• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I know there are a few of us on here, so thought id create a thread to share recommendations. No up your arse connoisseur crap. Bottle price limit has to be realistic to us tight bastards on here. 

My recent tipples are the following:

Haig Club, Clubman - Saw it advertised by that ex football spice boy and told myself id never touch it. I then saw it on offer in Teesco for £22/litre and thought fuck it why not. 

Think its rather nice. Meant to be used as a mixer with Coke apparently. But i drink my throat burner straight. Not of that on the rocks shite either. 

Nearly all gone now.

The Black Bottle - Not a fan of peaty Whisky but heard great things about this blend and its cheap as chips too. Bought 75cl a dew days ago and bottle is half finished. Will become my new go to bottle. 

That Haig Club is pretty good - especially when ASDA put it on at £16 for the 70cl bottle.

Now I don't just like Scotch, and other brands discounted recently have been Jameson's Irish Whiskey at 18 quid - very smooth if you like it neat - and the Welsh single malt stuff Penderyn has been down to £25 a bottle, which was very nice at that price.

Other than that - Whyte & Mackay remains my favourite among the cheaper blended Scotch whisky brands. Good value in the Co-op last week at £14 a bottle.

XYY

27 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

@Sucralose Ray Leonard is going to be disappointed just how quickly this has gone off-track.

Not at all old chap. Not at all. :-) 

9 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Had a few Black Bush after a few pints on Friday night , worst hangover I’ve had in years 

7FFE6D7D-0696-4101-B973-FFFD224220FE.jpeg

So is that a recommendation or not? 

Woodford Reserve is my favourite at the moment - favourite bourbon of all time. Incredibly smooth. A huge hit with the ladies also. The reviews of it were so positive that I could not believe just how glowing they all were. They were right.

Never, touch wood, have I had a headache let alone a hang-over the following morning. I highly recommend it.

It is about £32 but one supermarket or another will often have it for £25 or lower - sometimes down to £22. At certain times of the year I have seen it for £18 in Tesco or on Amazon. If you see it on discount it is well worth buying a bottle.

They sell older versions of it for more dosh but I have never felt the need to try.

woodford-reserve-kentucky-bourbon-whiske

Bulleit Bourbon Frontier Whiskey is one that I wanted to love. The bottle alone evokes images of Wyatt Earp, bar-fights and ladies in tight corsets running off-stage as the bullets start flying. It is the bottle. You can imagine John Wayne or Clint Eastwood throwing the bottle up into the air and blasting it after just finishing the contents.

It is all marketing apparently. The brewery only re-opened a few years back. It was one of thousands originally closed down during the Prohibition Era. But now smaller bespoke bourbons are back in vogue the marketing guys are having a field day. For the first few years people claim that they merely bottled other bourbons from different breweries - something which is common in the US apparently.

But then they got their act together and began winning lots of awards for their own stuff.

It is a rough texture - you know that you are drinking a sharp whiskey. Makes you feel kinda tough in doing so. I like it. But I can't drink it.

It gives me a sharp stabbing pain in the same spot on the top of my head the morning after. Never had such a precise hang-over in my life. But if you are a tougher dude than I it is worth a try.

Again, it is sold around £30 but often one supermarket or another will have it for £22 or even £18. Saw it a few times on Amazon for £16.

1511564663587.jpg

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Bulleit Bourbon Frontier Whiskey is one that I wanted to love

Same here, for the same reasons. I found it a bit harsh and hangovery. I kept the bottle though, it's cool :)

53 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Are we allowed to discuss bourbon?

Not sure.

Ive neaver really ha one I like.

I used to drink Wild Trkey - to impress girls. But it really hammered me.

49 minutes ago, One percent said:

Couldn’t resist 

Grebo.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Not sure.

Ive neaver really ha one I like.

I used to drink Wild Trkey - to impress girls. But it really hammered me.

Grebo.

How did you know?  xD  I wonder if anyone else understands that word?  

Just now, One percent said:

How did you know?  xD  I wonder if anyone else understands that word?  

Im not sure how far grebo culture went.

I know it reached the midlands.

Spanking a 10 year old Jura at the moment and it's lovely. I had a measure of the 18 year old stuff in Scotland recently and it was absolutely sublime.

Conversely, I've recently tried Ardbeg whiskey from Islay and it tastes like creosote. I know some people like it a bit peaty and smoky but fucking hell, I felt like I'd just licked the inside of my BBQ. 

Truly minging.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

Ahhhh you can tell you're getting older as you start liking whiskey and listening to bob dylan - and actually understanding what he fucking says ;) 

I tend to get a bottle of single malt at chrimbo and for my birthday, usually whatever is on offer.  The irish whiskey's are nice, as others have said jamesons (very, VERY drinkable) and bushmills.  I don't like the strong peaty tasting whiskey's, they just overpower the taste and taste burnt which I don't like.  I do like the smoother, more complicated flavours and whiskey's that have a touch of oak are heaven.  I tend to have my whiskey just as it is cut with some water, nom.

Glenfiddich is pretty OK, for a special birthday I bought a 15 year old malt - was like nectar

Over the past couple of years I've had Glenlivit which was really quite nice, also had Laphroaig - which I really found quite unpleasant, just too smoky.

Had Bowmore recently, Islay single malt and found that very tasty, smooth and some flowery/honey aftertaste.

Jura is pretty nice, but it's always so frigging expensive

But I tell you guys what was really nice - read some blind taste reviews and an Aldi whiskey came top, I got a bottle last chrimbo - the Glenmarnoch single malt (https://www.aldi.co.uk/speyside-single-malt-scotch-whisky/p/068322237384704) - I believe it's from one of the famous suppliers but obviously they want to keep it quiet so as not to impact their brand.  I found it lovely, it was balanced, not bland had some decent flavours that came through - and for £18 was a bargain.

I like Talisker and Glenmorangie. Father in law loves his Scotch, we went to India a few years ago and got him a bottle of the local. He pronounced it "interesting", he didn't lose his eyesight so it can't have been too bad!

56 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

I like Talisker and Glenmorangie. Father in law loves his Scotch, we went to India a few years ago and got him a bottle of the local. He pronounced it "interesting", he didn't lose his eyesight so it can't have been too bad!

Want to try Talisker but it's always too expensive, when it's on a deal I'll get some.  Glen is a decent tipple ;)