• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Where do the police go to make a cup of tea?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6124113/More-600-police-stations-shut-eight-years-following-20-cent-cut-funding.html

More than 600 police stations in England and Wales have closed in the last eight years, in what is the largest programme closure in history. 

London has lost 100 police stations and Gloucestershire has lost 21 out of 28 stations.

Other cities, such as Bath and St Albans do not have stations at all, a Sunday Timesinvestigation has revealed.

In London, the number of 'significant' calls where police failed to respond within an hour nearly tripled within three years to 2016-17 from 61.602 to 172.847.

A spokeswoman for the Mayor of London office said that closing police stations was the 'stark reality of crippling government cuts'. 

10 minutes ago, One percent said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6124113/More-600-police-stations-shut-eight-years-following-20-cent-cut-funding.html

More than 600 police stations in England and Wales have closed in the last eight years, in what is the largest programme closure in history. 

London has lost 100 police stations and Gloucestershire has lost 21 out of 28 stations.

Other cities, such as Bath and St Albans do not have stations at all, a Sunday Timesinvestigation has revealed.

In London, the number of 'significant' calls where police failed to respond within an hour nearly tripled within three years to 2016-17 from 61.602 to 172.847.

A spokeswoman for the Mayor of London office said that closing police stations was the 'stark reality of crippling government cuts'. 

Which leads to the question - Where is all the Police budget being spent ....

The answer is - Pensions.

Best to declare the Police pension bankrupt, default on it, and start again.

Same goes for Local Auth.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Which leads to the question - Where is all the Police budget being spent ....

The answer is - Pensions.

Best to declare the Police pension bankrupt, default on it, and start again.

Same goes for Local Auth.

As long as they leave mine alone. The money I pay every month beggars belief 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

As long as they leave mine alone. The money I pay every month beggars belief 

Well ... its hard to square a ctax bill of 2k/y with the level of service people get,

TYhen ths theres VAT, income taxes etc etc.

The idea that the UK is some sort of laissez faire low tax economy is a joke.

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Well ... its hard to square a ctax bill of 2k/y with the level of service people get,

TYhen ths theres VAT, income taxes etc etc.

The idea that the UK is some sort of laissez faire low tax economy is a joke.

Agree but they have already reneged on my pension a number of times and my gold plated pension, which I pay well both of 150 per month for wil pay out 

*drum roll*

abot 7k when I’m 67.

We need to stop giving bennies to all comers first.  

30 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Our local station is going, sold off for housing. Apparently they are going to hotdesk at other stations.

Yes,  I assume the sensible answer is more working from home / flexible working.

Perhaps someone has a friend who's a policeman and can tell us..

Just now, Libspero said:

Yes,  I assume the sensible answer is more working from home / flexible working.

Perhaps someone has a friend who's a policeman and can tell us..

This is what a colleague whose husband is an officer tells me. Hotdesking in the main or working from home. I wonder whether we will see police cluttering up Starbucks for hours on end, sipping slowly from one cup of coffee?

53 minutes ago, One percent said:

Agree but they have already reneged on my pension a number of times and my gold plated pension, which I pay well both of 150 per month for wil pay out 

*drum roll*

abot 7k when I’m 67.

I know some in the same boat, right on the borderline for the changes, not far from retirement but don't yet know what that retirement age will be. I understand someone has taken a legal challenge to it and it depends on the outcome?

2 minutes ago, null; said:

I know some in the same boat, right on the borderline for the changes, not far from retirement but don't yet know what that retirement age will be. I understand someone has taken a legal challenge to it and it depends on the outcome?

A group of women have I think but I’m not in their age bracket. Think that’s more to do with the state pension though. 

I very much feel I have had money stolen from me under false pretences. 

59 minutes ago, One percent said:

*drum roll*

abot 7k when I’m 67.

£150x12 is not a lot to pay in.

Just now, Banned said:

£150x12 is not a lot to pay in.

I think it’s more than that but since my wage slip has gone online I don’t look at it. I’ll check tomorrow. Plus, it’s a lot when they keep moving the pension age up. It looks like I’ll not reach it the way things are going. 

Then, we pay shed loads to people who have never paid a penny in. 

Oh well. That’s the lot of the idiot sap worker isn’t it 

1 hour ago, One percent said:

*drum roll*

abot 7k when I’m 67.

Trying to have conversations with Spygurl (and similar types) that over 50% of their Council tax goes on education and social services is a waste of time as they will only ever equate council tax with having bins emptied. 

59 minutes ago, One percent said:

*drum roll*

abot 7k when I’m 67.

In the real world of money purchase a 7K/Year pension pot would need £140000 in it according to inland revenue valuations (if you don't take any cash).

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

In the real world of money purchase a 7K/Year pension pot would need £140000 in it according to inland revenue valuations (if you don't take any cash).

Local government pensions are funded. Schemes may have deficits but the bulk of pension payments come from real funds (unlike the Civil Services and NHS)

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

Whatever. When I signed my contract, the pay in the public sector was less than the private but part of the package was the decent pension. 

Another example of difference is that I don’t get a company car but am expected to use my own car for my employers business. They don’t pay me mileage over 100 miles a day but expect me to travel far longer distances than this. I of course refuse to do so. 

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

I think it’s more than that but since my wage slip has gone online I don’t look at it. I’ll check tomorrow. Plus, it’s a lot when they keep moving the pension age up. It looks like I’ll not reach it the way things are going. 

Then, we pay shed loads to people who have never paid a penny in. 

Oh well. That’s the lot of the idiot sap worker isn’t it 

Tis true, but 7k on top of the state  pension is about 14k.  so not too bad to live on if youve a house paid off. 

4 minutes ago, One percent said:

A group of women have I think but I’m not in their age bracket. Think that’s more to do with the state pension though. 

I very much feel I have had money stolen from me under false pretences. 

I can understand that, I feel that way about my private pension. When I signed up you could take an annuity at 50 years old (if you wanted to) but its since been raised to 55 years old. My pension is worth FA and would be worth even less than FA if I took it at 50, but the point is I had the right to do so if I wanted to.

For various reasons, its not likely that I will live to a grand old age. My probability of getting lung cancer is way above average for the following reasons:

- Used to smoke

- Parent died from lung cancer

- Suffer from a lifelong illness which increases risk of lung cancer

- Have had full chest HR CT scans which increase cancer risk (all be it a small increase). A full chest CT scan is the same as about 400 full chest X-rays.

I'm happy to take what ever I can as soon as I can. My life is likely to be short and I want to make the most of it, part of which is retireing as soon as possible.