• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Libspero

Plastic Pumpkins..

First we had plastic Christmas trees,  now we have polystyrene pumpkins..   the press are getting their knickers in a twist about it.  What is the DOSBODs take?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/09/01/1polystyrenepumpkins-branded-total-madness/

Craft supply chain Hobbycraft, with 85 stores across the UK, is selling polystyrene pumpkins for £1. Similar foam and plastic products can be found online from Amazon and Etsy.

While they may reduce mess in the kitchen and cut down on bent paring knives and orange shavings, environmentalists, customers and MPs are furious at another instance of “pointless plastic” which will soon go to landfill or to pollute the oceans.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Quite. As a kid we did turnip lanterns for guy Fawkes. Dunno why but the whole town did it, along with penny for the guy. 

Probably started pre-street lighting.

4 minutes ago, Option5 said:

So is celebrating Halloween

I thought it originated from our own English pagan roots?  

It is widely believed that many Halloween traditions originated from ancient Celtic harvest festivals, particularly the Gaelic festival SamhainBrythonic festival Calan Gaeaf:[12][13]that such festivals may have had paganroots; and that Samhain itself was Christianized as Halloween by the early Church.

Funny how none of the MPs or environmentalists got their knickers in a twist about the opening ceremony set and all the London 2012 tat 

Can’t imagine anyone’s still playing with their Wenlock soft toy now.

5 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I thought it originated from our own English pagan roots?  

It was but it was a festival, I meant the Trick or Treat celebration was a US import.

An entire article and they don't once mention the environmental impact of the actual pumpkin.  I remember seeing a few years back that the environmental impact of a fake Christmas tree is lower than a real one after 3 years -- I'd imagine this is similar.

[I'd accept that the environmental impact of the pumpkin is quite low if you eat the thing -- but the vast majority don't]

I can see the environmental logic behind making a re-usable one if you're using LEDs to light it, rather than glow sticks.

Would make a fun project. I'd recommend using an Arduino to control it rather than a Raspberry Pi because you have more PWM pins available to make a nice flickering effect.

12 hours ago, One percent said:

Cultural appropriation. Here we do turnip lanterns 

E24A9421-E465-48EC-9553-C18E2D001EEA.jpeg

That's a swede. We used those as kidz. Pumpkins were not available up north in the 70's 80's. 

Cunning probably used Pumpkins - probably got them shipped in. 

11 hours ago, dgul said:

An entire article and they don't once mention the environmental impact of the actual pumpkin.  I remember seeing a few years back that the environmental impact of a fake Christmas tree is lower than a real one after 3 years -- I'd imagine this is similar.

[I'd accept that the environmental impact of the pumpkin is quite low if you eat the thing -- but the vast majority don't]

Halloween pumpkins aren't really edible - horrible, tasteless, watery things.

12 hours ago, One percent said:

Cultural appropriation. Here we do turnip lanterns 

E24A9421-E465-48EC-9553-C18E2D001EEA.jpeg

isn't that a Swede ?

1 minute ago, This Time said:

Halloween pumpkins aren't really edible - horrible, tasteless, watery things.

Use the innards for soup

11 hours ago, dgul said:

13 hours ago, Libspero said:

First we had plastic Christmas trees,  now we have polystyrene pumpkins..   the press are getting their knickers in a twist about it.  What is the DOSBODs take?

We just don't need this plastic shit, and polystyrene is one of the worse kinds.