• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The Generation Game

Phone Solutions (VoIP)

Recommended Posts

Oh great DOSBODS hive mind. Basically I have no mobile phone reception where I live and international employers have been struggling to get in contact with me. 

I have been considering getting a contractless, throwaway VoIP number so that people can contact me on my mobile via WiFi. 

Is this a viable solution to my issue? If so, any recommendations or companies to avoid?

Looks like a number with VoIPfone would be £2pm. Am I missing hidden charges?

I don't care about the number long-term, just want it until I emigrate. 

 

Thanks in advance.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had one for yeas with Sipgate. I recall looking at Voipfone I am sure they are as good. No hidden traps just few quid to connect internet calls to traditional calls.

I am on Three but as you say no reception where I live. They have an app you run on smartphone and it all starts working seamlessly over wifi. Maybe try that for free I am sure the other mobile networks do something similar. 

Also if you're doing voip you don't have to stick with UK number just because that's where you live. Maybe a number from some other country where your clients are would be better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Didn't know you are emigrating. Where are you going?

I have never seen a VOIP service as cheap as £2 per month - what are you getting for that? I can't see that cost on the VoIPfone website.

https://www.voipfone.co.uk/prices_c_minutes_packages.php

 

I'm sure I've mentioned it before. Czech Republic. My wife and daughter are already over there visiting family. 

It was under numbers, not minutes. I'm looking at incoming calls only. 

https://www.voipfone.co.uk/EP_UK_Telephone_Numbers.php

Edited by The Generation Game
Add link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had mine for about 12 years. Originally when I lived with ex and 2 children I used to faint when the phone bill came in. Sipgate is designed for cutting cost of outgoing calls (if you commit to 1000 minutes per month)  and it cut my bill by three-quarters or more. Although I had the 75 quid capital investment of a hardware adapter so the phone still worked like a normal phone from point of view of family.

Now though any voice calls I ever make are over whatsapp, skype, hangouts, and are free anyway. Consider Google Hangouts Dialer app, about 1 American cent per minute worldwide. Doesn't give you incoming number I don't think, but Skype does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Funn3r said:

I have had mine for about 12 years. Originally when I lived with ex and 2 children I used to faint when the phone bill came in. Sipgate is designed for cutting cost of outgoing calls (if you commit to 1000 minutes per month)  and it cut my bill by three-quarters or more. Although I had the 75 quid capital investment of a hardware adapter so the phone still worked like a normal phone from point of view of family.

Now though any voice calls I ever make are over whatsapp, skype, hangouts, and are free anyway. Consider Google Hangouts Dialer app, about 1 American cent per minute worldwide. Doesn't give you incoming number I don't think, but Skype does.

Skype seem to hide their prices but I'm sure I read they were about £7-8pm just for a number. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Generation Game said:

Skype seem to hide their prices but I'm sure I read they were about £7-8pm just for a number. 

 

You can usually get a first month free for Skype - I did a couple of years ago.

Then there is Office 365 which gives you 60 minutes hours of Skype calls a month and a Skype number. Amazon often has a Office 365 deal for around £40 - £60. Might be worth looking into.

https://www.skype.com/en/offers/office365/

Office 365 for 1 user is £50 on Amazon, with 60 minutes of Skype calls per month thrown in, plus a VOIP number.

Office 365 for 5 users is £65 - which means 5 hours of Skype calls per month, but I am not sure how you would do it for the 5 users. You probably get given 5 Skype numbers but you might be able to wrangle it to work as one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

 

You can usually get a first month free for Skype - I did a couple of years ago.

Then there is Office 365 which gives you 60 minutes hours of Skype calls a month and a Skype number. Amazon often has a Office 365 deal for around £40 - £60. Might be worth looking into.

https://www.skype.com/en/offers/office365/

Office 365 for 1 user is £50 on Amazon, with 60 minutes of Skype calls per month thrown in, plus a VOIP number.

Office 365 for 5 users is £65 - which means 5 hours of Skype calls per month, but I am not sure how you would do it for the 5 users. You probably get given 5 Skype numbers but you might be able to wrangle it to work as one.

Is Skype not free these days?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure about Skype; I've got 10 euros free credit which I have had for years but never managed to make a dent in it.

I detest WhatsApp but everyone seems to use it for their voice calls. Why not, it's simple to use and encrypted and would side-step your worries about voipfone or similar. Surprising your international employers somehow don't seem to feel it is appropriate to call you on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our house has a 4G broadband connection and we have some cordless handsets, the base station plugs into the modem which manages the connection.

It is almost flawless. Just occasionally it will glitch. But then when we had a landline it was so quiet you'd strain to hear the other person anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Oh great DOSBODS hive mind. Basically I have no mobile phone reception where I live and international employers have been struggling to get in contact with me. 

I have been considering getting a contractless, throwaway VoIP number so that people can contact me on my mobile via WiFi. 

Is this a viable solution to my issue? If so, any recommendations or companies to avoid?

Looks like a number with VoIPfone would be £2pm. Am I missing hidden charges?

I don't care about the number long-term, just want it until I emigrate. 

 

Thanks in advance.  

I have run 12 numbers with Voipfone for about 8 years. No problems at all.

My favourite feature is when I go on holiday, I pack the phone. Wherever I plug it in becomes my office.

Compared to the old analogue systems it is just bloody brilliant.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I have run 12 numbers with Voipfone for about 8 years. No problems at all.

My favourite feature is when I go on holiday, I pack the phone. Wherever I plug it in becomes my office.

Compared to the old analogue systems it is just bloody brilliant.

 

I see you took the advice of posting on dosbods to kill the boredom of being out with your family. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sipgate would be my choice of service provider - just take the basic pay as you go offering and top up as required.

My favourite softphone app is Zoiper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, One percent said:

I see you took the advice of posting on dosbods to kill the boredom of being out with your family. 👍

My family in law. But to be honest they are better than my family. Which isn't saying much.

But I am back home. Don't have mobile communications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

My family in law. But to be honest they are better than my family. Which isn't saying much.

But I am back home. Don't have mobile communications.

Glad you survived it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.