyme said:

You can never have too many sheds, not even admitting to how many I have.

As Mrs Doyle would say: "Go on, go on. Go on." 

Go on, tell us. How many?

I've got two, but I'd like to sneak a third in.

But sheds are hard to sneak past Mrs Lastchance.